Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone!

I have a question, I think I know what answers I might get but I have to ask. Since Friday I have had pretty nasty nausea and not much vomiting but a lot of heaving into the sink to the point where my eyes look blood shot! I felt a tiny nauseous Thursday but it was ok. I am barely getting anything down, I'm lucky to get 24 maybe 30 oz of fluids down, everything makes me feel so sick. I run to the bathroom all the time but it's dry heaving. I'm almost 5 weeks post-op, I felt like this on day 2-3 why now?! My surgeon is 2 hours away, my scheduled check up is tomorrow. My 2 nurse friends suggest for me to go the ER to get fluids. Did anyone have this problem? I fear another endoscopy (I was WIDE awake during my previous one!) Plus my grandmother just died this morning! I don't have time to be sick of hospitals. Ugh.

I respect that you have friends in the nursing field, I would highly recommend you contact the nursing staff that surrounds your surgeon that conducted the surgery because they are trained specifically in Bariatrics, not to say that your friends may not be. Additionally, it keeps your doctor abreast of your current conditions as you will have more follow up appointments in the near future. Yes, I experienced nausea and stomach cramping, both were addressed with medication prescribed by my doctor and mine already sent me home with some chewable medication for nausea after I was released after surgery.

Edited by Sammy 10-30

That was what I was thinking also. I wouldn't go to the ER without calling my surgeon first. But I would ask if he told me to go, if I could go to my local place if it was just for fluids. I'm just sitting here trying to sip and sip. My husband just informed me his stomach is bothering him (other end) he's not nauseous or throwing up. Maybe it's a bug, either way, nausea is the worst! But yes, I would (will?) definitely call the surgeon before I went anywhere.

Maggie 26 so sorry to hear of your grandmother's death. I and many of the other Bariatic Pals will be praying🙏 for you in the coming days.😪

Does your surgeons office have a 24/7 phone line? My office has a nurse line to call for any emergent questions or needs outside of traditional office hours. If they do, I’d call that. But otherwise with a follow up tomorrow, personally I’d be inclined to do my best and wait until the appointment unless it was hugely unbearable. I’m sorry you’re experiencing that!

I'm so sorry about the loss of your grandmother ((hugs))

I agree with the others. Try and call your surgeons team first (I hope they have someone available 24/7.)

So it's been 8 days, in case anyone was wondering, I'm finally feeling a little better. I felt so bad that I didn't even go online lol! I tried everything, zofran, then compazine which worked better maybe, but maybe just sleeping through the nausea was it. Then ginger (which I hate), peppermint (all kinds), sea bands, magnetic pressure point bracelets (basically the same as sea bands) other acupressure, all types of Water. broth, (homemade and store bought) I could get regular Gatorade down, kinda. But anything with artificial sweeteners make me nauseous still, no yogurts, many Protein Shakes, popsiclels, Jello. Makes me feel sick thinking of them. So I'm cutting it out, diluting it or I just let myself have it because I was getting barely 200 calories anyway and struggled with fluids and Protein. I'm not up to full par yet but at least I'm up to over 50 grams of protein and 36+ oz of water, yes more is better but I am still nauseous but I don't want to take the compazine, zofran does nothing.

So im hoping that's it. I've seen many here struggle with months of nausea i pray for them. And i say a big F you to all those who say this is the "easy way out" it's been 6 weeks and it hasn't been easy.