Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Intermittent Fasting -- Are You Doing It?

I'm curious to know who is consciously using intermittent fasting as a strategy and how is it working for you? My RD started us out this way, with 12 hour overnight fast. This week, I reincorporated Protein Shake coffee for my 6AM meal -- 8 ounces with 8 ounces of coffee, so that most of my nutrition is within an 8 hour window (16 hour fast). But maybe not, LOL, if the Protein in the drink is triggering insulin release.

Edited by Apple203

Hmmm, again the comment about the different advice we all receive. I went to a support group meeting last week and the Nurse-Practitioner Facilitator talked about intermittent fasting. She said her research showed that it was quite successful for men, but not so for women. I wasn't planning on doing it anyway, but thought it was interesting.

46 minutes ago, Apple203 said:

I'm curious to know who is consciously using intermittent fasting as a strategy and how is it working for you? My RD started us out this way, with 12 hour overnight fast. This week, I reincorporated Protein Shake coffee for my 6AM meal -- 8 ounces with 8 ounces of coffee, so that most of my nutrition is within an 8 hour window (16 hour fast). But maybe not, LOL, if the Protein in the drink is triggering insulin release.

I did nothing magic for weight loss phase. I just stuck to my plan and worked out to get to goal in 6 months.

My experience: I did IF in my chubby life before surgery, to keep blood sugars at bay etc. I’d eat Breakfast after noon, and then have a dinner. (And often an after dinner snack).

After surgery, with the deficit of everything, fluids, Protein, everything, I think trying for IF is very bad. We should be shooting for drinking Water all the time, protein when we can, and we will get shaky for more protein about every 2 hours. I think that is important during recovery.

Now, 10 months out, I could try and push it longer between meals. I’ve done it here and there. If this is a goal for you (good for the sugar sensitive low carb people), just wait til you are 6 months out. And give it a try, and if you are at work or working out and find yourself shaky for protein, that is TRUE HUNGER and you should give in. Intermittent fasting is for health. It isn’t supposed to make you starving and needing to digest your own muscle for protein. Try skipping an afternoon snack, try skipping a late night snack, or try waiting another hour for breakfast. Don’t deprive yourself of protein.