Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NO SURGERY YET. I have been a coke drinker my whole life! So it’s hard, but i can do diet. It’s not a problem ( i don’t like Diet Coke but i can do Diet Pepsi! Haha) it’s going to be the most hard for me to not be able to drink it after surgery because of the carbonation how long after surgery was anyone able to drink carbonation? When my mom had gastric bypass she couldn’t drink Diet Pepsi for 3 years. I will dieeeee

My instructions said never. But really, since you need to wean yourself off for the surgery and at least a while after, why not use the opportunity to just stop with soda? There's nothing in it that's good for you and you'd already have been through the withdrawal.

NO SURGERY YET. I have been a coke drinker my whole life! So it’s hard, but i can do diet. It’s not a problem ( i don’t like Diet Coke but i can do Diet Pepsi! Haha) it’s going to be the most hard for me to not be able to drink it after surgery because of the carbonation how long after surgery was anyone able to drink carbonation? When my mom had gastric bypass she couldn’t drink Diet Pepsi for 3 years. I will dieeeee

I was like that about my coffee! Lol.

I’m only 10 days post op but I really don’t miss drinking coffee. Slowly gave it up during my pre op diet because I HAD to. Since then, I don’t even crave it. I’m allowed to drink Decaf but I don’t see the sense in it

I never thought I’d be that person. Giving up coffee was my BIGGEST fear. I would drink at least 3 cups a day! But here I am, post op and doing just fine with out it!

U know what i thought i was gonna have the same problem i love coke! But once i started my 2 week preop diet it helped alot to wein myself off of it, now that i had my sleeve 4 minths out i dont crave it too much, i do have diet coke every now and then as a treat. I wasnt able to handle carbonation for like 2-3 months because it burned my stomach and gave it a icky feeling. If u cant get over having coke out of ur life maybe drink it less bubbly with alot of ice.

I haven't had any since the surgery and I don't miss it, but I wasn't a huge soda drinker before. coffee . . . I simply couldn't give up coffee. I didn't have any for a month or two, then had Decaf, then went back to regular and have two cups a day. I was *supposed* to give it up for a year or so, but since different programs differ so much about this, I stretched the rules. About soda, though--they're all pretty much the same. Give it up. See if you miss it for a few months at least before you try it again.

I'm kind of the opposite as in, I was fine drinking no soda pre op. Now that I'm post op all I crave is a coke with ice and a straw.. [emoji24]

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I have been trying to give it up for 3 years - before surgery was in the picture. I found that it IS the carbonation for me, not the flavor. My son just gave me a vapor smoking thing (0 nicotine). I am hoping it will help me get thru this! If you find ANYTHING - please message me! Oh , and he did find a vape flavor that was like coke.

I was told to not even drink soda after surgery, ever.

my NUT said it’s almost like a “gateway” drug for some..leading you to pick bad choices with other high calorie drinks/bad food. Even diet soda.

Edited by Bryn910

I didn't ever think that I could break my diet soda habit but I did it - I really surprised myself. I'm a night nurse and would drink about 40-50 ounces of diet soda a night. I found a Water that I really like (SOBE water) and used that to wean myself off of the soda. I always bring 2 bottles of SOBE each night and am able to get through a shift just with that and no caffeine. I do occasionally still have a soda, as I'm sitting here next to my large Diet Coke from McDonald's, but it is no longer an addiction. It's best to break the soda addiction before you have surgery as cutting it out cold turkey could cause really bad headaches from the sudden lack of caffeine. Good luck!

Edited by kordie

I'm 4.5 years out and still haven't had soda and I loved coke. After being off of it for any amount of time, why even try it? It's not about tolerating it, it's the expansion and possibly the calories. I still crave an ice cold coke, but I had them for 30 years, I know what it tastes like.

I was like that about my coffee! Lol.

I’m only 10 days post op but I really don’t miss drinking coffee. Slowly gave it up during my pre op diet because I HAD to. Since then, I don’t even crave it. I’m allowed to drink Decaf but I don’t see the sense in it [emoji23]

I never thought I’d be that person. Giving up coffee was my BIGGEST fear. I would drink at least 3 cups a day! But here I am, post op and doing just fine with out it!

I am not a coffee drinker at all! Yuck- so that is also a problem haha!

I’m a coffee drinker and seltzer addict!! My program allows coffee, as long as we drink enough Water to stay hydrated. I have moved from always ordering a venti to ordering a tall and most of the time not even finishing it.

I don’t miss soda at all. But it was the carbonation I loved and I really do miss seltzer and sparkling water

I'm kind of the opposite as in, I was fine drinking no soda pre op. Now that I'm post op all I crave is a coke with ice and a straw.. [emoji24]

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Cut out Diet Dr Pepper in the pre-op phase. I am 4 weeks post-op and would kill for one. I’m sure it’s like anything else, once I taste it, I don’t want it anymore. But the crave is there very strong right now! Trying to not give in is hard!!

I agree with the person who said it’s like a “gateway drug”. I still crave a diet Dr Pepper, but I’m glad I’ve kicked the habit. I’ve also been caffeine free for the last 5 months. And it’s been the best thing for me. Try and find good substitutes now. I struggled after surgery to find things to drink. I thought I’d just do Water, but plain Water makes me nauseous. So I experimented and found I love caffeine free herbal teas.

I used to drink a lot of diet soda. I definitely had the caffeine headaches post op from not drinking it. I was not getting my Water in though. I just really dislike water or anything like crystal light, Powerade zero etc. On a good day I was getting 32 oz.

I did a lot of reading about the "evils" of diet soda. There are a lot of studies and although there is correlation between drinking diet soda and negative health effects, no study has shown causation. I also read a lot about stomach stretching from carbonation, and several respected surgeons consider it a myth.

I spoke to my surgeon's PA about what her opinion is on diet soda. She agreed it was unlikely to stretch my sleeve. And she also agreed that there have been no studies showing directly that diet soda caused health problems. She gave me the go ahead to drink diet soda as long as I doubled my Calcium intake, and took in at least 32 oz of non diet soda fluids. Also as long as it didn't lead to any other cravings or bad habits.