Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

There is something in the air...PLEASE HELP!!

OK. I got on the board this morning in order to get some advice for the weird thing my band is doing and already I've read 3 other posts of people who are experiencing the exact same thing I am. I had my first fill on the 2nd on December and I have never felt any real restriction from it. Mostly, I've just had to keep myself on track.

I was scheduled for my second fill this morning but due to passing of my grandmother, I am now in Texas with my daughter to be with my family and to Celebrate her life. Of course as with any funeral, there has been TONS of food and I have been very good but just to give you an idea of my minimal restriction lately, in the last week, I have been able to eat a bagel with lox, cream cheese and onions, I can easily have a Breakfast sandwich in the morning and steak, well, I can eat more steak in one sitting these days than I have ever wanted to pre-band.

Anyway, needless to say, I've had the opportunity to really partake in the last couple of days but I have tried to be good, listen to my band, as quiet as it seems to be. Last night I had some bbq brisket (can't get the real thing in Chicago!!) and I was just fine. Then about 11 last night, I was really thirsty, I usually drink a good bottle or two of Water throught the course of every night. So I went to get one, took a couple of big drinks then BOOM. I thought I was going to die. It was so uncomfortableand painful and I immediately threw up the water without even thinking about it. I thought maybe I had just taken too big of a gulp so I waited awhile and then tried to sip some more but immediately could feel it backing up in my band.

Thinking this was all just a fluke, maybe stress induced, I sat down this morning to have a couple of pieces of bacon that my mom made and before you know, I was salivating, pbing, burping, anything you want to call it but it was bad and uncomfortable. If you read Leatha's post, you will understand and that was the exact same feeling I was having. I am still salivating 2 hours later sitting here writing this and I even had to throw up again this morning. I've tried to have some coffee so smooth things through as well as sip on some water but it just seems to make it worse.

It has gotten better over the last couple of hours but I am really worried about this as I have never had such restriction before. Others have mentioned worrying about something stuck in their band or slippage. Has anyone had this happen and what does it feel like? I am additionally concerned because I am away from home and do not have immediate care here in my parents home if there is something significantly wrong. One point I want make is that it is not pain, like the golf ball pain I have felt when you just eat too much or the wrong things (regular bread can kill me) but an overwhelming discomfort, salivating and the feel of needing to throw up immediately, if I haven't already.

Please help!

Hi Melissa,

I am no expert -I am still a newbie banded 10/19/04. I have had the same thing happen to me since my second fill. I am concerned you had the fill quite awhile ago and then all of a sudden you have major restricition. I think you shoul d stick with liquids until you calm down your system. Call the doctor and tell him exactly what you wrote here. Also I have read here that a woman's time of the month really makes some more restricted than other times....I know others will reply who have more time and experience good luck! I am very sorry about your Grandmother's passing. Take care of your self.

So sorry to hear of your grandmothers death!

When this happens to me (and occasionally it does) I try and remember the last thing I ate before the problems started.

IMHO - from experience - sometimes we think that our food has passed through the stoma and all is well. But! There MAY have been something left behind in the pouch that started swelling and causing the stoma to get blocked two, or three hous later. Thus causing the PB effects. Then everything gets swollen and you have MAJOR restriciton.

I would recommend going to liquids/soup till tomorow morning.... unless you cant keep anything down. Remember, warm liquids are better then cold right now!

Melissa,

I would also say to stick to liquids for a day. If you can drink Water this afternoon and do not have pain, you'll be fine until you get home. There are few things that can be true emergencies with the band. Just stay hydrated.

You could have temporary tightening due to stress or PMS. You could have a delayed restriction due to your fill. Don't worry about rare complications yet. Hang in there.

I'm very sorry to hear about the passing of your grandmother. Hope all is better soon.

Melissa, Sorry to hear about your Grandmother.

I myself am not very restricted, I can eat breads, Pasta, rice things that use to give me trouble are now not a problem except "bbq brisket" and tuna right out of the can.

I had a few bites of brisket last night and could feel it just sit there.! I actually liked the feeling...I had missed that feeling. Now I didn't up-chuck or slim thou. Just wanted to add my 2 cents about brisket!

Do take it easy, are you feeling any better?

Melissa, my condolances for the loss of your grandmother, as far as the pb thing, I don't have the experience, therefor, no advice. Good Luck.

Melissa,

Sorry about your Grandmother.

I had the same problem on Friday eveing I ate Liver for dinner and did not have alot of it, I listened to my band and had just a sip of Water before I went to bed and felt fine. At 3 am it decided to come up I jumped out of bed and had the slime coming up and PB'd needless to say I have just felt horrible since then but I have stayed on Liquids since then and am just starting to introduce solids with no problem just have to take it slow. I do not know what happend but I think for me at least I Should not eat or drink anything after a certain time I ate pretty late that night and I account what happend to that but who knows for sure. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Melissa, I'm sorry for the loss of your grandmother. I feel that is part of the problem. The coordinator for Dr. Jose Rodgriguez lost her father last year and she had to have almost all of the saline taken out of her band until she was over the stress. She has slowly added more, but, evidently, stress is a big restrictor. She also gets real tight when she has sinus draingage. I don't understand it at all, but we sure do learn a lot of variations about the band on these boards. I would do warm liquids until I felt better. Warm is always best when your tight.

Good Luck and keep us informed.

Becki

I am newly banded so can really help but wanted to let you know I am sorry for the loss of your Grandma.

Melissa..did you fly to Texas? Sometimes flying can make your band tighter, something to do with the altitude and can take a couple days to get back to normal....and also stress can do it. If your band slipped you would not be able to drink Water without throwing up. If something was stuck the same thing would be happening. Could it be that there is a piece of brisket stuck in your band? I met a woman today in TJ at Ortiz's office who had a piece of hot dog lodged in her band and could not even keep down water, they had to go in a surgically remove it and unfill her at the same time..After a PB Stay on liquids..trust me I know this for a fact I experienced this all too well.. most Dr's want 24 hrs of liquids after a PB to rest the esophagus or you will just continue to PB. It is a vicious cycle..If you can not keep down water without PBing call your Dr. immediately! Good Luck to you

Melissa,

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I'm new to the band, so unfortunately have nothing new to add. Take care of yourself.

So sorry that you lost your grandmother! You should not eat 2 to 3 hours before you lie down. Brisket is very grainy and needs to be thoroughly chewed before swallowing. Please look at Michelle's thread on esophagitis and the importance of staying on liquids after pbing. Hope you're feeling better soon.

I have been upset since I have had no restriction since my first fill a month ago. I have my next fill scheduled for today and what do I feel the past 2 days but restriction. It is my PMS time and I remember that it was also during my last fill and had restriction during my last fill also. It sucks to only have restriction one week out of the month...I hope my second fill does me better!