Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started weight lifting and I'm now starving every 2/2.5 hours

Hw 292

Sw 286

Cw 219

Goal 180

5'6

Surgery Aug 17 2017

72lbs lost

I consider myself to be a slow loser only losing 72lbs in 8 months... my job requires me to walk 4to7 hrs a day plus 4-5days of cardio per week... my Water and protien intake are where my doc recommended plus extra water when I do high intensity cardio... calorie intake approx 1000cals per day sometimes Lil less sometimes Lil more still rely on protien shakes I track my food with my fitbit app... recently I have started weight lifting and my body is literally screaming at me for food every 2/2.5hours ... it's a really weird feeling... I know it's not from lack of water... tried water loading and it's not helping.... i have approximately another 40 lbs to get me to goal.. also a bit worried about my muscles retaining water during repair also any tips to accelerate my weight loss ... all advice or tips are much appreciated ..sorry this was long winded.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using BariatricPal mobile app

Increase your calories and Protein. You need it to build muscle.

Increase your calories and Protein. You need it to build muscle.

Scared to increase cals as I'm loosing quiet slow already... im that type to stall for 3 weeks to a month... I could increase protien with a protien supplement... thank u for ur reply

You need Protein, clearly. I have the same hunger every 2-2.5 hrs. It’s real hunger, your body needs protein. I always give it fat with the protein. I take a kid’s lunchbox with me on the go, with a freezer pack in it and tiny metal containers with my unflavored, unsweetened whey Protein Powder mixed with full fat plain no flavor Greek yogurt. It doesn’t actually taste good so it is eaten for protein and satisfying the hunger ONLY. Breakfast and dinner at home I will choose tasty food. But mid days I only wish to shut up the hunger and keep on keeping on.

i am losing slower than you, only 53 lbs in 9 mos. but that is ok. And I don’t walk nearly as much as you though I love weights too.

You need Protein, clearly. I have the same hunger every 2-2.5 hrs. It’s real hunger, your body needs Protein. I always give it fat with the protein. I take a kid’s lunchbox with me on the go, with a freezer pack in it and tiny metal containers with my unflavored, unsweetened whey Protein Powder mixed with full fat plain no flavor Greek yogurt. It doesn’t actually taste good so it is eaten for protein and satisfying the hunger ONLY. Breakfast and dinner at home I will choose tasty food. But mid days I only wish to shut up the hunger and keep on keeping on.

i am losing slower than you, only 53 lbs in 9 mos. but that is ok. And I don’t walk nearly as much as you though I love weights too.

Thank you so much for your response. .. never thought of mixing protien with yogurt....great tip... I was a bit confused if it was head hunger or if my body was actually needing the extra fuel....I just realized today I was leg pressing 6 45kg plates for my heavy set... somewhere around 600lbs... no way body I'd screaming at me.. thanks again... any tips for Water retention?

Definitely more protein....

I always have a shake after working out. If I don't better stay out of my way...lol

And on a side note maybe you are not losing slowly, but instead gaining muscle.

I actually gained weight when I started lifting and working out, but my clothes fit differently and my legs, arms everything had more definition..

If your body is hungry....eat. just make good choices!

Good luck!

Agree on the Protein Shake after a workout - it has made a huge difference for me. I lift and I fence - so if I don't do Protein, it gets ugly fast. My weight has been up a little but my overall body fat numbers are down, so I'm good. I'm not as concerned with the scale at this point (20 months post-op) but more about what I see and how I feel. I want to get my body fat down to about 26 percent - which for a middle aged menopausal woman would be great.

I suggest WheyProtein.....

after your workout with unsweetened almond milk.....

Edited by TxAlpha06

That's my favorite! Whey protien with almond milk! Tastes great.

Unsweetened almond milk has 30 cals per 8oz (less than skim milk). Still has Calcium and other good stuff.

Sometimes I buy 1/2 almond milk and 1/2 coconut milk, mix it with chocolate protien powder, and you have an almond joy shake!

On 4/29/2018 at 1:18 AM, whitmac said:

Thank you so much for your response. .. never thought of mixing protien with yogurt....great tip... I was a bit confused if it was head hunger or if my body was actually needing the extra fuel....I just realized today I was leg pressing 6 45kg plates for my heavy set... somewhere around 600lbs... no way body I'd screaming at me.. thanks again... any tips for Water retention?

Your fear is understandable. And yes, you might gain weight at first... BUT, Larger muscles use more calories at rest than smaller ones, so, building muscles will eventually cause you to lose weight faster than if you hadn't built those muscles at all.

Also, not sure what Water metric your doc has you hitting... but you should be getting upwards of 128oz a day... your body needs water to process and remove fat, you might be ok where you are, but consistently getting more water *WILL* help you flush toxins and process more fat.

But yes, you need Protein, and calories, and water, and bigger muscles to burn more fat. It won't be an instant result and odds are you will gain slightly up front... but it will work itself out in the long run.