Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

CALLING ALL 2 WEEK PRE-OP DIETERS.

Hello everyone! I start my countdown (liquid diet) today for my surgery May 2nd.

The truth is that I was scheduled to start yesterday but the though of having 1 last big meal overpowered me and I gave in. I didn't eat a huge portion, in fact I only consumed about 1/4 of my plate. (Had a small piece of lasagna and small piece of chicken parm) So now I am left with 13 days and just need to get it right. I am planning on having my 3 Protein Shakes worth 90 grams of Protein, 1 bar, and a small plate of veggies. What is everyone else having???

Haha I just started my 3 weeks pre op yesterday. So far (meaning 24hrs [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]) the knowledge that I need to do this so the surgery is easier for THEM is keeping me strong.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I start today. Two to four Protein Shakes plus one meal of three ounces of Protein and one cup of non-starchy vegetables. I intensely dislike and gag on non-starchy vegetables, so I won’t be eating those. Surgery in on May 3. Good luck to everyone as you shrink your livers and get ready for surgery!

I've just moved into my second of three weeks of pre-surgery diet, so am chugging along with you :)

I am mostly having a coffee (with 200ml skim milk) and a scrambled egg for Breakfast. Though now that my Bodie'z clear Protein has arrived I can add 15g protein in my coffee, and might sometimes switch the egg for some cooked rolled oats with a scoop of protein for another 15g.
(I've tried having a Protein Shake for breakfast a couple of times but it makes me queasy for ages, so settling with only having one for lunch after having something more solid in the morning).

dinner time I'm just having lean meat and veggies, with the rest of my family having the same, only more (though sometimes theirs includes some potato or Pasta too).

I had all shakes on my pre-op diet. It was horrible. I still maintain that the pre-op diet is worse than the surgery.

Best wishes folks....and those of you who are allowed to eat Protein and veggies...you're lucky:)

5 hours ago, debbie89 said:

Haha I just started my 3 weeks pre op yesterday. So far (meaning 24hrs ) the knowledge that I need to do this so the surgery is easier for THEM is keeping me strong.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I should remind myself this everyday. Wish me luck 🙏🏻

3 hours ago, brightfaith said:

I start today. Two to four Protein Shakes plus one meal of three ounces of Protein and one cup of non-starchy vegetables. I intensely dislike and gag on non-starchy vegetables, so I won’t be eating those. Surgery in on May 3. Good luck to everyone as you shrink your livers and get ready for surgery!

Let's shrink away! 🙏🏻

3 hours ago, Taoz said:

I've just moved into my second of three weeks of pre-surgery diet, so am chugging along with you :)

I am mostly having a coffee (with 200ml skim milk) and a scrambled egg for Breakfast. Though now that my Bodie'z clear Protein has arrived I can add 15g Protein in my coffee, and might sometimes switch the egg for some cooked rolled oats with a scoop of protein for another 15g.
(I've tried having a Protein Shake for breakfast a couple of times but it makes me queasy for ages, so settling with only having one for lunch after having something more solid in the morning).

dinner time I'm just having lean meat and veggies, with the rest of my family having the same, only more (though sometimes theirs includes some potato or Pasta too).

Thanks for sharing 🙏🏻

I actually only have a 2-day pre-op diet required, but I’m thinking of joining everyone on their pre-op plans as I’m nervous about my liver being too big. I haven’t found many others that didn’t have at least a 1 week pre-op. Anyone have a 2-day liquid pre-op and do okay?

I've already had surgery I'm 10 days post op but wanted to say Good luck everyone!! The pre op is super important but can be very challenging. I had to do a 14day liquid only pre op it was very hard and there was days i wanted to give in But i kept reminding myself it's better for surgery to follow the diet to the T. My surgery went great and trust me they know if you've followed the diet or not. My surgeon said my liver looked awesome he could tell i followed my pre op diet and said my surgery was the easiest one he's done in awhile. So keep your eye on the prize! You've all got this!!! Best of luck!!!

9 hours ago, Kay07 said:

I actually only have a 2-day pre-op diet required, but I’m thinking of joining everyone on their pre-op plans as I’m nervous about my liver being too big. I haven’t found many others that didn’t have at least a 1 week pre-op. Anyone have a 2-day liquid pre-op and do okay?

Maybe try to spend at least the 2 weeks before surgery on a VLCD diet too (even if not using shakes) to try to shrink your liver as much as possible pre-op? Have a look at what you are eating day to day now and figure out how many calories you are used to (I started cutting out carbs and reducing dinner portion sizes from when I made the decision to get the sleeve back in February). The other benefit of the pre-op weeks of VLCD is some rapid weight loss pre-surgery... which means you're starting from surgery day 10lb or more smaller before you get your "metabolism reset" on surgery day which can only be good right? certainly one of our more experienced members posted recently that (statistically) the better success you have with pre-op weight loss, the better your post surgery weight loss is too. That's enough to spur me on to do as well as possible, even though I struggle with taking any artificial foods like Meal Replacement shakes (I"m a natural foods and cooking from scratch kinda mummy).

My mum is a fraction under 5 foot and 81 kilos (BMI about 35) and at 65 already knows she has problems with a fatty liver, along with major knee pain, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and recent heart rhythm malfunctions requiring hospitalisation and cardioversion 3 times in the past 6 months, and my dad (and his mum and sister) all had diabetes by age 65 and he had heart trouble. So there is likely fatty liver as well as other nasties in my genetics and looming as risks post age 40 that I"m hoping my surgery and weight loss can spare me from.

I am down 5 kilos (approx 12 pounds) in the past 2 weeks, but have only been on pre-op diet just over a week. I'm trying to match my husbands current 106kg by the time I get to surgery 2nd May, which would take a drop of another 8 kilos. *fingers crossed!* (says me who just said "no thank you" to my son offering me a chocolate egg.. have been really getting used to saying "no thank you, but thanks for offering" to stuff my kids keep trying to give me lol).

I’m one week into my two week (actually 11 day, surgery is Monday[emoji51])pre-op liquid diet. Been having 2 Premiere Protein Shakes, sugar free jello/pudding, strained cream Soups and broth. Anything that would help to make the surgery more successful is great to me. It has been difficult, but not impossible. I did slip early on and had two bites of cheese one day and a small piece of braunschweiger on another day. I am having a bit of trouble with Constipation now but started a small dose of milk of magnesia yesterday AND just now ordered a”poop stool”[emoji16] I’ve lost 9 pounds in the first week of this liquid diet and can’t wait to get the surgery done! Let’s do this pals!!

My surgery is May 3rd but I wasn’t put on a liquid diet before surgery 🤷🏽‍♀️ . He told me it’s based on my BMI , but I’m wondering if I should still do it even if it’s just for a few days before.

21 hours ago, LauraD84 said:

My surgery is May 3rd but I wasn’t put on a liquid diet before surgery 🤷🏽‍♀️ . He told me it’s based on my BMI , but I’m wondering if I should still do it even if it’s just for a few days before.

Hi Laura, out of interest, what is your bmi?

22 hours ago, LauraD84 said:

We are having surgery on the same day. Good luck to you!