Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was researching vitamin patches and what I thought was true. Vitamin Patches can not be absorbed by the skin. This is what I found.

When we heard about ‘multivitamin patches’ that were being marketed to bariatric patients, we were skeptical because we remember the ‘spray vitamins’ similarly targeting us a few years back that turned out to be bogus – the FDA and Attorney General of several states thought so too.

We consulted with experts regarding ‘patch multivitamins’, all of whom emphatically said that none of the claims made by the patch company were true. Not a single word. They even underscored that what these companies are proposing is biochemically impossible, as the skin is a very good seal against water soluble organics, which is why you can’t get drunk on alcohol through your skin.

It’s also a good barrier against ion transfer, or else a few hours in the ocean would dehydrate and kill you. Think of all the things you come in contact with during your day – if these materials passed through the skin, it could in many instances mean death.

Most Vitamins and minerals fall into these two categories and anybody claiming nutrient absorption through a known protective barrier had better produce studies to back it up – burden of proof is upon the patch companies, as their claims go against widely accepted and well known medical facts.

One pharmacological expert went further to say that the people responsible for the bariatric vitamin patches ‘are either willfully fraudulent or just plain stupid, but either way are a second away from an FDA Warning Letter or FTC action’. Use your judgement and please be careful of this kind of stuff. You cannot fit the entire world of nutrition in a single pill. It does not make sense that you could tape a packet of pulverized vitamins to your arm and have all that material magically move through your skin and into your body. You cannot absorb the amount of minerals needed after bariatric surgery through a ‘sticker’.

People who have had bariatric surgery are often looking for something easy and defend this product because they want to believe. People cite nicotine, birth control and other medications used as prescribed treatments via patch dose – the difference is that the highly specialized transdermal medication patches available via prescription, are for tiny amount of drugs, not several teaspoons of organic minerals. There is no comparison.

If you’d like to be compliant, there is no easy way out, you must swallow capsules or chew tablets. There is no magic pill and certainly no magic spray or sticker.

I was taking an equate Multivitamin and my Dad saw it and said, you know there might not be any Vitamins in that. I was like what! He then advised that the FDA does not regulate vitamins, and that he gets his from costco because they lab test their supplements. I don't have a Costco near me, so I just looked at what brands they sell and switched to Centrum. They sell gummies as well, do you know why your dietitian doesn't approve of gummies?

Oh no....I just ordered the Calcium Patches because I’m already sick of taking so many calcium pills. :blink:

What is the source you are copying this article from?

They are usually sweetened, stick to your dentures,i wonder if they might block your stoma? That is if you're a bypasser.

I did find this on the Unjury website which I never thought of. Weight of patch vs. weight of supposed Vitamins and minerals in patch. Interesting to read.

https://www.unjury.com/blog/serious-questions-patchmd-vitamin-supplement-claims/

2 hours ago, okayestmom said:

I was taking an equate Multivitamin and my Dad saw it and said, you know there might not be any Vitamins in that. I was like what! He then advised that the FDA does not regulate Vitamins, and that he gets his from costco because they lab test their supplements. I don't have a costco near me, so I just looked at what brands they sell and switched to Centrum. They sell gummies as well, do you know why your dietitian doesn't approve of gummies?

It's true the FDA does not regulate supplements. But plenty of independent labs can and do test supplements for label accuracy. The bottom line is Wal-Mart is not going to risk a lawsuit and their reputation by putting out supplements that don't contain what they claim they do.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/05/health/05patient.html

"In a recent test of Multivitamins, ConsumerLab.com found that Equate-Mature Multivitamin 50+ sold by Wal-Mart was just as good as the name brand Centrum Silver, but at less than a nickel a day is half the price."

As for gummies, my program doesn't recommend gummies because they are just not complete enough. If you look at the vitamins and minerals in widely approved multivitamins, like the Celebrate or Trader Joes, and compare them to gummies,. You'll see the list of vitamins and minerals is much shorter on gummies than non-gummies

Edited by sillykitty

Thanks for the info and the sources! I do believe I will be saving a few bucks!

3 hours ago, KimTriesRNY said:

Oh no....I just ordered the Calcium Patches because I’m already sick of taking so many Calcium pills. :blink:

What is the source you are copying this article from?

https://www.bariatriceating.com/2016/06/faq-vitamin-patches-bad/

My program says no to Patches bc they do not work and no to gummies bc they are incomplete and full of sugar.

I fell in to the Patches and after about a week I felt awful. This was in the early stages of my post op too. So, I quit them and went back to the nasty bariatric Vitamins and felt instantly better! Sooo....I’m not sure if all the hype of how they work is really because some folks are actually getting their dietary needs through food or they’re still living off the “stores” they had, or they’re just thinking they’re bodies are doing better (all in the head). Some say their blood work is proof but I haven’t seen a copy of anyone’s blood work to show it. Could also be a bogus testimony on here to get folks to buy them. Whatever the issue, they do not work for me. Finally almost year out and only need two Flintstone chewables, one b-12, one b complex, and my Calcium. I can live with this.

so then why the hell do they sell the Patches if they do not work? Placebo much...

Honest Answer: there's a sucker born every minute, they sell them in the hope it might be YOU!😛