Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Serious Overeating & Binging Problems Post Op

When you stop eating sweets, it takes 7-10 days for the cravings to die off. During that time, you really just have to tough it out :-(

Avoid all of the sugars and refined carbs. My doctor told me to eat Protein first until I reach 60-80 grams. Then move on to veggies. Carbs are last on the list. If you get your protein in you will barely be able to fit anything else in. Instead of having all the carbs, do your protein, delicious examples are below:

Steak

Turkey Bacon

Ham (high sodium however, moderate)

----mmm I love honey ham

Brat (high sodium however, moderate)

----heck cheesy brats are even good

Hot Dog (high sodium however, moderate)

Ground Beef

-----why not cook some ground beef, put a (little) bit of homemade spaghetti sauce using fresh and healthy produce, and skim milk cheese (voila a pasta-less spaghetti)

Turkey Sausage

Turkey in general

Rotisserie chicken

Fish

Shrimp

Crab

Lobster

eggs

Protein Shakes

Greek Yogurt

String Cheese

Almond Milk

And so many more!!!!!

Maybe its because I'm borderline anemic but I LOVEEE meat!!!!!

Spoil yourself but in a good way!! Experiment like the deconstructed spaghetti idea.

Make yourself a cauliflower crust pizza with loads of veggies and protein. Finding healthy recipes and learning some cooking skills can double as a healthy diet AND eliminating some of the boredom. Plus on your free time you can look up healthy recipes on Pinterest, more boredom gone out the window!!!! :D

Edited by mitchjoann132010

On 4/8/2018 at 11:03 PM, sleeveduk96 said:

I am writing this with such a heavy heart and I just ask people to please be kind in the replies. I really want to turn this around and I hope like hell it is not too late.

I have been struggling so much with binging. I am just eating whatever I want, not following any kind of healthy eating and I think I must be consuming pretty much the same calories as I consumed before surgery. I am only seven weeks post op. Here is an example of what I would eat in a day.

I am unemployed and I stay up all night and only wake up at about 1pm.

1pm: White bread sandwich with cheese and butter. (I drink Water at the same time)

3pm: Leftover lasagne - 4/5 tablespoons

4pm: Half a bag of beef Jerky

5pm: Glass of orange juice

7pm: Nandos takeaway, only a couple bites of chicken, half a box of spicy rice, 6/7 chips with mayo, 3/4 olives

8pm: More spicy rice

10pm: cheese toastie

11pm: Rest of the spicy rice and a few chips and a chug of milk straight from the bottle

1am: Rest of the bag of beef Jerky

2am: chocolate ice cream in a cone

I am honestly so disgusted with myself but I had to put this out here. My dad doesn't help because he will go make me a cheese toastie if I ask for it or go buy me chocolate when I want it. I have no idea how to stop eating so much. I am so depressed and I have nothing to do with my life but no one seems to understand. This was probably the wrong time in my life to get surgery since I don't have the discipline to use it correctly but I really thought it would help me turn my life around and save me. I have still been having weight loss of 3-5 lbs a week but last week it was only 1/2 lb and this week I am sure it will be a gain.

Is there any self-help book or some kind of advice to help me turn this around before it's too late? My parents paid so much for this surgery and I am ruining it, it feels like there's nothing I can do.

Please, anyone, can you help me.

I wish I could say the right thing to help, because then that would mean that I have an answer myself. I really feel for you. I had my surgery the day before you and about 2 weeks ago I fell completely off the wagon. I have been having a seriously hard time with motivation and my depression and doing the right thing. For me even though I am definitely still struggling, some things that help me are 1) trying to be mindful, when I am eating, getting up to eat, or just idly looking in the fridge for the millionth time I really have to make myself focus on what I am actually doing. I ask myself 3 questions, am I ACTUALLY hungry, do I really want this (like could I sub something else), and if I eat this how will I feel after. 2) Journaling, I have a journal app on my phone. When I have decided I am not physically hungry and stop myself eating sometimes I will just start writing (typing) not necessarily about food and sometimes that will make me feel better 3) I don't have anything that is off limits or say I can't have something, because as soon as I say something is bad I can't have something I crave it fierce. I'll stay away from it for a while then binge on it eventually. 4) Myfitnesspal it helps to actually log everything I eat, sometimes it backfires and I feel like garbage emotionally after seeing how much I ate, but even then when I binge my calories are still less than normal so seeing that helps. 5) Don't be so hard on yourself, talk to yourself like you would talk to a friend. I can't imagine you would call a friend disgusting after she lost 40lbs in like 2 months. Or if your friend was trying to over come an addiction or emotional problems you wouldn't expect her to do everything perfectly or not have setbacks. 6) Try to find a hobby I am trying to learn crochet 7) you need to sleep at night at a reasonable time. I'm a night person also, but being awake at night leads to overeating and excess carb consumption. 8) set yourself up for success, have Snacks that you like like that aren't terrible bad for you, it doesn't have to be raw carrots if you don't like them, like I really like popcorn and not carrots

You're only a few weeks out every day or every moment you have another chance to get back on the wagon, don't expect perfection. And be nice to yourself, it's a process not an overnight miracle cure.

my heart goes out to all of you... low-fat cheese sticks have been a godsend for me, Protein and Water, Fiber too

(e hug to op) If we could sit and have tea or coffee I so would, take things one day at a time, hell for me it's been some days one hour at a time...I'm month 6 and have lost about 53 pounds if you need encouragement or to talk pm me please I'd love to listen...for me the hardest thing has been depression post-op, the malabsoring of my antidepressant and tweaking of it was hell I wish on no one...I didn't know how much food was a part of my coping until after the fact...I am glad that I waited two years beforehand to truly decide and you are stronger then you know...I hope these words have been of some help because my heart is behind them...

I love the positivity of this forum. Many people would look at this situation and be upset/angry but we are all struggling. We are here as a BariPal family and we are all here for you. You are not alone. Just because all of our struggles are different does not mean that we all do not have them. Do not hold yourself to the standard of thinking that you are somehow failing, you are human!

Please know that each and every day is different. Just because yesterday wasn't good does not mean that you can't make a change today. It starts with little things. You do not need to go out and shop for a whole new set of groceries. Why not make yourself a mini hamburger wrapped in lettuce minus all the dressings. Tweak it. Who knows you might be inspired to post your own new recipes, all of us are looking for something healthy and delicious.

Your first step has been made, you reached out for help. This is not just a physical change but an emotional one as well. Every time I see a commercial of food or see someone eating, I take a walk out of that vicinity and drink Water. Granted I'm day 9 of my clear liquid pre op diet and feel I could chew my arm off but it works for me. Ask your loved ones to please not eat around you or to warn you first so that you can remove yourself from that area.

My husband is skinny so never has to worry about his weight but he will text me before he heads home that he has to make a "stop" for something, aka food, without rubbing it in my face, and then he will eat it before he comes home. My close knit loved ones do as well and if they see someone starting to tempt me they mention it to that person or go for a walk with me. You might just be able to help your family make a change as well. Instead of bonding over food, learn to talk and enjoy each other's company or go for a walk together.

Reach out if you have any questions, we are ALL here for you!!!!

2 minutes ago, mitchjoann132010 said:

I love the positivity of this forum. Many people would look at this situation and be upset/angry but we are all struggling. We are here as a BariPal family and we are all here for you. You are not alone. Just because all of our struggles are different does not mean that we all do not have them. Do not hold yourself to the standard of thinking that you are somehow failing, you are human!

Please know that each and every day is different. Just because yesterday wasn't good does not mean that you can't make a change today. It starts with little things. You do not need to go out and shop for a whole new set of groceries. Why not make yourself a mini hamburger wrapped in lettuce minus all the dressings. Tweak it. Who knows you might be inspired to post your own new recipes, all of us are looking for something healthy and delicious.

Your first step has been made, you reached out for help. This is not just a physical change but an emotional one as well. Every time I see a commercial of food or see someone eating, I take a walk out of that vicinity and drink Water. Granted I'm day 9 of my clear liquid pre op diet and feel I could chew my arm off but it works for me. Ask your loved ones to please not eat around you or to warn you first so that you can remove yourself from that area.

My husband is skinny so never has to worry about his weight but he will text me before he heads home that he has to make a "stop" for something, aka food, without rubbing it in my face, and then he will eat it before he comes home. My close knit loved ones do as well and if they see someone starting to tempt me they mention it to that person or go for a walk with me. You might just be able to help your family make a change as well. Instead of bonding over food, learn to talk and enjoy each other's company or go for a walk together.

Reach out if you have any questions, we are ALL here for you!!!!

Thank you so much for the time you took to encourage all of us here! 🙏🏻 Words of wisdom!!!

Being unemployed is rough. I'm not sure if you got laid off or if you're unable to work. But if you can work, we need to find you a job stat! I suffer from depression and I know it sounds so lame, but having to get up and be somewhere everyday is SO important for mental health. It gives you some purpose, it keeps you mentally busy, it keeps you physically moving, it brings in some money, and it will help keep your mind off food! I was unemployed years ago for several months and I squandered time, money, food, and my brain. Days began to blend together. I GAINED weight and was even more depressed. I couldn't find a job and it was horrible, but I eventually found one. I'm not sure if your father is capable of supporting you in this, but help him understand your surgery and your new diet if you haven't already. He can learn to say "no" to your cheese toasties. LOL. If you are unable to work, I would think about different ideas to get you out of the house, stimulate your brain, move blood through your legs, and to keep your mind off food. If you are currently looking for a job I am sending out positive vibes to the universe that you get hired soon!!!

On 4/9/2018 at 3:55 PM, Blondietex said:

I’m trying to make therapy a centerpiece of my process (I’m most likely having surgery in May).

This is beautiful! I love it. Learning more about yourself is always a GREAT thing and it will TOTALLY help you on the journey! I'm right there with you too!