Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking about SIPS but scared out of my mind

I am thinking about getting SIPS but I've been doing research and have come across a few youtube videos on what people deal with post op. The surgery itself doesn't scare me its the aftermath. What is the Vitamin intake like post op? What were the biggest changes for you?

Edited by ButtRflyKiSSes

Hi,

I had sips in 2015. Like you, I thought the very same way. I can tell you my experience has been all positive. After surgery, I experienced no pain. Stuck to my liquids, soft foods and gradually eating normal foods again. You will get full fast. No fried foods, as now your digestive is completely re-routed so you will experience smelly, oily stools. Not fun, but remember you will only absorb % of your intake. Vitamins regime is multi, Iron, D3, I also still continue with a Premier Protein shake at least 1x a day.

309 highest weight now 148. Size was 28 now 10. Living and loving my new found self again.

I had SIPS 12/17 and I’m very pleased. If you stay on track, you feel great. Carbs makes me bloated and gassy. You figure out what you can and can’t eat. Just went on vacation and ate off my hubbys and kids plates most of the time. Had a mai tai as well...
I take 2 chewable Multi Vitamins and one Calcium. I usually have a Premier Protein shake for B or L plus a yogurt. I’m having a hard time with raw veggies now so I stick to cooked. For dinner I have what the family is eating but focus on Protein first. Biggest change is my eyes are sometimes bigger than my stomach and I’ve over eaten and just don’t feel well afterwards. Other times I’ve eaten a cheeseburger...
Hope this helps

SIPS procedure 12/11/17
SW 307
CW 214 GW 160

Thank you for the replies, this helps alot. Some of the youtube video's really freaked me. Some of the videos I watched where people were having to take what looked like...handfuls of Vitamins daily. Believe it or not that scared me more than having to deal with loose stools. I know this is an odd question but have either of you had any problems with Seafood..like clams?

I think each dr has their own Vitamin plan. I was on an additional Calcium at first then they dropped it to one a day. Check with them. As for seafood, haven’t tried clams as I’m not a fan. I’ve had. I problem with tilapia salmon grouper tuna or shrimp

SIPS procedure 12/11/17
SW 307
CW 214 GW 160

I dint eat clams, but I have eaten shrimp, tilapia, flounder, sole. No issues and very digestible for me. I have had issues with hamberger, steak. Just seems very bulky and I have to cut it into tiny tiny pieces.

4 years out from SIPS, lost 100% of excess weight, it's still off and I can eat anything I want. My only issue is gas if I eat too many of the wrong carbs. Vitamins are minimal and help prevent me from getting basic illnesses such as colds in the winter. I pretty much never get sick and the small amount of daily vitamins I think helps make that happen.

On 4/21/2018 at 10:54 PM, Jmuldune said:

4 years out from SIPS, lost 100% of excess weight, it's still off and I can eat anything I want. My only issue is gas if I eat too many of the wrong carbs. Vitamins are minimal and help prevent me from getting basic illnesses such as colds in the winter. I pretty much never get sick and the small amount of daily Vitamins I think helps make that happen.

I had my DS 11 months ago, and this is my exact same experience. I'm completely fine with most foods, but too many carbs makes me bloated and gassy. Ever have one of those carb gas episodes on a plane? So uncomfortable and what do you do? You have to suffer (especially if there is turbulence and the seat belt light is on) or make everyone else suffer.

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. This has really eased my mind a great deal.

I'm having SIPS on June 1st. Watching the stats for weight lost and recovery made it a no brainier for me. My Dr had me try the Vitamins he wanted me on post surgery. They are delicious and I only need two a day.

9 hours ago, HisRed said:

I'm having SIPS on June 1st. Watching the stats for weight lost and recovery made it a no brainier for me. My Dr had me try the Vitamins he wanted me on post surgery. They are delicious and I only need two a day.

The stats on the long-term weight loss helped me make my decision, too. I go in for my blood work tomorrow for my first year check-up, and I'm looking forward to seeing how well my Vitamin routine has worked for me. I also take only take two multi-vitamins a day, two vitamin B12s and two calcium chews a day.