Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can keep soft food down but NO liquid.. HELP!

Hi Everyone, this is a little bit of a weird situation. My best friend and I both had the DS. Hers on 2/1/18 and mine on 2/2/18 both by the same surgeon.

As of today she has lost 39lbs post op (76lbs total) and I have lost 32lbs post op (58lbs total).

At first she was excelling much better then I in recovery. I was nauseous all the time if I stood for too long and she was feeling good, cooking for the family a week and a half out! She was a champ! Unfortunately about 3 weeks out things flipped :( Now at about 6wks out Im all good, eating solids and feeling great, for her she is opposite.

About 3wks ago she started waking up in the morning throwing up frothy saliva, rarely she would throw up the same froth during the day, then she would throw up the froth at night. At that time there was no pattern or relation to food or drink so we tossed it up to having "The Foamies" but it worsened to where she was throwing up constantly even after food or drink. Then she began to have a slight pain in the right side under ribs, naturally thinking it was the gallbladder we went to the hospital on 3/5/18. Our surgeon is in Jacksonville and we live in Tampa, none of the doctors we saw in the hospital know what the DS was. Our surgeon said he would prefer if we could go to him (as we did too) because if a our new anatomy is unknown another surgeon could do damage but she could not make the drive. So we found a surgeon here that felt confident in removing the gallbladder so she had the surgery on 3/8/18. The GI said the gallbladder was not inflamed but had stones, but what she did have is acute pancreatitis probably caused by a stray stone that ended up passing on its own but left aggravation in its path.

Now I know what you are thinking, "Why wasn't the gallbladder removed during the DS surgery?" well thats because we both had a hiatal hernia repair and the DS at the same time and already being under for 7hrs that was not a safe idea so we had planed with our surgeon that 6 months post op we were to have it removed.

Pumped with fluids, but still not able to keep anything down she was discharged 3/11/17. Feeling a little better but not much. On Monday 3/12/17 she was back in her rut. We called our surgeon in Jacksonville and he insisted we get to him so we packed and left the next morning at 5am and headed his way. Tuesday is one of his surgery days but luckily his office is right across the street and he came to do and upper GI himself in between his surgeries. he say that her anatomy healed well but wanted to do further testing so he did a direct admit to the hospital that day (3/13/18). He put her on heavy flow of fluids and a few other things she was low on and did and endo, mri, and a few other test to rule out a few serious possibilities. Blood work was ran every morning to see that her lipase was trending down showing the pancreatitis was calming down but her liver enzymes were still hanging out in the same high realm.

He held her in the hospital for a few days and when she proved she can hold a few things down he discharged her on 3/18/18 and told her to take it very slow, that her body is just having a reaction to the surgeries she has had and her liver (being fatty prior) is taking a hit but things should get better. And they technically are. She can keep down baby food and other very soft foods, BUT as soon as she drinks something it comes back up within 5 minutes.

My first thought is that she's been throwing up constantly for 3wks so her esophageal sphincter is very weak but is able to hold down something with at least a little substance to it aka the baby food, but has no luck with fluids.

Has anyone else experienced this?

What can be done to help?

What can cause this?

HELP PLEASE!!!

Edited by cydni42

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches