Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey all - I've had 6 nosebleeds in 10 days after never having one in 53 years of life. I live in Colorado and it's been very dry, but it's not like I just moved here. I asked my surgeon if I should come in for a blood test for Vitamin deficiency. He says as long as I'm taking my Vitamins (i am) it's likely just the dry weather or soemthing else. Has anyone else experienced nosebleeds? I've had two at work - luckily alone in my office - which are most upsetting. It looks like my multi doesn't really give that much vitamin K and of course, on my tiny diet I'm only getting so much. I might look for a supplement tomorrow....

That is so peculiar! Any chance of renovations in the office or at home? Or any chemicals in the air somewhere? I'm curious to see if anyone's experienced this too!

That is so peculiar! Any chance of renovations in the office or at home? Or any chemicals in the air somewhere? I'm curious to see if anyone's experienced this too!

No renovations anywhere. Could be the dry weather but a nurse friend wondered avout vitamins

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

High blood pressure can cause them (have you been taken off or had blood pressure meds reduced?)

Dehydration can contribute to your nasal membranes being more easy to rupture

Blood thinners and even hormonal changes...can cause nosebleeds.

Some ideas...

Run a humidifier.

Drink more Water.

Monitor your blood pressure 3 times a day...report it to your doctor if it's high for you.

Keep track of every bleed. Time of day and duration. Give this info to your doctor.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/396797-vitamin-k-nosebleeds/

Check out the different Vitamin deficiencies associated with nosebleeds in this article.

Vitamin K Deficiency

Vitamin K is required as a cofactor for an enzyme that catalyzes glutamic acid into gamma-carboxyglutamic acid, which is necessary for coagulation to occur. Coagulation is the process of stopping the flow of blood by clot formation, which is critical to heal damaged blood vessels. Vitamin K deficiency leads to uncontrollable bleeding once a blood vessel is ruptured. Trauma to the nose easily damages its small arteries and, without adequate levels of vitamin K, the nose loses more blood than it normally would. Other signs of vitamin K deficiency include easily bruised skin and muscles, bleeding gums and blood in the urine and stool.

Vitamin C Deficiency

Vitamin C is necessary for the development of normal collagen, which is the main component in connective tissue. Collagen resides within skin and blood vessels. A deficiency of vitamin C weakens blood vessels, which can lead to a condition called fragile capillaries. The fragile vessels and capillaries of the nose are especially reliant on healthy collagen to prevent rupture and leakage. Severe vitamin C deficiency, known as scurvy, commonly leads to easily provoked bleeding from the nose and gums, as well as bruising of the skin and muscles. Severe vitamin C deficiency is extremely rare in Western countries, although marginal deficiencies do occur in people who do not eat fresh fruit and vegetables.

Vitamin B-9 and B-12 Deficiencies

Deficiencies of Vitamins B-9 and B-12 could lead to increase risks of nosebleeds because they lead to elevated levels of homocysteine in the blood, which damages the walls of blood vessels and makes them more susceptible to aneurysms and ruptures.

Vitamin A Deficiency

Vitamin A is needed to keep the mucosal membranes of the nose, sinuses, mouth, eyes and digestive tract moist and healthy. A deficiency can lead to dryness and inflammation in the nasal cavity, leaving it more susceptible to injury and bleeding. Dry mucus membranes also increase the risk of infection, which can also cause bleeding from the nose.

Edited by Creekimp13

Hmmm. That is a curious symptom. I did have like 3 nosebleeds after surgery but it was due to the hot weather.