Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Water? Nope. Applesauce? Nope. Jell-o? Nope. Help!!

1 minute ago, kaynga said:

Sorry for the confusion; in my mind, "applesauce" and "jell-o" are still "foods", even though I know they're full/clear liquids. I'm definitely not trying to eat anything solid or semi-solid.

Oh thank heavens! I was worried about you for a second. OK! Well in that case, in my program they suggest that you introduce new foods only one at a time to see what upsets your stomach, and what sits well. Are you trying these in the same meal time, or even same day? I would start over and do only one new item per day. Also, make sure you are doing unsweetened applesauce. Even if it is 100% natural, the sugar may be what is causing you nausea. I know that my program allowed 100% juice in my full liquid stage, and it was way too sweet for me. I didn't dump or anything extreme, but the nausea was unbearable. Also, have you asked your doctor for a nausea medication. I still take some now and again at 8 weeks post op.

1 minute ago, Yadifan said:

I was on Clear Liquids for 2 weeks. Now I’m on purée for 2 weeks. Then soft foods for 2 months! This is the plan for all of the surgeons in my area! Go slow! It takes time to heal. Good luck.

Thanks for sharing this time period, @Yadifan. I am glad you did because I just reviewed the discharge paperwork and I am only on puree for 2 weeks as well. Then on soft foods for 3 weeks. That seems like an awfully short time although the paperwork did say I could be on soft foods longer depending on tolerance.

1 minute ago, AshAsh1 said:

Oh thank heavens! I was worried about you for a second. OK! Well in that case, in my program they suggest that you introduce new foods only one at a time to see what upsets your stomach, and what sits well. Are you trying these in the same meal time, or even same day? I would start over and do only one new item per day. Also, make sure you are doing unsweetened applesauce. Even if it is 100% natural, the sugar may be what is causing you nausea. I know that my program allowed 100% juice in my full liquid stage, and it was way too sweet for me. I didn't dump or anything extreme, but the nausea was unbearable. Also, have you asked your doctor for a nausea medication. I still take some now and again at 8 weeks post op.

So far day 1 was all Jell-o and day 2 was all (unsweetened) applesauce, and both had the same reaction - four bites or so and I was too nauseated to continue. That said, I'm able to drink much more Water today than I have been able to since surgery, so I'm hoping I can keep down an oz or two. I do have ondanesetron for nausea, but I can only take it once every 8 hours and it seems to wear off after 4. The nurses couldn't offer a solution to that other than to just bear with it.

LOL! I don't know how anyone can take Jello. To me, unless it is infused with vodka, jello is nasty.

Just now, kaynga said:

So far day 1 was all Jell-o and day 2 was all (unsweetened) applesauce, and both had the same reaction - four bites or so and I was too nauseated to continue. That said, I'm able to drink much more Water today than I have been able to since surgery, so I'm hoping I can keep down an oz or two. I do have ondanesetron for nausea, but I can only take it once every 8 hours and it seems to wear off after 4. The nurses couldn't offer a solution to that other than to just bear with it.

Another suggestion is a lot of people after WLS have nausea with sweet items. How do you do with savory? I drank a lot of Bone Broth in my first two weeks. There is a brand you buy at Walmart and it has great Protein values. I would sip on this all day long.

1 minute ago, Mattymatt said:

LOL! I don't know how anyone can take Jello. To me, unless it is infused with vodka, Jello is nasty.

I agree 100%. I hate jello. the only time I did jello was when I made these jello infused Protein cups. It was 12 grams of protein per 2 oz. I just took it like a champ, but hated every bite!

1 hour ago, AshAsh1 said:

Another suggestion is a lot of people after WLS have nausea with sweet items. How do you do with savory? I drank a lot of bone broth in my first two weeks. There is a brand you buy at Walmart and it has great Protein values. I would sip on this all day long.

I haven't tried broth yet because I generally really dislike plain broth, and the broth we have at home doesn't have the kind of Protein I'd like. Do you remember the brand name of the broth you got from walmart? Because i'll absolutely try that.

1 minute ago, kaynga said:

I haven't tried broth yet because I generally really dislike plain broth, and the broth we have at home doesn't have the kind of Protein I'd like. Do you remember the brand name of the broth you got from Walmart? Because i'll absolutely try that.

broth1.png.8ae80e447fd7f6290f7cb1e556f7fa84.pngbroth2.png.fee59f6d195960fd1c44eba017cde8ae.png

2 minutes ago, kaynga said:

I haven't tried broth yet because I generally really dislike plain broth, and the broth we have at home doesn't have the kind of Protein I'd like. Do you remember the brand name of the broth you got from Walmart? Because i'll absolutely try that.

And it is way better than plain broth. It is thicker in consistency and is delicious! I stocked up pre op and now I make Soup with it. You can't beat the Protein values.

That looks amazing; thank you so much. I'll be getting some as soon as possible!

20 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

broth1.png.8ae80e447fd7f6290f7cb1e556f7fa84.png broth2.png.fee59f6d195960fd1c44eba017cde8ae.png

Please don't count this as Protein. Count only as Fluid. Why? Cuz most (99%) of all "bone broth" is made from hydrolyzed collagen and Proteins that are not complete sources of protein. Although we all need collagen and jello-type proteins in order to assimilate lean muscle proteins, if you count on that for your protein totals each day, you will be loading up on only 1-2 kinds of amino acids.

Sorry for geeking out on y'all!

3 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Please don't count this as Protein. Count only as Fluid. Why? Cuz most (99%) of all "bone broth" is made from hydrolyzed collagen and Proteins that are not complete sources of Protein. Although we all need collagen and jello-type Proteins in order to assimilate lean muscle proteins, if you count on that for your protein totals each day, you will be loading up on only 1-2 kinds of amino acids.

Sorry for geeking out on y'all!

Yeah I wouldn't use it for my sole source of protein, but Bone Broth is highly recommended as one source of protein during the liquid stages. I did Protein Shakes of course too. Not a lot of options that early on.

3 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

Yeah I wouldn't use it for my sole source of Protein, but bone broth is highly recommended as one source of protein during the liquid stages. I did Protein Shakes of course too. Not a lot of options that early on.

Bone Broth (especially homemade) is an awesome source of nourishing liquid. There is some debate in studies about how many minerals and such it actually gives. But when you leach nutrition from the bones, you don't get all 9 essential amino acids that make it a complete protein. Sad but true.

The only awesome sources my RD recommends are whey protein isolates and soy protein isolates. But of course, there are some others out there. She likes egg white protein too. But she is not a fan of bone broth for protein. It's incomplete.

Just giving out information, not trying to put a super pretty asshat on or bring anyone to the dark side. So take it or leave it. Makes no diff here. :)

Edited by FluffyChix

Thanks for the advice Fluffychix! It's probably better to get incomplete Protein than not much at all, (which is the case for me right now except for my protein shakes) so I'll still give it a go along with other things day by day to see what I can tolerate more.

I think I've been a bit too tunnel vision about this stage. Even if I can't hit all my goals (except for hydration; I'm keeping that up no matter what), it's only for two weeks, and it's not like my health is going to deteriorate completely if I can't take in more than an oz of full liquid per meal. I'll just stick to doing my best to stay hydrated and take my Vitamins and I'll definitely be able to make up for it when I move on to the next stage. The nausea is already much better today compared to the last two days, so things are looking up. :)

7 minutes ago, kaynga said:

Thanks for the advice Fluffychix! It's probably better to get incomplete Protein than not much at all, (which is the case for me right now except for my Protein shakes) so I'll still give it a go along with other things day by day to see what I can tolerate more.

I think I've been a bit too tunnel vision about this stage. Even if I can't hit all my goals (except for hydration; I'm keeping that up no matter what), it's only for two weeks, and it's not like my health is going to deteriorate completely if I can't take in more than an oz of full liquid per meal. I'll just stick to doing my best to stay hydrated and take my Vitamins and I'll definitely be able to make up for it when I move on to the next stage. The nausea is already much better today compared to the last two days, so things are looking up. :)

You are very right! The most important thing is to focus on your liquid intake. It will take you weeks to actually meet your protein goals. Right now, drink what you can keep down and as much of it as possible. One other thing I did, I drank Pedialyte when I was dehydrated. Make sure you are having your "meals" pretty regular. I did every 2-3 hours when I was only getting in 2-3oz at a time.