Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair questions - bleaching and dyeing

Has anyone had any major processing done to their hair during the “help my hair is falling out” phase? Is it a bad idea?

I’m scheduled for a balayage and fantasy coloring this month but am worried since I am in that “help my hair is falling out” stage. I already feel like it’s so thin but I just need to get my hairs did!

What’s your experience!?!?

Thanks

I had a perm in August, surgery Oct 24, highlights January 26th, (and getting a perm in two weeks) - I haven't seen any ill effects from the processes so far. Although it is a little drier this past week, I have been taking super hot showers lately (I'm freezing cold all the time) and we have very hard Water despite a having a water softener. My highlights were only a shade or two lighter - some caramel amd some auburn (I am 63 but only have a dozen grey hairs - lucky me!!). I am still getting a perm since it is so thin that will help disguise the peek through.

Edited by Sosewsue61

I had a perm in August, surgery Oct 24, highlights January 26th, (and getting a perm in two weeks) - I haven't seen any ill effects from the processes so far. Although it is a little drier this past week, I have been taking super hot showers lately (I'm freezing cold all the time) and we have very hard Water despite a having a Water softener. My highlights were only a shade or two lighter - some caramel amd some auburn (I am 63 but only have a dozen grey hairs - lucky me!!). I am still getting a perm since it is so thin that will help disguise the peek through.

Thank you for the reply. [emoji4] much appreciated. I’m planning on a balayage ombré with some fantasy colors. I’m just worried since I’m currently in that Hair loss stage. [emoji43]

I held off on any color while my hair was falling out...I was just so nervous that it would make it worse. My hairdresser kept saying that it wouldn't impact the Hair loss at all but I was still worried. Now that the hair loss has settled down I'm going to go in and get my normal highlights done because my color (or lack of!) is driving me nuts.

I held off on any color while my hair was falling out...I was just so nervous that it would make it worse. My hairdresser kept saying that it wouldn't impact the Hair loss at all but I was still worried. Now that the hair loss has settled down I'm going to go in and get my normal highlights done because my color (or lack of!) is driving me nuts.

I hear you! The only reason I’m going now is because of an upcoming vacation. I can’t go on vacation without freshening up my color. I’ve already let it grow out so badly that I need a full balayage vs a partial. I appreciate your response, thank you! [emoji4]

I am not a natural icy blonde and have been getting root touch ups per my regular schedule (every 4-6 weeks). I have noticed my scalp has been a little bit more sensitive, but I don’t think I’m losing any more hair because of the processing than I was already losing because of wls.

I haven't lost any hair yet, but I have been and will continue to color my hair (I have significant grey). I stay away from any bleach though, it makes my hair brittle and frizzy pre weightloss, and I'm sure it would be worse if I was already losing hair.

Thanks guys, I did get my balayage done and then pinks, purples and blues added. All went well and it doesn’t seem to have made the loss any worse. Whew!

Thanks for the update! Have fun on your vacation! Does it make you feel fun and happy like Rainbow Brite? :D

Thanks for the update! Have fun on your vacation! Does it make you feel fun and happy like Rainbow Brite? [emoji3]

Thanks, 2.5 more working days.

It’s not that bright. I have naturally dark hair so it’s bold but not bright. What’s cool is in different lighting the colors are different.