Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My god......what have I done?

First time poster, long time lurker. I was recently sleeved (2/22) and by all accounts my procedure went well. I would argue that I could not had been more prepared for my surgery. I had attended every seminar and group meeting avail. I had spent tens of hours researching the surgery and recovery process. I made major lifestyle changes to my diet and exercise regime (losing 10% of my bodyweight before the procedure. I have the complete support of my family and no issues regarding my time off from work. I was 100% ready. Everything was lined up for a success. Yet here I am, full of self doubt and regret. Like most I have very little, if any hunger. What I have a ton of though is bitterness. Mad about what feels like an overly cautious diet (5 weeks of post op liquids and purée) and resentment/depression knowing my body probably couldn’t handle anything else otherwise. Hate the mood swings. My preop success makes me continually question my decision (which I expected......but doesn’t make it any easier). I was so prepared and informed, I think that’s what makes it seem worse.
Warmer weather can’t get here soon enough.......yeeeeeeeeesh.

I had the same exact this and feelings! I did everything you did because I didn't want to feel regrets. Got home after surgery and was regretting it big time! Apparently this is completely normal! It does go away. It went away for me when I started seeing weight loss and started feeling better. My diabetes is gone! My clothes are smaller. I'm exercising. It's not all perfect, but so much better than before surgery. The post-op diet will go by. You will go through the food phases quickly. The first time you get scrambled eggs, you'll feel excited. Why? Because you've reached another level of progress and it's like a reward! Look at each new step as exactly that...a step toward progress and a reward to a new life! I promise you that the feeling of regret did pass for me and should for you too. I know it's hard, but hang in there!

Get up, don't dwell on the negatives, if you were a woman I'd tell you to go shopping, do you have any hobbies?.? Work in your workshop, go fishing, at least get up and take a walk, outdoors if possible, the fresh air will do you good. Doesn't have to be fast, just pace yourself. If al else fails walk around the apartment or house. Just stay out of the kitchen I don't want you trying slider foods out of boredom. Drink extra Fluid,it's good for you. If you piss more, you piss more. At least you're getting rid of the byproducts from your ketosis. And life will get better, you're a guy, you'll be able to see your attributes better, we girls get ours hidden by a panni unless we are young enough that our flesh smoothes out. You have the chance to once again be a stud muffin, to have girls whistle at you or at least give you a good once over glance. The blahs and pain will make way for Hey I Can Do This! Takes time, you didn't get fat in a day if you remember, but day by day --in every way-- you'll slowly and surely get better. And I for one will be waiting to hear about it.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

@FatGuy5000 I am also in Pennsylvania. Are you in the Philly area?

Omg! Thank you all for the support you have given! I thought it was only me feeling this way. I am 10 days post op and feeling like this. I'm praying for the days to go by faster every minute. Your words have given me the motivation to keep going!

Thanks again!

i feel you in every sense. you can be prepared all you want, but when it hits, its tougher to deal with. the regret part is kickin in right now, but i keep reminding me of the results i already maid, thinking about the benifits loosing all the weight is going to give me, less chances of healthrisks like heart troubles, diabetes etc, the amount of years you can live longer with your kids and partner etc. tune into the bigger picture and it will keep you a litte bit more positive.

hang in there, im trying too

Edited by kennyranking

The regret is so real in that first month or so! I am 8 months out and have no regrets, life before included sleep apnea, cpap, severe gerd, blood sugars on the rise, arthritis in my knees for which I was getting injections... and oh, just the poor self image that goes along with obesity. I could lose weight on my own, lose 60, gain 70 over the next year. I had done that so many times.

I felt remorse and regret that was very strong but now, life is so much better and every one of those medical issues have vanished. It is amazing! I feel better, healthier and I bet you will too. It gets easier and just becomes a new normal. Totally worth it, I feel like a new person, and I know that everyone around me sees that. It’s not just the 85# I have lost, it’s the burden of everything else that comes with the weight !
Take care

How are you doing now?

(PS food commercials on tv suck😖)

sip, sip, sip...😏

Buyer's remorse! I had it. Was so miserable and uncomfortable with gas pains and couldn't sleep on my tummy. And then slowly, it got better. BMI now 19, I weigh 118lbs, and leap about like a young thing. Six months after surgery I jumped off a stile during a walk and I couldn't have been happier if I'd flown over it!!! A small leap but oh heck I'd have broken things at 230lbs!!!

Keep going - one bite at a time 😀

[mention=335930]FatGuy5000[/mention] I am also in Pennsylvania. Are you in the Philly area?

I’m also in Pa near Scranton any one near by?

I felt the exact same way. I watched a ton of YouTube videos of people who had wls and they all mentioned feeling the regret in the first couple of weeks. And it’s not just a small feeling of regret that you can get over by watching a funny movie or taking a walk. I was giving myself extreme love and self care, forcing myself to take walks even when I felt too down, etc., and still spent two weeks in what I would consider one of the lowest depressions of my life. The fog is slowly lifting and it does get WAY better when you can start having more substantial food items and not just broth and Water. It WILL get better. I identify so strongly with what you describe. It’s a mourning process for many people. food has always been my best friend and my comfort, and with this surgery I have chosen to kill my best friend. It’s an actual time of grieving and don’t let anyone make light of that for you. Hugs.

That’s so true. Food is my best friend and I’m deciding to kill it. That’s why I’m so nervous. I have my surgery date now and I’m starting to get cold feet.

That’s so true. food is my best friend and I’m deciding to kill it. That’s why I’m so nervous. I have my surgery date now and I’m starting to get cold feet.

I totally get that. I had so many concern and it’s such a major surgery that I wondered if I should go through with it. I am only six weeks out, and I’m not going to lie - there were 2.5 weeks where I was seriously, seriously low in my mood and energy. But then I just naturally turned a corner in both areas and I am so much happier and have so much more energy and I go to the gym and do cardio and really love the way it feels. I was NEVER like that before! And this experience is true for the overwhelming majority of WLS patients I’ve talked to. You have to be realistic; this surgery is only a tool - it is absolutely NOT a cure for your eating problems. It is imperative to seek help either from a psychiatrist/therapist, etc, or from OA, or anywhere where you can address the psychological issue that accompanies being obese. But again, I’m only six weeks out and I know this is the best decision I’ve ever made for myself. Best of luck!

You are grieving ! It is a part of the process. Hang in there! Come here to vent! Better than turning to food which is what a lot of us would have done in the past.