Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self payers aftercare problems

I’ve been approved for the mini bypass surgery with a doctor in Mexico. I moved mid last year to a new city so I had to find all new doctors. I have spoken with my primary care doctor and my current metabolic doctor and neither will take on my aftercare. My pcp said she is not familiar and puts me off on the metabolic doctor. The metabolic doctor doesn’t want anything to do with the mini gastric bypass for many reason beyond my understanding. For one he doesnt recommend the mini. He just simply refused and referred me back to my pcp. So, I took it upon myself to try to find someone that my insurance will pay for and no doctor will take me on. Either they say no or they will not return my phone calls. I wanted the gastric bypass but the doctor suggests the mini. My old doctors will take me on but I can’t drive 400 miles both ways if there are problems that I need to see them for. I need a doctor closer. I don’t know what else to do. I don’t want to pay money and I will not have any care afterwards. My insurance covers bariatric but there is a year wait before approval will happen. So, I am choosing to pay out of pocket...I just don’t want to not have care. Any suggestions?

I think the MGB is the best operation out there, and i have been researching all WLS a long time. Major prolem or complication questions can be asked to the three American doctors that do the operations here in the states. After surgery, basically what you will need from your pcp will be blood tests to make sure your vitamin/blood levels are good. some docs just do not like the idea of Mexico, not matter what the surgery is. There are some Mexican doctors that will shoot a video of your operation and give it to you to take with you for your own doctor to view. Ask your Mexican surgeon for that. I don't think once you have an American doctor and have seen them, they can refuse you care. If you need pre MGB procedures, ask for a general physical and get it. Your PCP likely knows very little about all the WLS available and knows less about the skills of the surgeons in Mexico. Your American PCP will be astonished at your success. I am sure others here will have some good insight too.

Edited by utahgirll

A year is not all too long to wait. Most insurance plans will require a 3 or even 6 months monitored diet. There are good reasons for this. My plan required 6 months, and then I even put off the surgery 3 extra months .

Have you tried the ASMBS website? They have a physician finder where you can search for providers who will accept other surgeons patients. Use the find a provider option, then under surgery type choose 'willing to follow other surgeons patients'. Or find a new PCP (afterwards).

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

Also, some insurance covers complications. I paid out of pocket, and my insurance said they would treat a complications claim like any other claims. It didn't matter where I had surgery, or whether i paid cash or used insurance. They're all different, and yours might cover complications if needed.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app