Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op anxiety

My sleeve is scheduled for this thursday and I 100% percent am certain I want to do it but my anxiety is awful. I’ve never had surgery before and i just keeping running the worst case scenarios through my head. Can anyone tell me what helped them calm their nerves and re-assure them. I don’t want to go in with such a negative mindset.

Just go in knowing that while there is always a risk look at how many people have been successful. Damn near all of us get the jitters in that final week. For me I'd been under a couple times before so that didn't bother me. It's a "hope for the best / prepare for the worst" mentality that worked for me. Thing to remember is that when you wake up from surgery even if you feel like crap remember it is only temporary and it will get better. If it wasn't worth doing you'd have a lot more of us that have gone through it be telling you otherwise.

Use your fear and negative mindset to your advantage.

Instead of saying....what if I die of this surgery? (you won't)....say to yourself....Statistically, if I continue to be obese I am at greater risk for heart disease, stroke and cancer.

Be more afraid of the effects of remaining obese.

It's statistically much smarter to be afraid of heart disease, stroke and cancer....than a surgery with less morbidity than gallstone surgery.

Also...they tested the heck out of you. EKG, bloodwork, chest films, GI study.... Having a life threatening surprise under these circumstances is almost unheard of.

I, too, am starting to get really anxious. Like, holy sh*t I’m putting myself under the knife to remove part of an organ?? Oh good word, I will need all the strength I can get to follow through. I cannot let my anxiety get the best of me. And I know if I dont do this now, I’ll be sorry I didn’t 10 years from now. I would kick myself in the pants and regret my inaction. But when I think about actually getting the surgery, my hands get sweaty and my heart beats so fast. I also start itching my hands because I have stress induced eczema. Good grief I’m a mess!!

I am scheduled for the 1st March 2018. To be honest so far I have not thought to much about the surgery, I have been much more focused on what happens before and after. I am sure it will all hit me, but to me it is about setting goals and working towards them, The surgery is just another (big step) in a very long journey.

I remember the day of surgery I was just going through the motions, because I had a serious case of the jidders!! My blood pressure went pretty high after moving onto the operating table! The Anestesiologist just asked me very kindly, "Are you getting nervous?", to which I could only nod! Seconds later I was out, and apparently lifting up my gown so my husband could see my incisions! ( and everyone in the Post -op!) Lol! I vaguely remember that! Biggest concern was a blood clot, but they give you 1 shot before, and 1 after surgery. Also, the sooner you get up and moving the less likely it will happen...and it is rare. Another huge concern is dehydration, so follow the doctors orders TO THE LETTER! Don't worry about what advice you get on here...your doctor's advice is what you should be following. He's the only one whose been with you from day 1. He/she would never do this is you were in danger! Honestly, best feeling EVER? My blood pressure medicine was cut in HALF before I left the hospital!! Yay!! You have so many positive's, focus on that!! Feel free to freak out here all you want!

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

I was sleeved on Valentine’s Day and I had the exact same post almost! Haha. I was soooooo nervous. Never had surgery either. It all was fine and I am so happy I did the sleeve now. You will do great!

Thanks guys! I finished my surgery and am home now. Once i got there and they spoke to me one by one and assured i’d be okay my nerves subsided. I was ready to get up and walk in about an hour and a half and actually walked around pretty frequently. worse part was gas pain but the more i walked the faster it went away. Now i’m doing g good just focusing and drinking my fluids!