Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really struggling- 5 weeks out

Having a terrible time - food is making me nauseous and I’m so scared I’ve made the wrong decision.

I’m just all over the place and my relationship with food is nonexistent.

I’m still in pain on the left side under my ribs too.

Is this normal? My family keep telling me that I shouldn’t be feeling like this - and maybe they’re right.

would love someone to tell me that I’ll feel better soon and not hate my decision

Thanks

I concur with stabb009, bluegirl. Think,of food As a boyfriend who doesn't want to break up with you. food, especially fast food, is saying" You promised you'd be with me forever You promised" He's trying to play on your emotions so you will let him stay. Meanwhile you're sore and hurting from your surgery. Sure you did really want it,but it is a shock,to,the body and takes a while to get over. There may be days where you can barely get around but try to keep moving even if walking around the house. There has been enough witnesses on here that say each day gets better. A little why-me-itus is common.The pain on the left side, might be where they pulled your stomach out if you were a sleeve, even it you were a bypass you might be tender there. From now on you're going to have a grownup relationship with food, when you get back to soft and solid foods you'll be eating to live, just not very big portions, not living to eat just so it doesn't leave the room or get away from you. I'm a mommy, I used to be the family garbage can, not no more. Too often I ate things so I didn't have to refrigerate it. Finally saw the light and I didn't have to open the fridge to do it. Your family, bless their little misguided hearts, don't understand. They can't unless they have gone through it. You are normal and you are wonderful, don't ever lose sight of that. You will get through this and be stronger on the other side. Next month I'll be having mine and I'll need you to be strong and reassuring for me if I need it. We[emoji307] YOU.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

35 minutes ago, stabb009 said:

Your body has to heal. Its still early this is a major surgery. You'll be fine

Sent from my LGMP260 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you so much - I’ve been having a very bad day and I think going back to work this week was just a tad too soon x

6 minutes ago, kakatlady612 said:

I concur with stabb009, bluegirl. Think,of food As a boyfriend who doesn't want to break up with you. food, especially fast food, is saying" You promised you'd be with me forever You promised" He's trying to play on your emotions so you will let him stay. Meanwhile you're sore and hurting from your surgery. Sure you did really want it,but it is a shock,to,the body and takes a while to get over. There may be days where you can barely get around but try to keep moving even if walking around the house. There has been enough witnesses on here that say each day gets better. A little why-me-itus is common.The pain on the left side, might be where they pulled your stomach out if you were a sleeve, even it you were a bypass you might be tender there. From now on you're going to have a grownup relationship with food, when you get back to soft and solid foods you'll be eating to live, just not very big portions, not living to eat just so it doesn't leave the room or get away from you. I'm a mommy, I used to be the family garbage can, not no more. Too often I ate things so I didn't have to refrigerate it. Finally saw the light and I didn't have to open the fridge to do it. Your family, bless their little misguided hearts, don't understand. They can't unless they have gone through it. You are normal and you are wonderful, don't ever lose sight of that. You will get through this and be stronger on the other side. Next month I'll be having mine and I'll need you to be strong and reassuring for me if I need it. We YOU.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

You are so, so sweet and I can’t tell you how much better this response has made me feel.

I’ll be there if you need me x

It took me 6 months before I reached my happy state, when all the problems seemed to melt away so hang in there.

Lie everyone has said we promise...IT WILL GET BETTER. At which time you will think to yourself WOW!! Why was I so worried. I am getting healthy and food doesn't have that CONTROL over me any more. You just took your life back!!! Great things are coming down the pike for you. As far as your left side hurting, it could be what was sad that is where they removed you stomach with the Sleeve or if you are RNY the left side is where they put the instruments thru. My DR's Nurse told me that some people have so much pain that they need a Lidocaine shot. I hope everything works out for you. Take care and keep us posted on how you are!!

BTW our relationship with food is forever changed. We come to a point in our journey and realize that food no longer controls us. We control every bite or drink we take. No more running to food for comfort or whatever our food addictions were. It is a freeing moment when we figure this out.

44 minutes ago, James Marusek said:

It took me 6 months before I reached my happy state, when all the problems seemed to melt away so hang in there.

That’s so reassuring- maybe I’m asking too much of myself 5 weeks out. Thank you so much

18 minutes ago, shedo82773 said:

Lie everyone has said we promise...IT WILL GET BETTER. At which time you will think to yourself WOW!! Why was I so worried. I am getting healthy and food doesn't have that CONTROL over me any more. You just took your life back!!! Great things are coming down the pike for you. As far as your left side hurting, it could be what was sad that is where they removed you stomach with the Sleeve or if you are RNY the left side is where they put the instruments thru. My DR's Nurse told me that some people have so much pain that they need a Lidocaine shot. I hope everything works out for you. Take care and keep us posted on how you are!!

Thank you. They’ve said the left side pain is due to lots of scar tissue from a previous surgery prior to my RNY.

I will update how I’m doing xx I promise

Be kind to yourself, honey. These early weeks are all about fluids, rest, walking and not much else. We get sooo tired because we just had major surgery and are healing, learning our body's new normal, figuring it all out, and trying to meet other family needs and it gets overwhelming. Hormones can be whacked out too. Rest and sip all your liquids, strive to meet the Protein goals and walk.

At 5 weeks, I had lots of nausea and farting, belching, exhaustion, Constipation, hiccups, slight dehydration, a little dizziness, intolerance of Vitamins, intolerance of anything sweet like Protein Shakes, it was a process and at 4 months there are still a couple issues - but most are gone. The energy is grand, I can drink Water with ease, etc.

Take care of you.

((hugs)) Just keep swimming Dory!!! (and embrace the suck...if you can?)

I have had terrible nausea starting at around 3 1/2 weeks out that has continued. I had bypass surgery on 1/8/18. I have only been able to take a few bites of Protein before I am so nauseous that I feel like if I eat any more of it I’ll be sick. I called the Dr and was prescribed zofran....this didn’t help. I just had an endoscopy done and found out I have an ulcer. Probably from taking NSAIDS (ibuprofen 1000mg) several times a day, for years, for back pain. I just started a new medication and I am hopeful this nausea will go away because I just CAN NOT eat more than a few bites of protein before I feel REALLY sick. I know I am not getting anywhere near the protein I am supposed to get in a day and I feel like it’s screwing up my weight loss [emoji30] make sure you speak with your Dr about your nausea....just in case. Who knew an ulcer could cause nausea? I thought they just gave you a burning sensation?!?