Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Converting to bypass from sleeve

I had the sleeve at 19, I was terrified of the bypass because I was nervous about them touching my intestines, but now at 22 after weight gain and awful heartburn that led to stomach ulcers, I will be converting in July. Just looking for anyone who may have converted, what was different post op with the bypass than post op with the sleeve?

Hi I had gastric bypass from sleeve about a year and a half ago. I have had no problems with it. I do still have some acid reflux but that is my fault if I eat too late. I would do it over again. I have had nothing but success with it. As far as after surgery, I felt like since I had gastric sleeve this was nothing different. As a matter of fact to me it was an easier recovery.

I converted to bypass from sleeve 2016.Have done well.It is a little slower in recovery.Also more time to take care for sure chewing really well and eating slowly.I have lost another 62 lbs.I'm happy I did it. They also redid hiatal hernia.No reflux,no complications.

I am 2 weeks out from converting from sleeve to bypass, and there are a couple of others who have recently done the same or are considering it---- the conversations are there if you read backwards in the topics list.

It's very strange to be post-op again, and things are different compared to the sleeve as far as recovery. I've got 2 more weeks of this hellish liquids-only phase, so I'm still too new to offer much about the whole thing, but I'm excited to be on this new path to get myself to goal! Good luck to you too!

Im looking at having to do this as the sleeve 5 years out hasnt really worked for me as well as it should have i still go up and down and the last few months started to regain ... and i have realy bad relfux... I hope u get the results your after.. 😊

Started at 114kg

Got to 69kg 7months out. Fell preggers weighed 85kg before labour.. 75kg after.. then that first year got back up to 85kg.. then down to 66kg last year cutting out bread Pasta potato and rice for a year and a half (still going). Last few months im gaining and at 77kg.. whixh would be fine if i wasnt so short 158cm tall.. so im still obese:(.. but have to be thankful im not at starting weight.

How are u finding it so far .

Edited by K8t2018
Needes to add more

On 2/4/2018 at 10:00 AM, Shells_Almost_There said:

I am 2 weeks out from converting from sleeve to bypass, and there are a couple of others who have recently done the same or are considering it---- the conversations are there if you read backwards in the topics list.

It's very strange to be post-op again, and things are different compared to the sleeve as far as recovery. I've got 2 more weeks of this hellish liquids-only phase, so I'm still too new to offer much about the whole thing, but I'm excited to be on this new path to get myself to goal! Good luck to you too!

How is the weight loss going? I’m planning on vsg to rny in late March. Wondering if I won’t lose as much or as quickly.

Weight loss so far is good -- I'm on a 4-week liquid diet this time, and I seem to be mirroring the weight loss with my sleeve during the liquids-only phase (20+ pounds so far). I have heard that people don't lose as much weight after a conversion surgery, so I've kept my expectations realistic, just in case things are different this time around. So far, though, it's very similar.

My surgeon is adamant that weight loss with a conversion can be just as successful as an initial surgery if people stick to the strict diet, so that's my plan!