Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions about Duodenal Switch Surgery

I'm supposed to get the duodenal switch surgery soon, but I had a few questions. Is the surgery done in all at once or in steps? I also read online that those who get the surgery also have their gallbladder removed; is that true?

The doctor that's doing the surgery didn't really say if he was doing the surgery in stages or all at once. I'm assuming that he is doing the surgery all at once.

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

I just had a Loop DS done and my surgeon said that he might do it in stages if it looked like they couldn't do the whole procedure because of too much fat in the belly area. If that had happened, he would have done a gastric sleeve procedure and then, after I'd lost a good amount of weight, he would have done the actual switch. As it was, I had the whole surgery in one step, but I understand now why a surgeon might do it in stages.

I think some surgeons remove the gallbladder or appendix as a matter of course, supposedly to prevent problems with them later. Other surgeons have a, "if it's not broken leave it alone" philosophy. This is something to talk to your surgeon about before your surgery.

Good luck!

I had the traditional duodenal switch surgery. It was done in a one-step revision from a lapband. My surgeon said he might have to do it in two stages if there was too much scar tissue from the lapband, but that didn't happen and I was relieved. I didn't have my gallbladder removed, and I've been fine. I love my DS. My feet feel a whole lot better carrying less weight around.

Edited by Strivingforbetter

22 hours ago, Cats315 said:

I'm supposed to get the duodenal switch surgery soon, but I had a few questions. Is the surgery done in all at once or in steps? I also read online that those who get the surgery also have their gallbladder removed; is that true?

The doctor that's doing the surgery didn't really say if he was doing the surgery in stages or all at once. I'm assuming that he is doing the surgery all at once.

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

@Cats315it really depends on your surgeon and your size as to whether or not he will so it in one or two steps. It would be a good idea to Iron this all out before your surgery date. Also, you probably want to know if he does the full DS or the SIPS surgery.

I had the full DS almost 13 years ago. My surgeons do not remove the gb and/or appendix. I wish they did as I had to have my gb remove 3 years postop.

Edited by Postop