Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG Per op Newbie Need Advice/Guidance

Hey, guys, my name is Brittany and I've chosen to have VSG surgery. I'm 33, 5'7 and weigh 235lbs.:) I've had two appointments with my surgent Dr.Madan and absolutely love him and his staff! Basically, I'm starting this chat because I NEED guidance on almost every aspect of VSG surgery!!:blink: I'm a huge list maker, I live my life by them! In between my visits to my doctor and dietitian, I write down random questions to ask the next time I see them; I will post my list of questions at the end of this message. After reading all the question that I have already asked IF you can think of any other good questions I can ask either my doctor or dietitian PLEASE let me know. So... here are a few topics I'd love to get some advice on:huh: 1) Mental Heath after surgery, what kind of ups and downs did you face and how did you deal with them? 2) How soon should I start buying all my new foods (i.e. Vitamins, Protein shakes)? 3)Do you have suggestions on any bariatric food items that worked for you? I don't mind spending money if it's a product that really helps but I don't want to just throw my money because the product is bariatric specific. 4) Did anyone have troubles with intimacy after surgery I was told to ask about that? 5) Did any women see a change in their menstrual cycle? 6) when is safe to start drinking a glass of wine at dinner or special occasions? 7) any good books on VSG?? I can go on but I think you have an idea of where my mindset is at this point in my journey. I ultimately want to be as prepared as possible so any advice that you can give me will be great! :1301_clap_tone2:

My (ever growing) List of Questions::P

Test Done Before Surgery:

1. Can we test for Hypoglycemia?
  2. Is there a test we can do that can check the size and health of my liver? I am very concerned with Fatty Liver disease the larger the liver the more difficult it is to gain access to the stomach, some sergeants have even had to close up the patient and not perform the surgery because the liver was too enraged.

Pre-Op Questions:

1. How can I emotionally and physically prepare myself for surgery?
  2. What type of feelings can I expect to have directly after surgery?
  3. Do you offer or suggest any support groups for gastric sleeve patients?
  4. Are there any negative long-term effects of receiving a sleeve? Day of Surgery:
  5. What supplies should I bring to the hospital?
  6. What hospital will I be going to for my surgery?
  7. What are common emotions you see out of patients the day of surgery?
  8. I have really bad anxiety should I take a Xanax the night before surgery?
  9. If I’m spending the night at the hospital, will there be a bed for my husband to sleep in?During Surgery:
  10. How long will the surgery last?
  11. What will I feel waking up from surgery, queasy, panic, pain level?
  12. Will I be catheterized?
  13. Will I be intubated?
  14. When performing a sleeve, once a patient is opened up what are some complications you can discover? example: enlarged liver?

Post-Op Questions

1. When will my first follow up appointment be?
  2. How often will I need to see my doctor during the first year after surgery?
  3. How many leak test will you be performing the day after surgery?
  4. Are there any negative LONG- TERM effects of surgery such as poor nutritional health?
  5. How long do you think it takes for the body to longer be in shock? when will my body regulate itself?
  6. How often after surgery will we check the placement of the staples that are lining my stomach? Will we ever be doing a visual examination of the stomach to check the health of the surrounding stomach tissue?

Physical Side Effects:

~ What are the odds that I will lose my hair? Will it grow back after my body regulates its self?

~ Based on my size do you think it's likely that I will have loose skin?

~After surgery I read bowl movements will be difficult/ painful why is that and is there anything I can do to prevent it?

7. What kind supplies will I need once I get home? special pillows, loose pajamas, anti-nausea, medications etc…

Questions for Dr. Madan

1. How the hell do I pronounce your name? lol
  2. How common is it for your patients to have complications? What is the most common side effect?
  3. How many surgeries do you do a year?
  4. Based on your practice how common is it for patients to regain their weight?
  5. Do you notice that there are difficult periods within the first year that patients experience? I’m sure most patients are excited the first month but have you noticed common difficult points in patients journey adjusting to their new lifestyle?
  6. Can we go over complication rates of gastric surgery again?
  7. Are your survival rates similar to the national statistics?
  8. Have you ever had any leak complications with any sleeves you’ve done? what were the circumstances surrounding the leaks? Have any resulted in death?

Drugs, Vitamins, and Food

1. Do you suggest Probiotics? If yes how soon after the surgery should I start taking them? do you recommend a specific brand?
  2. Will I be taking vitamins if so what do you suggest I take?
  3. What kind of pain pills will I be taking and for how long?
  4. What type of anesthesia will be used during my surgery? Are there choices to consider?
  5. Are there any specific foods that I won't be able to eat post surgery? I know that soda is one thing I won't be able to have once I have my surgery are there any other foods or liquids that could hurt my gastric sleeve?
  6. Drinking Water after my surgery, I know I won't be able to take big gulps of water but how small of drinks will I be able to take comfortably.

Activity and Diet:

1. What will my workout schedule look like? do you a mock outline of a workout schedule for someone who just had the sleeve done?
  2. When will I be able to workout?
  3. Is it possible to get a mock diet outline after surgery?
  4. what will my 2-week pre-op diet look like?

Logistics:

1. When does my 90 days start?
  2. When will I be given my official surgery date?
  3. When should I schedule my sleep apnea study?
  4. Can I get a copy of my surgery on DVD?
  5. Are there any other prerequisites I need to get done before my insurance will allow me to have my surgery?

There should be a handbook at every surgeon's office that answers all of these questions! You are so thorough. My surgeon's office did give a handbook out following the consultation and it had acceptable post-surgery foods listed. About the liver, the pre-surgery diet is in place to shrink your liver. When people don't follow that diet, their livers do not shrink enough. I was worried about my liver being small enough but I asked my surgeon after and she said that mine was "very small." Funny the things that people can get hung up on. lol

You've done a fabulous job coming up with important questions. I really can't think of something you should add. Sure hope your visit goes well. :206_cat:

Only thing I could think of is how soon after surgery can i get up walk? I've been told it will help me get rid of the gas in my body. Maybe how soon can I go home if everything goes well? You have a very thorough list already and I certainly wish you well on this journey,please update us on everything.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app