Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those who are on psych meds, bi-polar, anxiety, depression.

I am bi-polar. Up until surgery I have been stable for almost 4 years. I was taking Welbutrin XR 450 mg am, xanax 1 mg 3 x a day and Seroquel 300 at bed. They never told me before surgery that I would not be able to use the Welbutrin XR any more. They have me on regular Welbutrin 400 mg am. (Can not take them later in the day, they keep me awake) I am snappy, anxious, depressed. I now have been isolating myself. Back to not wanting to do anything. Crying/sobbing moments at least 3x a day. I feel out of control. I am afraid they will try to put me back on an ssri, because that helped the weight gain and the loss of my depth perception. Plus the last one gave me horrible side effects and hallucinations. I cant see psych med until the first week of Feb. I see my counselor tomorrow. Anyone have/had these issues?

SW 350 (11/15)

BSW 260 (10/17/17)

CW 223 (1/14/18)

RGW 199

GW 175

I thought I couldn't take ER as well. My surgery was Jan 11 I was approved to not only shallow psy meds but also take an ER one. So ask again. My stomach feels fine taking them. I have a revion surgery Band to sleeve one surgery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using BariatricPal mobile app

That doesn't seem right. I've been on Wellbutrin XR for years and I took it the day after surgery and am still on it today. If I were you, I'd see if there were other surgical programs in your area that will allow you to take the meds you need or talk with a psychiatrist to help you to stay on the XR while still pursuing surgery. A good number of doctors are not well-versed in psych meds, so I would fight to get the care you need.

Edited by monalyssa33
adding clarification

I only had anxiety (panic attacks at night) due to sleep apnea. I was prescribed Cipralex I believe it was (the generic of it was escitalopram). Once the apnea was gone didn't need it any more and have been off. My situation was a lot more straight forward. For many others, it's a lot more complicated with the brain is wired. I'd keep expectations to a minimum and just do your best.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

It was my psych dr that took me off of them, not any of my regular doctors

SW 350 (11/15)
BSW 260 (10/17/17)
CW 223 (1/14/18)
RGW 199
GW 175

My doctor asked me if I was on any XR beforehand, fortunately I was not. Like the other poster said, maybe you can ask again. I personally had no issues taking my meds and I take like 8 pills each morning. I hate having mental illness, but it is something we live with everyday.

Discuss this with your surgeon. Extended release medications are a problem with gastric BYPASS patients as their intestinal path is shortened. Gastric SLEEVE patients have no change in their ability to absorb medications, including extended release, as these drugs are absorbed in the intestines. It sounds like your psychiatrist isn’t familiar with the difference between the different forms of bariatric surgery (which isn’t that weird, your psych probably hasn’t seen the inside of an operating room since med school). It sounds like your psychiatrist needs a consult with your surgeon regarding how your metabolism is and isn’t affected by your surgery. By the way, consults happen all the time, you wouldn’t be asking for anything out of the ordinary.

Finally starting to feel a little more normal. I went back on the Welbutrin XL and although I dont feel great, I feel better. Waiting for it to level out. Thank God!

SW 350 (11/15)
BSW 260 (10/17/17)
CW 217.6 (1/22/18)
RGW 199
GW 175

Finally starting to feel a little more normal. I went back on the Welbutrin XL and although I dont feel great, I feel better. Waiting for it to level out. Thank God!

SW 350 (11/15)
BSW 260 (10/17/17)
CW 217.6 (1/22/18)
RGW 199
GW 175

Glad you are starting to feel better.
Wellbutrin literally made me crazy, I had to go off of it.

I was diagnosed by one doc with major depression. Then two years later diagnosed by my current doc with BP II. I honestly don’t believe I have BP II, but he put me on Lamotrogine 300mg and it completely changed my life. I made sure with my surgeon that I could continue the Lamotrogine because it’s a deal breaker if I can’t. He said I should have no problems, so I’m preparing myself for another life change! :)

I was diagnosed by one doc with major depression. Then two years later diagnosed by my current doc with BP II. I honestly don’t believe I have BP II, but he put me on Lamotrogine 300mg and it completely changed my life. I made sure with my surgeon that I could continue the Lamotrogine because it’s a deal breaker if I can’t. He said I should have no problems, so I’m preparing myself for another life change! [emoji4]

Are you taking anything in addition to the Lamotrigen?

Nope! And I don’t have the side effects SSRIs and SNRIs gave me. So this is truly my miracle drug.

Strattera and Ambien, both work about the same post-surgery. I asked my psychiatrist pre-surgery whether I could continue taking both post-surgery.

6 hours ago, logicwand said:

Nope! And I don’t have the side effects SSRIs and SNRIs gave me. So this is truly my miracle drug.

I take it in addition to Luvox and sadly I do not feel that either one is a miracle for me. I am glad it is working for you however. Struggling with mental illness is the worst.

Yes! Struggling with mental illness is horrible. I suffered a long time without help. Maybe that’s why it’s working so well