Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone cheat on pre op diet?

My Post-Op liquid diet says to sip continually, trying to aim for 6-8 cups of Fluid. (no carbonated, no straws, diluted juices)

Allowed are juices, broths, coffee & tee (no sugar), sugar free Jello, s/f popsicles, s/f juice bars, s/f Crystal lite, and skim milk.

A must is low carb Protein drinks, or Protein Powder added to Water (or unflavored added to Jello or broths) to keep up the Protein intake. (My preference is for whey protein isolate, which mixes instantly with a spoon).

I lasted 3 days on the pre-op diet. Then went on a 2 week binge. I had an enlarged fatty liver from and ultrasound. I did great with my surgery though. My surgeon said there is a high risk of failure for people who don't follow the pre-op diet. I was banded 8/31/07 and have lost 33lbs now. Just had my first fill yesterday. Haven't really felt hungry yet.

I would have a slim fast around 10:00, another at 11:00, a salad at 12:30, another slimfast at 3:30, chicken at dinner time and then 2 more slim fasts at night before I went to bed. This was pre-op.

Post op, I would have a diluted slimfast (1 can of slimfast and then fill the same can with milk and mix up in a bottle) around 12 noon and then another around 9:00 at night. coffee, juice or Water throughout the day.

Debbie, I think some surgeons allow for a more flexible pre-op diet, with the main concentration on NO SUGAR. Apparently, they want the glycogen stores depleted so the liver is easier to work around--hence the required Post-op "Liquid Diet" is more flexible pre-op.

does anyone know if all those medical terms on blood test that have to do with the liver determine the size of ur liver also e.g Bilirubin , ALT, AST etc

my bilirubin level is 9, the normal is below 25

does anyone know if all those medical terms on blood test that have to do with the liver determine the size of ur liver also e.g Bilirubin , ALT, AST etc

my bilirubin level is 9, the normal is below 25

I am a physician, although not a bariatric surgeon, but I can answer that. The enzymes are not related to the size of the liver. The liver enzymes reflect its functioning, and conditions like gallstones or inflammation from meds, infection, alcohol or other problems will raised the enzymes. But you can have a fatty liver, which makes the surgery more technically difficult, with entirely normal enzymes and normal liver functioning. It's just that a fatty liver gets in the surgeon's way. Especially laparoscopically because it's all done through such small incisions. The surgeon can't "lift" the liver away like in an open procedure. Again, I am not a surgeon, so perhaps there are additional issues, but what I have written here is correct.

SIMEGO, thanx, now im scared shitless, lol,, im gonna be extra good for the next 3 days, hopefully thats enough time to shrink my liver,,,omg,, im gonna die,,,

Everyone does a little cheating. I was so worried about my liver too but these doctors are excellent and very rarely do they need to open you. Don't be afraid it will all work out. The pre-diet helped me get used to Portion Control though and give you a kick start on losing. I was banded 1 week today and so far since Aug I have lost 26 lbs. So I am on my way and feeling so happy about it.

I went to NYC the weekend before my surgery for our anniversary (scheduled on wed). I had Breakfast and dinner, desserts...I didn''t have to lose weight initially but was still suppose to be on the pre-op diet and I really did not succeed and I did not mention it to my doc when I went in and I was waiting for her to tell me when I woke up thatmy liver was so fat and she could tell but that was not the case. I stuck to liquid shakes and broth Mon and Tues...Good Luck

SIMEGO, thanx, now im scared shitless, lol,, im gonna be extra good for the next 3 days, hopefully thats enough time to shrink my liver,,,omg,, im gonna die,,,

I certainly didn't mean to scare you! The medical risk is that the procedure is too difficult to accomplish laparoscopically so the surgeon does something else. Like NOT do the operation. That's the risk. He's not going to do something dangerous. However, that WOULD suck, right? So, just remember, it's only a few days and YOU CAN DO IT!!!

I think the veggies are to give you the chewing feeling and even chewed give a little substance in the stomach.

I too have to do a liquid diet 2 weeks before the surgery. People here at work swear by the fruit smoothies as Meal Replacements so I will sub that in between the slimfast, veggies and broth. Heck, I might even do the whole thing sucking on ice pops.

I think I will have the most problem at home, work has people that know what I am doing and will watch me.