Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I have no more chewable calcium citrate after tomorrow, and have no money. I totally miscounted and thought I had enough until the beginning of the month.

Can I take non chewable? They are not coated, plus I have to half them because of their size. (Swallowing issues from prior thyroid surgery) will these be ok to use for the next 2 weeks? I am afraid to call the nutritionist and ask. Anyone know? I just dont want to have to take them and they dont do anything!

SW 350 (11/15)

BSW 260 (10/17/17)

CW 223 (1/14/18)

RGW 199

GW 175

How far out are you? I was taking pills within a few weeks of surgery.

I would check with the nutritionist or surgeon, they may have free samples that can get you through the next two weeks. But I went back on Janumet the night I got home from the hospital, which is a pretty big pill, and I went back on the big fish oil capsules a week out. Neither gave me any issues.

I started taking regular pills after 2 months or so. I hated chewables and was cheaper to go with traditional pills. Breaking up bigger pills is a good idea of course. As long as you have no issues swallowing them there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to.

If you can swallow it regular pills you should be ok. They may be crushable too if they can be split.

After surgery I discovered that I could no longer swallow medium to large pills. So I used pill splitters and pill crushers. This condition lasted for about 2 months and then things returned back to normal.

Calcium pills were the worse because when you crushed them, they tasted like chalk. I found that if I put the powder into a glass of crystal light, I could take it this way. After I drank the glass full, there was a white paste at the bottom (calcium), so I added some more crystal light and stirred it really good and drank it. After 3 or 4 times the paste was gone. This also helped with meeting my daily Fluid requirements.

I was so glad when I could swallow again normally. Now the calciums are no problem at all.

Thank you! I have been getting the chewable ones. Since I had my thyroid out (11/2016) I have had a hard time. I had surgery a few weeks ago and havent had a problem since. I will crush them to be sure!

I never took the chewables. As long as it's the correct dose of Calcium Citrate...you're golden. Honestly? I just pop them in a glass with a little hot Water or coffee and wait for them to soften a little...then I munch them up and swallow them. I get the big chalky monsters that are the size of a June bug. They have the taste and consistency of plaster of Paris going down...but meh...i'm cheap. It saves a buck and it's not so bad. I used to use a pill crusher and put the powder in sugar free Kool whip or yogurt.

13 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

I never took the chewables. As long as it's the correct dose of Calcium Citrate...you're golden. Honestly? I just pop them in a glass with a little hot Water or coffee and wait for them to soften a little...then I munch them up and swallow them. I get the big chalky monsters that are the size of a June bug. They have the taste and consistency of plaster of Paris going down...but meh...i'm cheap. It saves a buck and it's not so bad. I used to use a pill crusher and put the powder in sugar free Kool whip or yogurt.

What do you use? I was looking at costco Kirkland brand.

8E0C2E89-21B2-45F5-9D4C-C4A0EE05AD05.png

Edited by Walter White

If you can’t get some from your doc or nut, I would love to help you out. If you would want to email me your address, I would put enough to get you through until you can get more.

Thank you! My cousin went and bought me a bottle. My surgeon said the regular are fine, but try to get uncoated. He said just to keep an eye on my acid reflux. Thank you all! This will save me alot of money!

SW 350 (11/15)
BSW 260 (10/17/17)
CW 223 (1/14/18)
RGW 199
GW 175