Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! I’ve really been struggling with overeating. I usually feel fine while eating. It’s pretty easy for me to eat compared to what I’ve heard from others. The problem is I often have chest pain or an uncomfortable feeling of being full after I eat. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? I also would appreciate any ideas on how to eat slower. I know when I’m eating too fast because my body tells me, but I just can’t come up with good ways to eat slower. I eat fast without thinking. Thanks in advance!

You already said your body is giving signals to slow down and dont over eat. If you can't find a way to stop. You might want to find a counselor/theripist to help

Some tips....sit at a table to eat with no distactions. Take a bite and seriouly concentrate on chewing it and slowing down. Read up on mindful eating practices

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

I push the bowl or plate away from me after a few bites and wait a minute or two before resuming.

Tips my NUT gave me:

1) The "chew for 20" rule. Means take a bite, chew it at least 20 times, and then swallow.

2) Use a baby spoon/fork.

3) Put the fork down between bites

4) Make the act of eating about eating. Don't sit in front of the computer or watch TV. It's easy to get lost and not pay attention to how much you're eating or how quickly.

5) Measure your portions and stick to the portion size. No going back for seconds. In time you probably will be able to increase your portion size, which is normal, but if you can manage 1/2 cup or 1 cup of food then measure it out and that's what you get.

6) If it isn't realistic to sit at a table by yourself then find something that you could do while eating. Maybe read a book. Take a bite, put the fork down, and make yourself read a full page (or two or three or four...you get the point) and then take another bite.

7) Pay attention to the time you start eating. In the early days I always looked at the clock when I sat down to eat. I was supposed to make a meal last 20-30 minutes. I'd take a bite, set the plate aside, wait X amount of time, and then take another bite. Lot of that depends on what you're eating, but tracking the time helps.

I was similar in that I have always been able to eat bigger portions, haven't feel much restriction and don't get sick or dumping from anything. So I've had to employ lots of different tools along the way... Not sure how far out you are - but in my earlier months I did work a lot with my nutritionist to adjust my meal plan to fit me. With their help, I increased my portions a little bit over what their normal "plan" says and added in some different foods earlier since I was tolerating everything. They also helped me to really listen to my body and the subtle 'full' signals that I was getting. I have tried all of the mindful eating techniques but honestly what works best for me is to have a little distraction. For example - I'll have a book near me and take one bite, push the food away and then read two pages. Then take another bite. I also used to set a timer when I eat - use the whole time and then once it's done I'm done (even if there is food left). That helped to train my brain to slow down. And of course using small dishes/plates and utensils - I still use small dessert forks for every meal.