Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does surgery impact metabolism or Portion Control alone?

1 minute ago, ElseeG said:

Hi. Does anyone know whether the surgery impacts metabolism or whether it impacts Portion Control alone?

Thanks!

I'm not a medical professional. Just some personal thoughts on this topic..

I'm sure you have heard this repeatedly ...Surgical weight loss is not Portion Control alone. You still have to eat according to your plan and increase activity. If you don't change to healthy foods/behaviors you won't be successful long term.

Different medical issues can affect your metabolism rate. My metabolism was a bit messed up before surgery (type one diabetic) It's a bit messed up still.

Hi. Does anyone know whether the surgery impacts metabolism or whether it impacts Portion Control alone?
Thanks!

I'm 13 months post-op, and after my one year appointment I found my metabolism wasn't impacted by surgery. I started this process with a high metabolism rate, which attributes to my never having an issue dropping weight pre-op. For my one year, they tested my metabolism to find it's the same.

RNY 12/20/16 32YO 5'9" HW- 408 SW- 388 CW- 247 current BMI- 27

Sweat is just fat crying!

Changes in gut microbiota (all the little helpful bacteria that live in the gut) might have a LOT to do with changes in metabolism and weight loss after bypass and sleeve. Both increase the diversity of helpful bugs that are associated with people at healthy weights.

https://www.wired.com/2017/05/obesity-surgery-may-work-remaking-gut-microbiome/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140326142209.htm

This is really interesting and could be a future pathway to medical weightloss....rather than surgically removing the stomach, we might give people living biologicals to swallow to change their gut microbiota to promote weight loss and metabolic changes.

Some fascinating stuff coming:)

Here's a nice layman article about metabolic theory: https://weightlosssurgery.thehealthpartner.com/learning-center-page/understanding-metabolic-health

We have a ton of natural defenses that have evolved to fight starvation...hormones that fight us like crazy when we lose weight. Back when we were dealing with bad crop years and bad hunting...this helped keep us alive. Now that we have too many calories and too sedentary a lifestyle...we have few natural defenses to help protect our health in the opposite direction...so a big problem.

Nailing down the exact mechanisms of metabolic change....whether it's the gut microbiota, or hormonal changes, bile acids effecting nuclear receptors, changes in behavior, environment....it's a huge puzzle that we're still figuring out. But we do know there are significant changes that occur after surgery for most people.

Edited by Creekimp13

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches