Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On-q pain pump almost empty

I’m going into day 6 post op and I have an On-Q pump that is almost empty and will need to come out probably in the next 12hrs. My pump only numbed the area below my diaphragm to above my belly button, and only reached 1 of my 3 lower incisions. One of my incisions and the muscle under it still hurts like hell. So I’m really nervous that when I take this thing out, I’m going to start having upper abdominal pain.

Just looking to hear about your experience you removed the catheter and what happened when you weren’t numb any longer.

I guess since no one gets this, let me tell you how much I wish I still had it in. 6 days out, I guess I’m one of those people who have a lot of pain with this surgery. My on-q pump made the area more numbed than I realized. I wish I didn’t have to take it out this morning, which was another ordeal itself. The on-q pump is a catheter similar to a soaked hose with a bunch of holes in. It. The catheter is threaded into your incision at the end of your surgery and it continuously releases a medicine like lidocaine. You wear it for 5 or so days and when the pre filled meds empty, you take off all the tegaderm and tape and pull the catheter out of your body yourself. Then stick a bandaid over it. I got really clammy and nauseous pulling it out of my stomach. 5/10 pain I never knew I was in until it came out and wore off.

My hospital stopped doing on Q pumps around a year ago. There's nothing special about them and it absolutely should not be necessary at 6 days. Most people get just regular local anesthesia that wears off in 2-3 days or less. When I had my sleeve I didn't have an on q nor did I felt I needed one or it would've helped me feel better

This topic baffles me.

I got out of bed two hours after surgery, started walking, took as few pain meds as the nurses would allow, and got home the next day. Took one dose of narcotic meds orally the night I got home...to get a good night's sleep and never took any again. I walked constantly and felt terrific. I did take a little regular Tylenol for a couple days at the insistence of my hubby and daughter.

I have had dental work that was significantly more painful than this surgery.

All that said?

I have not experienced the OP's pain. Individuals vary greatly. So I'm certainly not trying to cast aspersions.

I do have to say, though...that pain meds can slow the gut and hiding pain isn't always the best idea. Discomfort exists to keep us from injuring ourselves. If I'm stretching or stressing a subcutaneous incision site...I'd rather it hurt so I can change position...than not hurt and sleep on it all night wrong and stress it. Pain stinks...but some pain can be useful and protective. (unless it's crazy out of control)

Edited by Creekimp13

This topic baffles me.
I got out of bed two hours after surgery, started walking, took as few pain meds as the nurses would allow, and got home the next day. Took one dose of narcotic meds orally the night I got home...to get a good night's sleep and never took any again. I walked constantly and felt terrific. I did take a little regular Tylenol for a couple days at the insistence of my hubby and daughter.
All that said?
I have not experienced the OP's pain. Individuals vary greatly. So I'm certainly not trying to cast aspersions.
I do have to say, though...that pain meds can slow the gut and hiding pain isn't always the best idea. Discomfort exists to keep us from injuring ourselves. If I'm stretching or stressing a subcutaneous incision site...I'd rather it hurt so I can change position...than not hurt and sleep on it all night wrong and stress it. Pain stinks...but some pain can be useful and protective. (unless it's crazy out of control)

I’ve been walking every three hours since I woke up from anesthesia. I’m...9 or 10 days post op and today is the first day I didn’t have pain. Finally.
I only took Tylenol this entire time. Im glad I had it, although come to find out I coughed too hard and ripped a few stitches so maybe that is why I had such an unfortunate experience. How wonderful for you and the other poster to have easy pain free experiences!

My hospital stopped doing on Q pumps around a year ago. There's nothing special about them and it absolutely should not be necessary at 6 days. Most people get just regular local anesthesia that wears off in 2-3 days or less. When I had my sleeve I didn't have an on q nor did I felt I needed one or it would've helped me feel better

The shot that lasts for a few days was the plan but something happened that I’m not entirely clear about. Something along the lines of needing another and they couldn’t get it up to the operating room on time. I think the shot is what most surgeons are doing now. It was a massive burden to carry around.

The shot that lasts for a few days was the plan but something happened that I’m not entirely clear about. Something along the lines of needing another and they couldn’t get it up to the operating room on time. I think the shot is what most surgeons are doing now. It was a massive burden to carry around.

And sadly completely necessary for me even could have used it up until yesterday. 9 or 10 days post op now and had horrible pain. Coming from the girl who had natural drug free child birth. I’m certainly not known as having a low pain tolerance. Everyone has a different experience.

4 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

This topic baffles me.

All that said?

An on q isn't filled with narcotics or opioids. They typically use a long acting local anesthetic like ropiviciane (also known as Naropin) this is very similar to the stuff they give you at the dentist just with a different duration and a slightly different drug. As a matter of fact it's beneficial because it theoretically means the patient will need less narcotics opioid start walking sooner etc

32 minutes ago, niceross said:

Yeah its likely exparel (liposomal bupivicaine) is but that only lasts 48-72 hours tops, and it very rarely makes it to 72. Pain wise it's very similar to an on q pump, except you don't need the giant bulb hanging out of you

31 minutes ago, Mhy12784 said:

An on q isn't filled with narcotics or opioids. They typically use a long acting local anesthetic like ropiviciane (also known as Naropin) this is very similar to the stuff they give you at the dentist just with a different duration and a slightly different drug. As a matter of fact it's beneficial because it theoretically means the patient will need less narcotics opioid start walking sooner etc

Correct.