Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DNA Testing for Wellness and Weight Management

I use DEXA scans and metabolic testing to set my Protein and calorie goals. Genetic testing has became more affordable and accessible for recreational and lay use. I decided to give it a whirl. I am not going to name companies here since the site is google searchable but if someone messages me I will name the companies privately.

My DNA was sequenced by 2 companies. One company does everything self contained and another company sequences DNA and then sells you partner products based on that sequenced DNA. The first company allows you to download your DNA for upload to other companies. The 2nd company does not accept other DNA and does not allow you to export your DNA. I would suggest using a company that allows you to export and share your DNA.

These two tests were done a few months apart so I had the first company for a few months to go over the results and also to upload my DNA to other places.

I'm not going to get too deep into my DNA here, but the one thing from the larger (imo more reputable) company that sequenced my DNA is that basically I can eat however I want and lose weight. The type of diet doesn't matter, just the calorie deficit. Also, I am a part of a small percentage (12%) the population that doesn't need to exercise to lose weight. My body is predisposed to gaining muscle easily and to weigh about average. This company provides information for ancestry and overall wellness.

The 2nd company I signed up for sells diet and fitness coaching. The results from this company are almost the opposite of the original company and the other sites I uploaded my DNA to. Why would the same DNA yield such different results? My conclusion is because they are trying to sell a coaching plan for $1000. If I really believe their interpretation of my DNA I might be inclined to purchase their services, but since this information contradicts all the other information I have obtained over the past few months prior to this test, I believe their results are bias so convince people to purchase their services, which is disappointing. For example they state I have a genetic predisposition to gain weight from dietary fat, when everything else has stated the opposite and my own eating habits have proved the opposite. Their results also say I am less likely to gain weight from Carbs, which personally I know is not true at all. The only thing they agreed about was my overall body composition (genetic predisposed to a smaller weight and normal weight).

So if anyone is considering DNA testing for diet and fitness suggestions. Just keep in mind that DNA testing is new, highly subjective and can be interpreted different ways.

I am still going to pursue this for more information. There are a couple other nutrition services based on DNA I want to try. I will update with results over the next few months.