Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

concerned about hunger

As I read these posts I am really concerned about hunger. (my surgery date is 12/17) I don't deal well with being hungry. I have gotten myself to eat three meals a day and I don't eat unless I am hungry/when I am hungry. (big step for me) BUT.... sometimes it is really hard not to eat, especially between lunch and dinner when I am starving. Have most of you experienced being hungry after surgery... and is it really intense? I don't want to go through surgery (especially a week before Christmas) and be starving anyway. :help:

I'm on day 5 post surgery (10/19) and so far I've not been hungry. That's not to say I haven't had an appetite. The other day I wanted to eat, but wasn't really hungry. I think part of our challenge in training ourselves to eat is to identify hunger versus appetite, or boredom.

My doctor has advised that the goal is 3 meals and 3 Snacks. If we're in the right spot for our band then with that we won't be hungry - we should be satisfied - not stuffed after our meals. However, we have to get to the right spot. With your scheduled surgery you'll be in the 4 weeks "recovery eating" during Christmas. liquids, soft foods etc. From what I've heard hunger starts around that 3 and 4 week.

That will also be a challenge - learning to eat until satisfied.

I don't know what's around tomorrow's corner, but for now - on day 5 I can honestly say I'm not hungry.

Sometimes your hunger will return before your first fill. In my case, I am 16 months out. I get hungry a few hours after a meal. I eat a few small meals a day. Good luck.

During Bandster Hell (the period between surgery and the first fill giving you restriction) you will experience hunger, mostly in the first 30 days when you're on the liquid and mushie diet. When you get proper restriction you may not feel hunger much at all. I am 5 months out, and never seem to feel hunger at all anymore, and actually my head hunger is rare too. If you don't deal with hunger well....then eat. Just try to eat things that are working with the band. The first 30 days after surgery I tried to find "filling things" that would at least give me the sense of eating something solid (something with a spicier taste, or whatever). I was used to "grazing" a lot. So I grazed....instead of eating 3 Lean Cuisines (which is what I would have grazed on in my "former life" I ate 6 Jello cups (at 10 cal per cup)... But no, to answer your question you are not going to feel like you are being "systematically starved". No one will hold your feet to the fire but you, but hunger has not been a problem since I got a good restriction.

I am also 5 months out. I have found if I do not drink my fluids like I am supposed to, then I get hungry. I have to chart it on the frig. a hash mark fo reach 8 oz. It has really helped me. I also do 3 meals 3 Snacks. I am thrilled with the lap band. My hubby got his 8 weeks ago and has lost 45 lbs. it does work!

good luck

I am thrilled with the lap band. My hubby got his 8 weeks ago and has lost 45 lbs. it does work!

Ain't it the truth!!!! Periodically I see posts where people ask if this is just a "snake oil sell" or something. I can tell you that it WORKS. I didn't think it would work for ME (you always figure you will be the one it will "fail" on!) and NO ONE was more surprised than I as the pounds fell off, my self-discipline shot through the roof!!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 0 replies
    • Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches