Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey BariatricPal Members! Happy New Year from BariatricPal!

Happy New Year from BariatricPal! Let it be the healthiest and happiest yet for you and your loved ones. Take a few minutes today, before the world gets back to business, as usual, tomorrow, to appreciate yourself for your good efforts in 2017, and to rev up for a strong 2018.

We hope to be your partner in weight loss in 2018, and can’t wait to see you hit your goals. Be sure to tell us about every step in the BariatricPal Forums, and remember to ask other members your questions, too. Here’s to a Happy, Healthy, New Year for all of us!

Sincerely,

Alex Brecher

Founder, BariatricPal

Small Steps, Big Results

The destination can seem awfully far away if you are a pre-op or post-op patient but look on the bright side. First, a year is a long time, and you can be much nearer your weight goals by the end of 2018. Second, small steps can get you a long way towards those goals. Here are some small steps for pre-op and post-op patients to try.

Pre-Op

Pre-op patients are getting ready for that life-changing operation, and this is a good time to start working on that healthy lifestyle. Here are a few small changes you can try.

• Eat 3 to 5 servings of vegetables every day.
  • Cut your usual dessert portions in half.
  • Ask restaurant servers how menu items are prepared, and order the healthier versions.
  • Read labels for calories, Protein, and sugar.
  • Log your meals.

Post-Op

Follow your post-op diet and other instructions, and the pounds should come off regularly, except for the occasionally unavoidable plateau. You can make a few small changes during this time to make your transition to your post-op world easier.

• Drink an extra 8 ounces of Water, ice water, or water with Flavor Enhancer in the afternoon.
  • Count your grams of daily protein.
  • Start a conversation with at least one person at each of your weight loss surgery support group meetings.

Solid Foods

The lifestyle changes are all-encompassing. If they seem overwhelming, focus on only one or two small changes at a time. Commit to them for two weeks – a more manageable chunk of time than “forever” – and you may find that these changes become a habit.

• Go lean with protein. Trim fat, choose “lean” or “extra lean,” or select plant-based Proteins, such as Beans, tofu, and nuts.
  • Pack your lunch the night before. You may need to invest in small containers or a Portion8 Plate.
  • Add an extra serving of vegetable to your day.
  • Count to 30 before you swallow each bite.

These small changes can become a habit and lead to bigger gains in weight loss, without much stress. With enough small changes, you can hit your goals in 2018.

The Shortcut to Getting Back on Track

The time between Thanksgiving and New Year’s is an almost impossibly unhealthy time for nearly everyone, so do not feel bad if you Instead of spending time and energy regretting December, look forward to 2018. With some serious work, the effects of the holiday season can be a distant memory by the time February hits.

Clear Your Kitchen

Leftovers and off-limits foods call. The surefire way to resist their temptation is to eliminate them, especially in your kitchen. Get rid of leftovers such as pies, Cookies, creamy dips, and frozen appetizers if they are irresistible. Also, target pantry items such as baking mixes and candied nuts that may have come in handy during the holidays. Donate extras or use a trash can, not your body, to get rid of them.

Plan Your Menu

It is so much easier to follow your meal plan when you have a meal plan. One strategy for getting back on track is going back to the basics of the solid foods stage of your post-op WLS diet; that probably includes plenty of protein, a few veggies, the occasional healthy starch and fat, and tiny portions. You can also check out the Back on Track menus at The BariatricPal Store for effortless high-protein, low-carb plans.

Health Is “In:” Take Advantage

You are not alone if you struggled with your diet and health over the past several weeks. The good news is that you will not be alone as you return your focus to your healthy diet and workout routine. Be on the lookout for:

• Sales of health foods in supermarkets.
  • Discounts on gym memberships and fitness classes.
  • End-of-year clearance sales on workout clothes and equipment.
  • Friendly, dedicated people like you who might be willing to be your weight loss or workout buddy.

January Flavors for Weight Loss

January calls for warm flavors, comforting dishes, and quick meal ideas, since, after all, many of us are back to the real world of work and school after the holiday season magic. At the same time, the food still needs to be weight loss surgery-friendly: high-protein, low in sugar and refined carbs, and nutrient-packed. It’s a tall order, but you can meet it. Here are some ideas.

• Liquid Diet: Hot Protein Cocoa – Make instant Hot Cocoa for a snack or dessert.
  • Pureed Foods Diet: Nourishing Protein Soup – Prepare Cream of Mushroom Soup for lunch. Add cooked carrots, green beans, or cauliflower, and puree it into a thick soup before serving.
  • Semi-Solid Foods Diet: Turkey Eggplant Meatloaf - Use your regular meatloaf recipe, but add 8 ounces of shredded eggplant (or zucchini) per pound of turkey. Also, swap out the ketchup for 1 cup of stewed tomatoes.
  • Solid Foods Diet: Spaghetti Feta salad – Mix prepared Protein Pasta or cooked spiralized zucchini (zoodles) with feta, cooked cubed eggplant and bell peppers, and diced onion, fresh thyme, and a dash of olive oil.

We sincerely hope that 2018 is the year you achieve your dream of weight loss surgery, you hit goal weight, or you embark on exciting new adventures that make you happy. Whatever it is, BariatricPal supports you and wishes you the best. Thanks for being part of our community, and again, Happy New Year!

1 minute ago, CaliforniaCandy said:

Thanks, Alex. Best New Year coming up,

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

Candy

Thank you very much! 😀