Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Silly Anesthesia Question

Hi all! I’m getting sleeved Monday morning and just wanna know how you all reacted to the anesthesia? I’m wondering if I’ll be saying crazy things like the YouTube videos lol.. my friend-coworker will be with me and I’m wondering if it’s a good idea to just have her wait until I’m out of recovery?

Stupid question, I know. Trying to keep my anxiety down

That anesthesia works very fast. Within a few minutes of receiving it, I was out. Not rambling on, but out. I didn't receive it until I was in the OR. If that is the case for you, your friend won't be allowed in anyway, so there is nothing to worry about.

People respond to the anesthesia differently. Some get sick and nauseous, some are fine. I was lucky enough to be one of the latter. I had an excellent experience.

Don't worry though. You will be fine. Think good thoughts.

Welcome to the loser's club!

That anesthesia works very fast. Within a few minutes of receiving it, I was out. Not rambling on, but out. I didn't receive it until I was in the OR. If that is the case for you, your friend won't be allowed in anyway, so there is nothing to worry about.
People respond to the anesthesia differently. Some get sick and nauseous, some are fine. I was lucky enough to be one of the latter. I had an excellent experience.
Don't worry though. You will be fine. Think good thoughts.
Welcome to the loser's club!

Phew! I’m hoping after waking up that I won’t be a oversharing weirdo until it wears off. Lol.

Thank you so much! I’m really excited [emoji4]

I’ve always reacted poorly to anesthesia (nausea) but I’ve never said anything wonky because of that. I will say I was giggly when they put in the IV Benedryl and anti anxiety medicine. [emoji847]

Oh good times! :D So my guys know me. They know I'm chicken and love having a good time. So they give me fentanyl, because I'm allergic to benzodiazipines, to start trippin. Then we talk and listen to Pink Floyd "Comfortably Numb" as they are getting me settled on the OR table. They know better than to put a mask over my face until I'm totally whacked. Mostly a lot of laughing and joking, then nothing. Zonk.

I wake up in recovery sitting up cracking jokes. I'm a happy, cheap drunk. I would probably spill the secrets of the Western world if asked, but I don't think those guys have time. They want to put me under without a freak show and get me safely through to the other side without issue. :D

You'll do just fine!

I’ve always reacted poorly to anesthesia (nausea) but I’ve never said anything wonky because of that. I will say I was giggly when they put in the IV Benedryl and anti anxiety medicine. [emoji847]

Aside from my upper endoscopy, I’ve actually never been under anesthesia so I hope I don’t react negatively to it! I’ll take giggly any day though lol. Thank you so much!

Oh good times! [emoji3] So my guys know me. They know I'm chicken and love having a good time. So they give me fentanyl, because I'm allergic to benzodiazipines, to start trippin. Then we talk and listen to Pink Floyd "Comfortably Numb" as they are getting me settled on the OR table. They know better than to put a mask over my face until I'm totally whacked. Mostly a lot of laughing and joking, then nothing. Zonk.
I wake up in recovery sitting up cracking jokes. I'm a happy, cheap drunk. I would probably spill the secrets of the Western world if asked, but I don't think those guys have time. They want to put me under without a freak show and get me safely through to the other side without issue. [emoji3]
You'll do just fine!

LOL. You are hilarious! Thank you for the reassurance. I’m psyched now! [emoji847]

I woke up from a gallbladder surgery and hit on the transport tech in my 20s. How do I know this? I was a student nurse with a rotation the next week in the same OR . But even if you are goofy, the staff just smiles and never says a word (except to tease the student).

For my VSG, the staff was awesome, calming, supportive. I woke in recovery and don't recall a thing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I woke up from a gallbladder surgery and hit on the transport tech in my 20s. How do I know this? I was a student nurse with a rotation the next week in the same OR [emoji23]. But even if you are goofy, the staff just smiles and never says a word (except to tease the student).

For my VSG, the staff was awesome, calming, supportive. I woke in recovery and don't recall a thing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Lol! Totally sounds like it could be me. Thanks for the reassurance!

I've been knocked out for surgery a few times now... every time, I remember getting wheeled back to the ER, the nurse telling me she just gave me something - and that's it. No count down from 10, no nothing. After surgery was pretty uneventful too.

I think the meds really just amplify your personality - I'm pretty quiet. If you're the star of the show unmedicated, you might just go full Eddie Murphy :-). Either way, I agree that the staff is used to it and just goes about doing their job.

My son when he had his colonoscopy woke up apologizing to the nurses and was still apologizing when her returned to the ambulatory section. To,this day neither of us know what he was apologizing for.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I had surgery around 10:30am, and I don't remember anything before 2:30 or 3 in the adternoon. I had pretty bad nausea and vomitting for the first 36 hours. They had me rotating through reglan, zofran, and Benadryl.

I don't remember saying any crazy stuff, but IDK if I woke up at 2:30, or if I was up embarrassing myself for some time that I just can't remember.

ETA: also, I had my husband wait at home since we live close, and I'm really glad I did. He was called when my surgery was done, but they asked him to wait until 4:30 or 5 to come. I would've felt bad if he had been waiting there that whole time.

Edited by JitterbugPerfume
ETA

No problem going under, woke up nauseous and whiny but otherwise fine. I've been under twice and both times I've had weird work-stress dream transitions: the first time I think I was aware I could hear before I opened my eyes, and so for some reason thought I was on a conference call presenting a Powerpoint deck to my client. The second time I thought I was presenting a weight loss surgery tutorial in a meeting room, and then somehow I got sucked into the projected slide and became the subject of the surgery on the slide, and then woke up within the slide (which was when I was waking up in recovery), so that was extremely disorienting.

Didn't freak out either time, but it's weird to think how your mind pieces together scrambled bits of sensory input and tries to place it in context.

I always sing a Ramon’s song while I’m being wheeled back for surgery. [emoji443] 20, 20, 24 hours ago, I wanna be sedated![emoji981]

Toodles,
Rue