Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m 10 days post op from gastric bypass. I feel like things are probably going to well. Maybe my struggles will just come later 😬 anyway I was a avid coffee drinker before surgery. My go to drink a 12oz iced sf white chocolate mocha with almond milk. And I am dying for one. I see so many people who drink coffee straight away so just looking for opinions. Though I know a lot of people are more make it at home and a splash of Creamer. I can do that kind of coffee just really craving the coffee stand. I haven’t had almond milk since surgery. But I go back to work next week and I wanted to try it before then to see how my body does with it. Is that a good idea or should I steer clear.

I’m 10 days post op from gastric bypass. I feel like things are probably going to well. Maybe my struggles will just come later [emoji51] anyway I was a avid coffee drinker before surgery. My go to drink a 12oz iced sf white chocolate mocha with almond milk. And I am dying for one. I see so many people who drink coffee straight away so just looking for opinions. Though I know a lot of people are more make it at home and a splash of creamer. I can do that kind of coffee just really craving the coffee stand. I haven’t had almond milk since surgery. But I go back to work next week and I wanted to try it before then to see how my body does with it. Is that a good idea or should I steer clear.

Is it on your plan to have whenever it is to try it ?

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

It's a great idea to follow your plan. Not follow what others may have done. I'm allowed it on my plan 5 months post. I used to drink so much coffee now I don't have it. Makes me very anxious never did before. And shaky

as far as straight coffee, surgeons seem to be all over the board on this. Some of us can drink it right away, some can never drink it again, some can drink it once they're a few months out, some can drink it in limited amounts (1-2 cups a day). But I'm talking plain coffee. A white chocolate mocha doesn't sound like it would be something on most people's plans, though. As far as the almond milk part though, yes - a lot of people drink the unsweetened version of almond milk. If your plan allows coffee at this point (some do, some don't) and you made it with sugar free white chocolate Syrup and unsweetened almond milk, then maybe (but I'd ask first), but the kind at a coffee shop, I don't know. I gave up on those long ago.

Okay thanks for the input guys. I have my appt in two days so I will steer clear until I get an official okay. I feel really under prepared my surgeon and dietician didn’t go over much with me at all. My dietician said I could have coffee after two weeks. Other then that, that’s all the info I got. I got a sheet of paper that says when I start introducing each new food texture. Wasn’t told what types wasn’t told much of anything. So I kinda base it off of what other people are doing during each step.

My team was fine with black coffee with stevia within days of surgery, but we discussed it. I drink tons of coffee and knew not having it for weeks would kill me. So, ask your team. One of my favorite breakfasts is still 8 ounces of cold coffee, a scoop of caramel Protein Powder, a couple of squirts of Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup and ice. Into the blender and ta-da - caramel frappucino Protein Shake.

17 hours ago, Paityn said:

I’m 10 days post op from gastric bypass. I feel like things are probably going to well. Maybe my struggles will just come later 😬 anyway I was a avid coffee drinker before surgery. My go to drink a 12oz iced sf white chocolate mocha with almond milk. And I am dying for one. I see so many people who drink coffee straight away so just looking for opinions. Though I know a lot of people are more make it at home and a splash of creamer. I can do that kind of coffee just really craving the coffee stand. I haven’t had almond milk since surgery. But I go back to work next week and I wanted to try it before then to see how my body does with it. Is that a good idea or should I steer clear.

I was drinking coffee by day 4. I used my Protein Drink as creamer and Stevia as sweetener. Try the Premier Protein pre made shakes as coffee creamer, you can make it banana, vanilla, chocolate,caramel flavor with these. But try and avoid those fake sugar ridden sweeteners you're used to with the old style of coffee.

also take it slow with the coffee, it will effect you a lot right after surgery...Like youll be wired for 2 days straight..

Oh, but too much coffee will give you killer heartburn sometimes...Pace yourself..

Okay thanks for the input guys. I have my appt in two days so I will steer clear until I get an official okay. I feel really under prepared my surgeon and dietician didn’t go over much with me at all. My dietician said I could have coffee after two weeks. Other then that, that’s all the info I got. I got a sheet of paper that says when I start introducing each new food texture. Wasn’t told what types wasn’t told much of anything. So I kinda base it off of what other people are doing during each step.

You should ask more questions and for a clearer picture as some people's plans call for solids in the first week which I wouldn't unless on my plan. So best to ask them for more info.

The RD said I will get Decaf black coffee on my first tray!

I've been practicing and highly endorse @JerseyJules suggestion of Protein drink as coffee creamer! LURVE it! Also love @Diana_in_Philly frappuccino recipe!

Make sure you get cleared before you try it. My nutritionist advised that for every cup of coffee you drink - you should have 2 cups of Water to compensate for it. Unless you drink Decaf, then it counts as water intake.

Personally I love coffee. Over the past few years, I have gotten into roasting it myself from the green Beans, and then exploring all of the different ways of brewing it and enjoying it. I love the ceremony of it, as well as the flavors.

Coffee is as diverse as wine, if not more so. People who do not drink fresh roasted coffee have no point of reference to this - the same as I did. The first time I had fresh roasted coffee that was properly prepared, it changed my life. I used to be 2-3 flavored Creamers and some sugar in my coffee, to just going with the creamers when I tried to "cut back" on the sugar. Once I switched to fresh roasted - I wouldn't dare pollute my coffee with anything!

Just a thought, if you really do like coffee - and not the mocha frappa crappa stuff they add to coffee - then do yourself a favor and find a local coffee roaster and check them out.

If you like the mocha frappa crappa - then why not just throw it in a Protein Shake instead? Coffee just sounds like the excuse to get all the sugar crap down your throat.

Sorry to be harsh.

I'm almost three months out, and I drink a Decaf coffee with a little half and half almost every day. I have decided to stay off caffeine indefinitely . . . I went through MAJOR withdrawals when I gave up soda, and I don't want to do that again. I'd encourage you to check the nutrition info on the drink you like just to make sure there aren't hidden calories/sugar . . . some of those drinks are crazy bad for you! :)

Thanks for the input everyone. I got the okay from my dietitian and he said it was fine to have coffee. I drink mine with almond milk and sugar free flavorings. So I have gotten a couple 10 oz cups but I've found I have only been able to drink a few sips. It doesn't make me sick or anything or even full. I just get kinda paranoid that it may if I drink to much. I just went to the store and got unsweetened cold brew and some sugar free Creamers to make my own at home that way I am not wasting money.

My bariatric surgeon recommended no coffee for 3 months post-WLS to minimize risk of an ulcer after gastric bypass and then to limit it to Decaf for up to 6 months. I followed this approach and did well.