Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quick few notes:

Surgery: gastric bypass

Surgery date: 10/31/2017

Highest weight: 388

Pre op weight: 344

Today's weight: 287

I am following the post op diet and losing weight successfully. But I regret this surgery every day. Multiple times a day. I was so blinded by "wanting to lose weight" that I sought out a surgeon and allowed him to mutilate my body to take away my ability to choose food, portion and how I live. My surgery was successful with only 1 post op complication. Its not even about the complication. I am mourning the loss of my ability to choose what and how much I eat.

Anyone considering any WLS surgery... don't do it. Find another way to transform yourself. No matter what you say today, no one will be able to tell you how you will feel losing your ability to choose.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 on T-Mobile

It's ironic you posted this because I am currently moaning about the nausea I am feeling right now after eating fish. I don't know that I regret the surgery because I couldn't do it any other way, but I am struggling with the food choices I have. I certainly don't enjoy food anymore, nor do I look forward to eating. It's only been six weeks, and I hope it gets better (for the both of us).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using BariatricPal mobile app

Hang in there. I am trying to as well. I just completed 5 weeks post op (as of today) so I am trying one new solid every couple of days. I am looking forward to chicken fingers or boneless wings in a week or two.

Quick few notes:
I am following the post op diet and losing weight successfully. But I regret this surgery every day. Multiple times a day. I was so blinded by "wanting to lose weight" that I sought out a surgeon and allowed him to mutilate my body to take away my ability to choose food, portion and how I live. My surgery was successful with only 1 post op complication. Its not even about the complication. I am mourning the loss of my ability to choose what and how much I eat.
Anyone considering any WLS surgery... don't do it. Find another way to transform yourself. No matter what you say today, no one will be able to tell you how you will feel losing your ability to choose.

With all do respect. It's fine for you to regret it
But telling others not to do it who could be one step away from a heart attack?

Anyway
Most people regret it at first. When your able to eat normal food about 6 weeks in and you start to see the results most of us stop regretting it.

I haven't lost my ability to choose anything so speak for your self.im four months post and love eating and many people don't regret it.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

It's ironic you posted this because I am currently moaning about the nausea I am feeling right now after eating fish. I don't know that I regret the surgery because I couldn't do it any other way, but I am struggling with the food choices I have. I certainly don't enjoy food anymore, nor do I look forward to eating. It's only been six weeks, and I hope it gets better (for the both of us).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using BariatricPal mobile app

I didn't enjoy eating till 3 months post.

Wow your disgustingly rude. I offered advice too. You deserve how you feel with that attitude. Bye.

Please agree to disagree. Name calling will never be tolerated here.

Reminder to please read the rules you agreed to upon signing up:

https://www.bariatricpal.com/guidelines/

You guys are fresh out of surgery. Give it time and you will feel better. Slowly introduce different food items back in your diet. Do not discourage other peoples decisions just because you are feeling the way you do. A lot of pre op patients come here for support and guidance. I should know I was one of them. I am a year post op today and wls was one of the best decisions I have made. To each their own I say
Good luck and happy holidays.

Sent from my SM-G920P using BariatricPal mobile app

Edit - the comment I made was in response to a comment that has now been deleted hence why my comment makes no sense.

I am very glad my insurance company required me to see a psychologist for evaluation before surgery. It is very important to be mentally ready for weight loss surgery. People rush into the procedure looking at the final results and not understanding that it is still a battle along the way. I have been very fortunate not to have any issues. I am 3 months post op as of today and eat what ever I want. I have noticed that I prefer not to eat beef any more, hot dogs make me a little nauseous but I can accept not eating them anymore. Portion size is what made me obese to begin with so I am happy I don't have the ability to choose to eat more than I need. I choose to stay away from bread, Pasta and Potatoes for the most part to make sure my diabetes stays gone and also to assist in the weight loss.

I am very happy I had the surgery and would do it again, it was worth it.

9 hours ago, dp0970 said:

Quick few notes:

No one should go into any surgery blind. Researching, educating yourself and a psych eval will benefit anyone considering bariatrics.

I'm three years out and no regrets. I have not lost my ability to choose what I eat. I can eat anything but, to stay successful I choose to eat healthy.

I hope things get easier for you. Your feelings are justified but think of the bigger picture! You'll be able to do more than just eat. food isn't everything. You got this!

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

No one should go into any surgery blind. Researching, educating yourself and a psych eval will benefit anyone considering bariatrics.
I'm three years out and no regrets. I have not lost my ability to choose what I eat. I can eat anything but, to stay successful I choose to eat healthy.

I had a psych eval 2 months before surgery. It was a requirement of my surgeon, even though my *** did not have a requirement for one. I wish I had multiple sessions or possibly a different doctor for the evaluation. I still believe that no matter how ready you tell yourself that you are, you do not know how you will feel on the other side.

Thank you to everyone who replied. I will continue to share my opinion to anyone who asks.

My surgeon shut me down for a reversal last week which broke my heart. So the only option is to move forward with my new anatomy and accept it. I will keep striving to see the bigger picture. It isn't easy so thank you (most of you) for your positive energy and support.

Hang in there. Hopefully it will get better.