Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to sleeve revision in 2 surgeries. Is this normal? Anyone else experience this?

i had the lapband Nov 2010. I absolutely hated it. Initially I did alright ( lost 40 lbs) with it but over time I was vomiting almost daily and the weight slowly creeped back on. About a month ago I had all the Fluid removed and had some tests done. Luckily there's no damage but my stomach is irritated/inflamed. And I'm now hungry ALL THE TIME! I have initiated the revision process, but I had no idea that it was going to be done in 2 stages. 1st is the band removal with a 3 month recovery time, then the sleeve. I was under the impression that it could all be done at once but my surgeon doesn't do that. Has anyone else gone through this as well? How was recovery from the band removal and how was your experience between removal and revision? Just a little overwhelmed with everything. I was so hopeful to have both done at once but it looks like my surgeon will not do both at the same time. I'm bummed to say the least.

Edited by J_Mkay

I had two separate surgeries too. My stomach was far too inflamed when the band was removed to do anything else to it. I had not been able to swallow much at all. Yes, when I swallowed the stuff for a flouroscope, it stopped at the band. And that was AFTER the band was deflated. Between then and the band removal, even Water hurt. I survived mostly on soft ice until at least 3 pm when I was able to eat a bit, generally baked potato. Make sure you do the revision to sleeve as soon as possible. I was delayed by a layoff and some other health problems so that had already gained back all the weight I had lost.

Oh my! I'm so sorry you've had such terrible issues! Fortunately once the Fluid was taken out of my band I was able to eat and drink normally again. I plan on getting this moving as quickly as possible because my appetite since my band was completely unfilled has been insatiable!! My dr put in a request for band removal in to my insurance today so hopefully I will hear something back soon. I just wish my surgeon wouldn't do the removal and revision at the same time.

I am in the process right now waiting to hear from insurance to have the sleeve. November 27th I had my lap band taken out along with a bunch of scar tissue and a hernia repaired. My surgeon believes he can do it in 6 weeks.

Wow! That would be quick! I'm hoping that once the surgery to remove my band occurs ( once I get approval for that too) that by the time I'm healed up I will have Been approved by my insurance for revision. Best of luck to you!!

Edited by J_Mkay

I went band (2010 or was it 2011, I have crap memory) to SIPS DS on 8/8/17 (this date I remember!) in one outpatient surgery.

I think it all depends on your surgeon. I asked mine if we were going to have to do it in two surgeries and prior to even seeing what’s going on inside my surgeon was pretty certain he could do it in one. For that I’m thankful, since I now know I’m a slow healer and my skin doesn’t like the sutures, glue or bandages that were used.

I saw the PA at my surgeons office today and she told me I wouldn't be done at the same time, however their website say she that if the circumstances are right and he thinks he can do it at the same time he will. I'm just confused and a little frustrated. I just want this thing out and a revision, and if it can be done all in one surgery I really really want that. I'm just so tired of this thing.

I was banded in October or November 2010, and lost about 80 pounds. By 2012 I'd had all the Fluid removed due to regurg, pain, etc., even with minimal fills. Even with the band unfilled, foods still got stuck and some things were completely off limits. I just dealt with it for a few years, ignoring the problem. Earlier this year, I finally decided to do something about it and saw a bariatric surgeon here in Minneapolis (my band was placed in Omaha). In June of this year, I had a barium swallow xray done, and I was diagnosed with esophageal dismotility, a complication of the band. So, the band needed to come out. (For anyone reading this curious about the insurance approval process, I have Blue Cross Blue Shield and it was pretty straightforward, I just had to show proof of getting fills done (got my records from my old surgeon's office) and proof of a complication (the barium swallow showing dismotility).) I had the band out in August, and will be sleeved on December 7, in just 2 days. My surgeon does the revision in two different procedures because she feels there are fewer complications this way. Though there are other surgeons in the same group who do the revision in the same procedure. Waiting in between is not exactly easy on the pocket book (though I would have hit my out of pocket max either way), and my sick time at work has really taken a hit, but I understand the reasoning.

Looking back on it, I'm really glad I've had the time between getting the band out and getting sleeved. I've had time to unlearn all the unhealthy habits I developed while dealing with my failed band. (And yes, I realize the failure was likely partly my responsibility, too, for anyone looking to jump all over me for that one.) I had to sip with my meals to get food past the band, and I definitely wasn't getting enough Protein because that was likely to stick, too. Basically, I've had time to practice the "way of the sleeve" to replace the "way of the failed band".

Between the band and the sleeve, I also have been hungry. My stomach hasn't rumbled this hard in years! (Maybe because it couldn't physically do so?) Protein Shakes have helped, and paying attention to whether or not I'm actually hungry (or have any right to be based on what I've already eaten) or if it's just mental "hunger" have kept me from gaining weight. I've actually lost about 20 pounds now, and not just from the liquid diet I'm on before surgery.

While it's frustrating to have to do two procedures, I hope you find the time in between helpful.

Good luck! Wishing you the best.

Hi j ,
I had my band removed in September, my recovery was very good no issues at all I went back to work a week later but had a little bit of shoulder pain other then that all good But I would recommend taking a week and a half off.
My gastric sleeve Will be on 13 December 2017 just starting to get excited and nervous and I’ll let you know how I go I think it’s worth it even though it’s hard to have two operations it will be worth it in the end my sister had the sleeve done she’s lost 27 kg in about four months and she wasnt that big the begin with

HI, I had my band removed Sept 5, 2017. I thought too initially that it would be removed and they would sleeve me the same day. I was wrong. Last Tuesday, Dec. 5, I was sleeved and so I am like 4-5 days post op. I actually was glad after they removed the band to have a little time to enjoy food again. I had my band for 12 years and with that I had 12 years of reflux, getting food stuck and throwing up. Yes I did gain a little weight during that time but the feeling of not being sick when I ate was indescribable. So I did not care at all. The first day post op this week was a little rough but I am doing well and walking a lot. You will do great and it will be well worth it when its done. Jennifer

Thank you all for the supportive words antelling me about your experiences. It makes me feel a lot better. I still wish I could have it all done at once but I do feel more at ease about having it done in 2 stages. I think I may more worried about the in between phase. I have already gained 5 pound sterling since they took all the Fluid out. It's been the first time in several years that I have been able to eat without throwing up due to food getting stuck. . I just don think want to keep gaining but i ask hate this feeling of insatiable hunger that's I have. It's terrible!

I did it in two surgeries. I gained about 25 pounds in between. Only been 10 days but feeling ok. I wanted it done in one surgery but my surgeon wouldn’t do it.

I am in the process right now waiting to hear from insurance to have the sleeve. November 27th I had my lap band taken out along with a bunch of scar tissue and a hernia repaired. My surgeon believes he can do it in 6 weeks.

So my sleeve will be February 23. My surgeon decided he wanted to wait 3 months. So lap band out Nov 27 and sleeve February 23! It seems that 3 months in between is becoming the standard. They told me they wanted to wait 3 months so there is less complications.

I had my band to sleeve revision in two stages, 3 months apart. I did gain a little weight between the surgeries -- about 5lbs. You do need to keep an eye on things, especially after years and years of not being able to eat normal food (hello, bread and veggies) but gaining weight isn't inevitable.

in retrospect, i was really glad to have the 3 month period between surgeries to really get my head in the game for the sleeve surgery. it is harder for revision patients to lose weight with the sleeve (not impossible, just harder due to our pouch usually being slighly bigger than a virgin sleever due to scar tissue). use the time to start and exercise routine, learn to meal prep and track what you are eating, etc.

for context: i lost around 60lbs (ended up around 175) with the band and gained it all back within a year. from year 1 until year 9, i gained another 35lbs. i'm just shy of 9 months post-op with the sleeve, down just shy of 130 lbs and within 6lbs of my goal. My BMI this AM was 25.1 -- just .1% until I hit a "normal" weight.

Wow that's amazing! Yeah I'm already fighting weight gain but it's so hard because since I no where have no Fluid in my band everything goes through and I'm hungry all the time!! I have to control myself...especiallly since I'm able to eat EVERYTHING with no restriction. I just want this out and revised to be 100% on track with my weight loss goals. Being hungry all the time I still terrible! I really hope I have similar success as you have had!!!

Edited by J_Mkay