Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

I am 3 weeks post off and am feeling pretty good. The one problem I am having is a very bad taste in my mouth coupled with nausea. So eating has been very hard. Even looking at the pureed food list makes me want to gag. I kind of have been doing my own thing - per say - eating slow, chewing very well etc. But using my own foods. So far nothing has bothered me at all. I guess my question is - I am not ruining anything inside am I? I don't have any pain.

1 minute ago, MereBear23 said:

Hello everyone,

I am 3 weeks post off and am feeling pretty good. The one problem I am having is a very bad taste in my mouth coupled with nausea. So eating has been very hard. Even looking at the pureed food list makes me want to gag. I kind of have been doing my own thing - per say - eating slow, chewing very well etc. But using my own foods. So far nothing has bothered me at all. I guess my question is - I am not ruining anything inside am I? I don't have any pain.

My surgeon said to do what feels ok. If it isn’t bothering you, then it should be fine! Nothing has bothered me yet, but I have not tried soft foods yet, only purée. Might try eggs today!

Feel good! 😊

Thank you! I haven't been going crazy like eating steak and seafood but man - the taste I have in my mouth. BLEH.

Thanks for the response! Hope you feel good too!

3 minutes ago, MereBear23 said:

Thank you! I haven't been going crazy like eating steak and seafood but man - the taste I have in my mouth. BLEH.

I have that taste too... don’t know what that is. My husband asked me ‘did u brush ur teeth’? 😂😂😂

It doesn’t make me nauseous though. Hang in there! We are getting healthy! 👍🏻

I have that taste too... don’t know what that is. My husband asked me ‘did u brush ur teeth’? 😂😂😂

From what I understand, when you aren't eating carbs your body burns ketones, and this is known to cause bad breath/bad taste in the mouth.

Good Luck!! I am over 4 years out and my sense of smell and taste has been bad!! It has been better now but I taste a metal in my mouth and my smell is over the top. I loved onions and garlic before my RNY, I just now can handle it. I have always had a good sense of smell, but it is over above anything before. I live in a Mobile home park, and we have a lot of smokers around us. I can smell the cigarettes all of the time!! I was a smoker and have quit 4 times!! I had quit for 20years and went back to smoking!! Quit this last time with Chantex and I HATE cigarettes now. I will never ever go back to smoking. I use to crave cigarettes at certain times, but....I have no desire at all now. Thank Goodness

@shedo82773 I know that's most likely ketone breath, but just wondered, have your mineral levels been checked by bloodwork or hair samples? Maybe you're too high in something like copper or zinc or something?

Congrats on getting the smokin' monkey off your back for evs!!!

FluffyChix, I haven't had any other blood work besides the usual ones. I can list them and maybe you can tell who knows. LOL This is what my Bariatric Dr ordered: HEMOGRAM, CMP, B-12, VIT D(Hydroxy) THIAMINB1 (whole) FERRITIN LEVEL PTH, FOLATE. All my tests have come back great, in fact, my VIT B I had to cut back on because it was high. LOL , In fact, I just went to the Dr today and she was pretty impressed. All except my liver enzymes. She said I have the non-acholic fatty liver disease. Which strikes me as kind of funny because even my Bariatric Dr never mentioned it before. Maybe it's my nuts. LOL I wonder how hard it would be to get my DR to do some more tests? BTW Miz Fluffy I don't think it is Keto breath because I don't do the diet. I tried to do it and the lady that set us up said the recipes were included and if we did all of our prep for the week it would really help. Well, she set up my Micros etc but you see I am at my goal weight and wanted to help my hubby, I do not like many leftovers per say and the stuff she gave us recipes for I couldn't even stand the smell of them. Hubby did give it a try but the food wasn't to his liking either. Wham to our checkbook AGAIN. LOL

Gosh, I would so get your internist and surgeon involved @shedo82773!! ((hugs))

" Furthermore, patients who are zinc deficient may experience a metallic taste in their mouths and Hair loss on the arms, legs, and groin area. "

I found this about zinc deficiency causing a metallic taste, but it's tricky to treat. http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/111412p50.shtml

Oh My Goodness MizFluffy, you won't believe this...I don't have any hair under my pits ever!! Leg's not a, even my bits don't have much since my WLS!!! I just thought it was a bonus!! LOL Never never would believe this. Thank you