Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ESG Progress Updates For Accountability



Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, hope4momof4 said:

Dear ESG family,

My post will have to be short. I lost my mother on January 1, 2018. She was the light of my life and my children’s life. I miss her so much that it hurts. We were together almost everyday and now she’s gone. If your moms are still with you please take the best care of them you possibly can because you never know when you won’t have them around anymore. I’m sorry but it’s too painful to talk about now. I will try to update in a few days.

Hope4,

I'm so sorry for your loss, deepest condolences. xo

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone- Thought I would check in.

Not much happening on my end. My holiday went fine - did not really have any issues. We went to my mother's, and I was involved in the menu planning. So turkey and roasted veggies was dinner. Plus brought some shakes for the day.

My biggest challenge is getting my ass in gear to work out. I am getting on the treadmill but not really pushing myself. tomorrow I will be returning to my bi-weekly boxing training, so I will have someone pushing me, which is good. Altho I am dreading it. It's been months since I've been there.

The weight loss has slowed down to a crawl so now it's important to move. I'm down 21lbs and not unhappy about it, but hard to see the scale not move like it used to.

That's about it from snowy NJ.

AmyA

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hope4momof4 said:

Dear ESG family,

My post will have to be short. I lost my mother on January 1, 2018. She was the light of my life and my children’s life. I miss her so much that it hurts. We were together almost everyday and now she’s gone. If your moms are still with you please take the best care of them you possibly can because you never know when you won’t have them around anymore. I’m sorry but it’s too painful to talk about now. I will try to update in a few days.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Please take care and know that we are all thinking of you at this devastating time xo

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope4momof4, so sorry to hear about the loss of your mom, I hope her passing was peaceful. Great advice for the rest of us with mom's still here. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, I hope you can find solace in the time and experiences you had together and her impact on the life's around you. Take care!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2018 at 9:27 PM, Melesg said:

It's been very quiet here - I will break the ice by saying that I gained over over the Christmas week but have lost that plus another .5kg. I have been following a keto diet since Jan 1st to get into ketosis ASAP to start getting some weight off again. I am now in ketosis thankfully and while it's Water weight that has been lost, knowing I am running on fat now is a great feeling. I loved the ketosis zone during pre and post esg - I think it has made the biggest difference in my weight loss. It's to thank for the quick weight loss at the start.

I will add a piece of fruit a day down the track but will try stay on very low carb for as long as possible. The dietician has worded me up in the past regarding how fibre cancels out carbs and has a more moderate approach to carbs. I am looking forward to checking in with her again next week.

Ok - now it's time for your accountability update. Remember, we are all friends here and will offer nothing but support if you have gained over the past few weeks.

Mel

Mel, great post, I am also working on staying in ketosis. It's not easy, but I still have a long way to go (>50 pounds) for my goal and need the help of Ketosis. It was a good holidays for me health wise, no sweets, no drinks, only once or twice ate a bit too much food, but generally stuck to my eating patterns. Continuing to lose 2+ pounds/week.

I'm back for 6 week check in with Dr on Tuesday and am down a total of 26 lbs since my ESG procedure. Walking more and more and will start to introduce the gym work again after doctor's appointment. Hope all can have a healthy 2018!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/01/2018 at 8:47 AM, Tex Slim 66 said:

Mel, great post, I am also working on staying in ketosis. It's not easy, but I still have a long way to go (>50 pounds) for my goal and need the help of Ketosis. It was a good holidays for me health wise, no sweets, no drinks, only once or twice ate a bit too much food, but generally stuck to my eating patterns. Continuing to lose 2+ pounds/week.

I'm back for 6 week check in with Dr on Tuesday and am down a total of 26 lbs since my ESG procedure. Walking more and more and will start to introduce the gym work again after doctor's appointment. Hope all can have a healthy 2018!

Well done Tex, you have lost a lot of weight quickly. You have been very dedicated to your plan and it shows. Keep up the great work. Mel.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello my ESG family. First of all I would like to sincerely thank Tex, Mel, and Amy for the sweetest condolences on my mother’s death. Your words, prayers, and thoughts truly meant the world to me.

It has been two weeks now since my mom passed and I’m trying to cope with this devastating loss. So as you may have guessed— healthy eating was not a priority. However, I’ve managed to keep my weight under reasonable control considering the circumstances. It is something that I must know put as a priority in my life. My mother was very ill and unfortunately her weight ,bad eating habits, and lack of exercise contributed to the worsening of her condition as the years went by. I don’t want to go through what she did. Her quality of life in the last few years was horrible. She had no energy to go out and enjoy life. She needed constant help and care. I do miss her tremendously but I know that she in now in a better place. She didn’t want to live the way that she did. Her last hospitalization was painful to watch. She was basically kept alive by the machines attached to her. If she had survived that last hospital stay I am positive she would have needed a 24 hour nurse or something to get by. I know she didn’t want to live that way.

I’m still grieving her loss but it has in a strange way made me more determined to get my weight issue taken care of. I am going forward with my scheduled esg on February 6. I think now more than ever I have to take care of my health. I’m sure my mother would have wanted it that way.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Hope4Momof4..

I have been thinking about you and glad to see you post today.

It's always so hard to say anything that seems to make a difference when someone loses someone they love.

The loss of your mom could have taken you down a dark path, but it looks like you've guided yourself to a good place, and found some strong, positive energy towards your goal - one that was, a short time ago, causing you a bit of hesitation.

Sending a lot of good thoughts and wishes your way. We're with you all the way!

AmyA

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, AmyAlexis said:

Edited by hope4momof4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, AmyAlexis said:

Hi Hope4Momof4..

I have been thinking about you and glad to see you post today.

It's always so hard to say anything that seems to make a difference when someone loses someone they love.

The loss of your mom could have taken you down a dark path, but it looks like you've guided yourself to a good place, and found some strong, positive energy towards your goal - one that was, a short time ago, causing you a bit of hesitation.

Sending a lot of good thoughts and wishes your way. We're with you all the way!

AmyA

Thanks Amy. I’m going to need you guys now more than ever!!💝💝

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/01/2018 at 4:39 AM, hope4momof4 said:

Hello my ESG family. First of all I would like to sincerely thank Tex, Mel, and Amy for the sweetest condolences on my mother’s death. Your words, prayers, and thoughts truly meant the world to me.

It has been two weeks now since my mom passed and I’m trying to cope with this devastating loss. So as you may have guessed— healthy eating was not a priority. However, I’ve managed to keep my weight under reasonable control considering the circumstances. It is something that I must know put as a priority in my life. My mother was very ill and unfortunately her weight ,bad eating habits, and lack of exercise contributed to the worsening of her condition as the years went by. I don’t want to go through what she did. Her quality of life in the last few years was horrible. She had no energy to go out and enjoy life. She needed constant help and care. I do miss her tremendously but I know that she in now in a better place. She didn’t want to live the way that she did. Her last hospitalization was painful to watch. She was basically kept alive by the machines attached to her. If she had survived that last hospital stay I am positive she would have needed a 24 hour nurse or something to get by. I know she didn’t want to live that way.

I’m still grieving her loss but it has in a strange way made me more determined to get my weight issue taken care of. I am going forward with my scheduled esg on February 6. I think now more than ever I have to take care of my health. I’m sure my mother would have wanted it that way.

Such a wonderful perspective from a very sad time. So positive to hear you are celebrating your mum by committing to your own health. I hope you are continuing to feel our love and support ❤️

How is the pre procedure food plan going? I'm guessing that you are getting close to lots of shakes and nor too much else?

Mel x

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Mel, to be honest my eating habits have been horrible. I could use the excuse of my mother’s death but that would be irresponsible. I know I need to buckle down and get started with a sensible meal plan and then transition to shakes. My doctor told me that I only needed to be on shakes for about a week before and liquids only 2 days before my procedure. I did schedule another consult with him for February 1st to make sure I’m clear on his instructions and am following the preop plan.

Thanks for the support and encouragement. I’m doing my best to channel that emotion (grief) into something positive. I’m trying to get prepared and focus on myself. My mother was my biggest cheerleader. I guess she’ll be cheering me on from heaven now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey hope4momof4, you will get there. I had a "bad eating" trend too several weeks before my procedure (go real excuse or reason for this) and added 10+lbs. before finally got it under control. I had the same diet before procedure (2 days liquids). ESG and days after went smoothly and now I'm down 30 lbs in 2 months! Keep the faith and believe in yourself, there is a healthier happier you just waiting to be uncovered. Keep posting, we'll be with you all the way!

Tex

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s nice to be posting again. Great job Tex. 30 lbs. in two months? That is exactly the rate of weight loss I’ll like to have. It is significant enough to keep you motivated and yet not too drastic that it will put a shock to your system. That is not exactly slow weight loss or extreme weight loss but definitely impressive weight loss. Good for you!!

I also feel encouraged by the fact that you too had an issue eating healthy preop and you still had this much success. I wouldn’t say I’m necessarily gorging but I would say I’m more like not breaking old bad habits. I can’t get out of my bad eating routine. I’m concerned because I need to start a healthy eating routine now and not wait until 2 days before. But it is reassuring that you were able to not do anything too drastic preop and you’re doing fabulous now.

My final real concern is will I really feel restriction. I don’t want to put myself through this and wind up back where I started. Your posts as well as Mel and Amy have made me realize: 1- I can do this and I have to do this for myself now. Now more than ever my mother’s death has brought my health to the forefront of my life. God rest her soul she did occupy a good part of my life but now I can fully focus on myself (of course after I’ve tended to all of my children’s needs lol) 2- This forum will help me get through this as long as we keep posting our experiences 3- It is ok to mess up occasionally because you guys have been successful even while admitting to a few slip ups or minor infractions. As long as we get right back up and move forward.

Thanks all! Looking forward to sharing my journey with you all!

Edited by hope4momof4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hope4momof4, pre-ESG I also had the expectation of "restriction" limiting my eating. It may seem hard to understand however right now the "restriction" is showing itself in a different manner than I expected. Pre ESG I felt like the restriction would be a physical sensation, but as of now I just don't "want" to eat large portions or frequently. Mentally I'm also much more selective (no processed foods, absolute minimum sugar, no alcohol, no caffeine etc.) about what I eat. These choices are driven by the lack of my "cravings" for food and learning from my bad choices what "works" with my new stomach and what foods I need to avoid.

I lost 2lbs/week over Christmas and New year's vacation and while we were traveling one night I decided to "splurge" on sautéed mushrooms, one of my favorite dishes. I did not have a good reaction the next morning, upset stomach and many visits to the toilet, so no more sautéed mushrooms for me.

I'm still experimenting what works, for example, for a Friday night "splurge" tonight I had 2 onion rings tonight with dinner (grilled salmon). In the past if I started eating good onion rings (and these were delicious) there's no way I would have eaten less than 6-8 of them. I loved the flavor this evening but just had no desire to eat more than 2 of them. I'm hopeful all will go well tonight and I don't have to ban small quantities of Onion rings in the future!

The rest of the day I had 2 yogurts (80 cal each) and 2 Premier Protein shakes (180 cal each), so 520 calories for the rest of the day.

The procedure is going to help you a lot and your willingness to be open and committed to changing your life is what will ultimately make you successful!

Keep going and sharing, we can all make this change for the positive!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Surgeons

    1. Masoud Rezvani

      Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

    2. Lisa Medvetz

      Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

  • Recent Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • allwet

      Milestone date for me on this journey. I now weigh the same as the day i got out of boot camp in 1984 and is the least i have ever weighed as an adult.
       
      · 2 replies
      1. Orchids&Dragons

        Wow, congrats!!!

      2. proudgrammy

        great- you will continue to go downward-congrats

    • Mattymatt

      Getting back to work has been really good for me! I am so busy I hardly have time to think about food or eat much and the scale and pants really show. I am either going to need a smaller belt or new jeans. A new belt is cheaper so I'll try this first. My tee shirts hang on me now.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Izzy Bizzy

      Im 4 weeks out now and i still get dizzy a lot, i will be doing the most minimalistic things and suddenly have this rush come over me where i feel week and dizzy. Usually not while I'm working out tho. It will happen on the way home from the gym, or in the shower after the gym. It kind of is just annoying at this point... but I'm down 38 pounds from the hospital and i continue to lose weight every day, weather it be .1 pound or 5 pounds in a day progress is progress. It has also been tough because it is summer and it is the summer before my senior year, i want to be out with my friends and go to parties that they are having but for the first two weeks i was kept at my parents side and they only let me go to a birthday party last week for the first time, i feel like i haven't seen my friends as much as I'm used to in the summer, and it kinda sucks, but at the end of the day it was my choice and i hope i made the right one. Im type excited to go back to band camp physically ready, and mentally motivated to push my self more than before. Im excited to do the 3 laps around the band field and not be 5 minutes behind everyone else. I am excited to lose more weight before band starts and i can wear my new boujee workout gear. I am excited to see if anybody notices my weight loss and if it affects my social life once school starts. 
      · 1 reply
      1. Sosewsue61

        Drink a protein drink right after your workout, or get more fluids - dizziness can be from dehydration. Push liquids at all times. Good luck.

    • Izzy Bizzy

      Everyday is a struggle but I'm getting there...  
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Tierra T Tij

      My Body Image Issues:
      07/20/18 Friday
      I am writing this because it seems like no matter how hard I do love myself and have confidence it's like it's hard to believe the words I say and also my old eating disorder/OCD mind tends to take over sometimes and before I know it I'm counting EVERY food that I eat and feeling very fat/freaking out. I'm trying to do my affirmations everyday and fix myself up nice to make myself feel better but it seems like nothing makes me feel better and I go back to either these bad thoughts or I want to self harm to heal myself or randomly yell at people. I get no stress release from my frustrations thus I become even more OCD spend and have other  bad addictions besides OCD'ing on the food I eat like overly exercise until my feet really blister or hurt or over spend on items I think I need to feel a void. I'm tired of putting myself through the ringer but it feels like nothing is never ever enough for me and I'm always searching for answers in the wrong places.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Magazine Articles

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×