Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking Lots of Alcohol

I am a very heavy drinker. I probably drink at least 10 drinks of hard rum or whiskey each evening before bed. I do not drink wine or beer at all.

The last time I went on a diet I did not drink for 40 days so I know I can quit for at least a while. But once the diet was over, I went right back to drinking.

Every site I read says I should not have this surgery if I am drinking.

But what would be the problem if I started drinking lesser amounts a couple months after the surgery? I read that after the surgery I could get drunk faster, so lets say I only drank 4-5 drinks a day. Would that be so bad?

I know there are lots of calories in alcohol and nothing else. This I understand fully. But 5 shots of whiskey would have about 400 useless calories which really is not that much. Once I get down to my desired weight I should eat about 3000 calories so the alcohol is only taking about 12% of my calories.

Or is there something else I should be aware of besides calories?

And please, I am very serious about this and do not want to hear any "go to AA" comments because I enjoy drinking and own a bar so avoiding alcohol is pretty hard.

I am a "former" heavy drinker myself (by the "standards" I fall into that category, up until 2 years ago I drank 1 to 1.5 bottles of wine a night, 24/7/365) You don't want to hear what I am thinking, and I didn't want to hear it. And no, I didn't go to AA. I couldn't abide all the "rah rah" stuff. I just stopped myself. I still can tend to overdo when I drink. I try not to drink except when I am out to eat I will have 2-3 glasses of wine (and I don't drive), so unless I am on vacation that's fairly rare. You are in your 30's and young, but this is going to catch up with you if it has not already, and that is a stone hard fact, no ifs, ands or buts. I did not notice that alcohol affected me any more after the band than before. I can still pack it away....if I wanted to. If you are heavily overweight there is the possibility that is why you are able to consume so much straight alcohol in a sitting and still remain on your feet (though I tend to think you are probably in a fair state pickling 24 hours a day based on the sheer alcohol percentage in your body.) My concern, other than the obvious, would be that if you lose a large amount of body mass and try to consume as you have been you may be facing alcohol poisoning and potential death. Well, anyway...based on your past lifestyle and intent to continue I would highly recommend: make sure you have good backup in the bar whenever you are there, draw up a good will if you haven't already and don't make any long range plans. Sorry I can't be more positive.

If I can go out and get drunk on 2-3 drinks instead of 10, well, I think this is a good thing for my health. I could still get drunk and enjoy life without such bad hangovers and less work for the old liver. The money I save on the booze over a couple of years would pay for the surgery.

I have drank heavily for over 10 years and I am not going to quit now. This is a reality I have learned. I can quit for a couple of months after the surgery but once I am down to a certain weight it will be happy times again!

I do not know what pickling means. But I do not spend my days drunk 24 hours. I start drinking in the late evening until I am happy, then sleep. I then will not drink again until the next evening. If I could have the same effect with 3 drinks I would be one happy camper!

Drinking is effecting my weight so getting drunk on less will also be a good thing. But the big way it effects my weight is I tend to eat a huge Breakfast to fight off the hangovers. I am hoping with the band I will not eat such large breakfasts and also have less of a hangover due to smaller alcohol consumption.

I know the cycle....drink, eat, drink, eat. That's one reason why I ballooned up. Been there, done that. Unfortunately I would venture to guess that you may cut back initially, but will probably ease back up to the current amounts before too long as your body adjusts and old habits set in. The band will not stop you from drinking or drinking heavily because being liquid, it's just gonna roll down your throat. By "pickling" I don't mean that you are soused 24/7. Your body has adjusted to the amounts you give it and compensated to some extent. However, your regular blood alcohol level when you think you are cold sober is probably borderline or more. After a period of chronic alcohol consumption your blood is going to maintain a permanently elevated level of alcohol all the time as long as you keep "feeding it". Just be aware that you are working with a lot LESS territory to inebriate after you lose weight (though I would also think you probably will not lose much weight based on habits). However, because you will be able to eat less, you probably are not going to be able to fend off the hangovers as effectively anymore.

CARTAGENA, I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM AND KACEE I TOTALLY AGREE WITH WHAT YOU ARE SAYING. I TOO ENJOY ALCOHOL BUT DON,T DRINK EVERY DAY. NOR DO I DRINK SPIRITS I LIKE LAGER I HAVE GONE WITHOUT ALCOHOL FOR OVER A YEAR ON A PREVIOUS DIET AND WASN,T BOTHERED BUT I HAVE AN ADDICTIVE PERSONALITY AND WHEN I DO SOMETHING I DO IT ALL OR NOTHING. WHICH WAS GREAT WHEN I WAS SERIOUSLY DIETING BUT HELL WHEN I STOPPED...LOL I TOO WOULD LOVE TO GET A NICE BUZZ OFF JUST A COUPLE OF drinks HENCE KEEPING THE CALORIES LOW AND STILL FEELING NORMAL BUT THOUGH SOME PEOPLE SAY THIS IS TRUE WITH THE BAND MY PROBLEM IS I NEVER STOP AT A COUPLE OF DRINKS!!!

I WOULD HOWERVER LISTEN TO KACEE IF I WERE YOU AS DRINKING SUCH HIGH PER CENT ALCOHOL AND SO MUCH IS GONNA CATCH UP WITH YOU I KNOW MY AUNT DIED AN ALCOHOLIC AND I WOULDN,T WISH IT ON ANYONE. SO I HOPE THAT MAYBE WE WILL GET A BUZZ OFF A SMALL AMOUNT OF ALCOHOL CO,S IT,S GOTTA BE BETTER ALL ROUND TO HAVE EVERYTHING IN MODERATION RIGHT?

TAKE CARE:)

I am not here to preach. I guess I am just confused by your motive to get the lap-band surgery. Is it to lose weight and get healthy or is it to help curb your alcohol consumption?

Have you been approved by a surgeon? I would imagine that surgery would be risky due to the possibility of a fatty liver d/t chronic alcohol consumption and overeating. I am certainly not a doctor...or an alcohol counselor.... Usually when you want to have this surgery, it is to gain an overall healthier lifestyle.

I apologize..I know you do not want to hear any preaching or AA info, I just don't know what you are expecting to get here? Are you looking for affirmation that you will be able to drink less to get drunk? Hmmm-maybe. I just think it seems like a strange reason to have this surgery.

I am interested to see what others will respond. Best wishes to you.

Have you talked with a surgeon yet about lap band surgery for yourself? That would be the time to discuss your current daily levels of drinking and your thoughts that you will be able to significantly reduce the amount of alcohol you drink once you have the lap band. I think the doctors are the people you should be talking to if you want honest answers.

I agree with the suggestion to talk to your banding doctor honestly about your alcohol consumption, and it's affect on being banded.

I was told last week by the psych I'm seeing that when she had even a glass of wine, her weight loss stalled for 3 days(she is banded also). I have been stuck since May, and realized that's when I started having a couple of glasses of wine a week(well, along with other bad habits for weight loss). Not enough calories to be that big an issue, but I stopped a week ago, and I'm down 5 pounds this week. So, I have to think there is something to it.

It is my understanding that the surgery that causes you to get drunk faster is the bypass. I have not read or heard of this effect from the lap band. The reason this happens with the bypass is because they "bypass" the part of the intestine that breaks down the alcohol and puts it directly into the part of the intestine that "absorbs" the alcohol.

I would be surprised if anyone would do the surgery if they knew how much you drank. I know that they have been very careful to check with me about drinking.

I just have to ask why? I think you may have another problem that needs to be addressed before you even decide about surgery. If you can't control your drinking then how do you expect to control eating? The band is a tool that can be manipulated very easily.

I used to be a heavy drinker and smoker. I was definitely pissed drunk a few days a week. I made the decision almost 3 years ago to stop both and eventualy made the decision to loose the weight. I think you need to fix the one before the other. Otherwise you are doomed to fail.

I find all your comments interesting. The fact is I live in South America so the doctors here will do anything if they are paid. I had major cosmetic surgery and just told the doctor I drank less these days. He was only concerned I would quit smoking before the surgery. I did in fact quit smoking for the surgery and did not start back up, and it has been over three years.

Now, my motives for the lap ban are to get thinner because things like sleeping are getting more hard and I am just too fat now. I have no doubt I can cut down on the weight if I eat less. I eat a lot now. If I sit down for a diner I will eat a whole chicken before I feel full. Other people will eat one piece and be fine. So I know if I can get rid of the hunger I will lose. On my last diet I only ate 800 calories a day for 2 months. I lost 35 pounds which is about 1/2 I need to lose.

Besides the booze I eat pretty well. I do not eat any sweets or junk food. So I am thinking with a good diet, some Vitamins and lowering the alcohol to say 5-6 drinks I will be able to balance everything.

I am not expecting the lap ban to help me drink less. I am just thinking this could be an added bonus if I had less tolerance.

My real concerns came out of reading on one web site where the doctor said the person should never drink again. I was like "never" :omg:. Obviously this doctor was one of those anti-alcohol guys since from what the people here on the forum are saying drinking should be ok if it is controlled.

Maybe I have an addictive personality. I have never thought about it too much but when I do something I do it 100%. I have always been that way and I do not think this is a bad thing as I have been very successful in most things.

Maybe I will quit drinking some day, but right now Iam just too bored in the evenings. I do not know what I would replace it with. Other drugs make me feel sick.

I just have to ask why? I think you may have another problem that needs to be addressed before you even decide about surgery. If you can't control your drinking then how do you expect to control eating? The band is a tool that can be manipulated very easily.

I used to be a heavy drinker and smoker. I was definitely pissed drunk a few days a week. I made the decision almost 3 years ago to stop both and eventualy made the decision to loose the weight. I think you need to fix the one before the other. Otherwise you are doomed to fail.

I agree with Chris, I think you'll need to address this issue before considering being banded, because if you don't, you're setting yourself up for failure, because, like he said, the band is a TOOL that can be manipulated very easily.

I hope you do what is right for you and your health. Good luck!

I think it has more to do with the emotional side of the surgery. Reports say that most people who are not emotionally preparded for the surgery will do one of two things. Turn to alcohol or to over eat to ruin their success. I'm not a drinker, but after surgery I have realizrd I did have a eating disorder. It's not easy, it's a work in progress that I battle minute by minute On Discovery TV last Saturday this very thing was discussed. It was agreed by all Dr. that if a person drink over 1 to 2 drinks a day they would not do the surgery. Reason being there was something else going on emotionally, that needed to be fixed before the surgery.

I have one or two glasses of wine before bed to relax.

I cannot imagine having more especially with the band.

Although I did have three once and felt like a Water balloon.

Not a good feeling at all!

Maybe if you try red wine instead of a cocktail.

If you are really serious you will cut down.

I know everything in life is about choices.

I quit smoking three months ago.

Not easy but I wanted to.

I want to reach 135 pounds and look and feel the best that I can!

If it means no more merlot so be it!

My nut says I'm fine.

She has a glass a night herself.

Everything in moderation.

You can do this baby!

I think you may be off on what calories you will be maintaining once at desired weight, unless you are going to be VERY active. 3000 is quite a few calories, much more than necessary. That makes the 400 useless calories from alcohol a larger part of your daily intake. You are fortunate to be able to have this surgery in SA, because not too many dr's here would do it until you have a psych eval where the psychologist would have a field day figuring this out..