Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MedGem Analyzer for metabolic fingerprint (the test where you breath into the tube)

Wondered if anyone else had this test and what you thought of the results? It's standard with my bariatric medical group.

I learned that my body fat percent was much less than it is on a standard height/weight chart due to my muscle mass. Pretty cool!

I also learned that some of my previous diet efforts probably failed because I would tend to eat too few calories and get too hungry.

MedGem analysis put my daily burned calorie load (with minimal exercise) at 2480 calories because I carry a lot of muscle. So I was told to target eating 1500 to 1900 calories per day. It seems like a ton of calories...but if I eat them, and pick quality foods with low glycemic index carbs, lots of Protein and healthy fats...I'll lose weight. (and veggies, of course!) Particularly, if I exercise regularly.

I also learned that I would be at zero percent body fat....at 138 pounds! My goal of 170 pounds is based on carrying 25% body fat...which is pretty healthy.

Not all bodies are built the same. Not all of us are an accurate fit on the height/weight charts. MedGem was a really cool look into my specific metabolic process.

It was just a lot of really interesting information that has helped put me on a better track.

Anyone else familiar with this test?

Sounds like it gives a ton of info! I hadn't heard of it, so thank you for mentioning it.

It's typical as you drop weight, some of it will be from your lean mass. So when you get down around 200lbs, you will want to recheck your numbers because your daily calories burned will go down, and your lean body mass will probably go down. Sometimes people can maintain their lean masses.. but not always.

(Exercise and Protein consumption is how to keep it up).

Awesome advice, berry. I think they talked about repeating the test a couple of months after surgery? I can't remember. I can't remember much of anything since starting this liquid diet. Yeesh. But I bet it's in my folder of info. I know everything changes as you go along and you need to eat fewer calories as your body mass goes down.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Having gall bladder surgery in a few days and I so hope the recovery is easier than the one from the modified DS! I could use a bit of luck/pep talk for a change. I'm starting to be able to walk around without experiencing dizziness, but it would be great if the random pain in my chest and abdomen would go away!!
      · 0 replies
    • Dawn 1974

4/4/2024 - new patient orientation. Wt 313
      4/5/2024 - got all my lab work done.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!