Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bubbles good luck on the consult as well!!

So just an update on my consultation for the ESG procedure. My day started by ordering a Starbucks latte for my hour commute, after paying the cashier, I drove away WITHOUT my latte. What a dope. My appointment was scheduled for 11am in NYC which takes me a little over an hour without traffic. I checked in at 10:45, and waited patiently for two bleepin hours. At this point my caffeine withdrawal is setting in and my tummy is A rumbling. The doctor was pleasant and I didn't feel rushed. She informed me that they had me scheduled for a 5 minute follow up appointment today. Fortunately, the doctor honored my consultation, and spent plenty of time with me. After my consultation, she gave me a Pre-Op Evaluation form. I will attach a picture of it below. I was able to complete my bloodwork at the office today, I figured what's another hour.

They weighed me, which I have been dreading. I have gained 20 pounds over the last 8 weeks. So my official start weight is ..... 194lbs.

Dr. Sharaiha asked that besides the bloodwork and H-Pylori test, that I meet with a nutritionist. While I was waiting to get my blood drawn, I scheduled an appointment with the Nutritionist (December 15th) . I attempted to schedule a surgery date but was denied. She said I could not schedule an appointment for surgery until the meeting with nutritionist was complete. I wonder if it's because when she asked me what I had for Breakfast, I frankly replied, "a cupcake" and when she laughed, I said, "well since I'm being honest, I had two". Maybe it was a red flag that I have an eating disorder...yikes. I just assumed the majority of overweight people eat disorderly....

Dr. Sharaiha reported that they have 4 years worth of data in the US to measure results. She stated that the US has been doing the procedure the longest. I assume she does not equate the ESG to the similar procedure performed in other countries. She reported that most people do not need revisions. She compared the ESG revision to that of the lap-band. She said that some individuals needed a little tightening to increase their restriction. She warned against relying on possibility of future tightening as a crutch to possible slack.. She reported that in over 200 ESG procedures she has performed, she has revised(tightened) very few.

She reported that the average amount of ESG's lost 19% of their total body weight compared to 30% of VSG's

She stated that the part of the stomach that is "stitched off" from the rest is not susceptible to disease or ulcers.

Comparison of complications to a VSG is, that leaks and ruptures can, and do occur with ESG, however it is rare.

She was not concerned about my history of scar tissue and inflammatory disease associated with an autoimmune disorder. For me the food I eat negatively impacts my health to the degree in which surgery is worth the risk.

My goal is to cut out sugar/flour/wheat/grains and eat 3 meals a day until my surgery. I want to get my weight down as much as possible to maximize the surgery assisted total weight loss.

I'm sure I have missed some stuff but my brain is starting to putter out. I"ll be back....

I welcome any and all questions. If you are out there browsing this site and afraid to speak up in the forum...private message me. You are not alone, it takes a village.

IMG_3851.jpg

IMG_3850.jpg

Wow, Bubbles talk about being thorough! Thank you for all that information. You did great. I hope you get approved. Please keep us updated.

3 hours ago, hope4momof4 said:

Wow, Bubbles talk about being thorough! Thank you for all that information. You did great. I hope you get approved. Please keep us updated.

OMG..I just figured how to respond with the quote bc above. Thanks and I will.

55 minutes ago, BubblesCT said:

OMG..I just figured how to respond with the quote bc above. Thanks and I will.

🤣🤣🤣I’m glad you figured it out if we are to become esg buddies!!

Hey Bubbles, thanks for sharing the extra info, really helpful to others. Sounded like a great discussion with your Dr. in the midst of a really stressful day! I was impressed with the candor and quality of feedback you received. I heard a similar message about not "falling back" on doing a future tightening to get the results we want.

I was laughing with you when I read your Starbucks comment, I was seriously there on the caffeine intake and haven't had a coffee since Nov 18th! No headaches or signs of withdrawal, never thought I would say that!

Very positive your history with scar tissue or immune disorder/foods wasn't an issue for an ESG.

Really cool for the forum how transparently your are sharing your experiences! Keep going!

Hi BubblesCT, I hope your pre procedure preparations continue to go well. We are all here to support you, every step of the way. I love your honesty and willingness to share. None of us get to the point of needing an esg unless we have some sort of issue with food so I wouldn't worry about this preventing you moving forward. Knowing what support you will need to make this work is really important to your success. It's the willingness to change that makes the difference. Stay positive and enjoy the beginning of your new life xo

13 hours ago, Melesg said:

Hi BubblesCT, I hope your pre procedure preparations continue to go well. We are all here to support you, every step of the way. I love your honesty and willingness to share. None of us get to the point of needing an esg unless we have some sort of issue with food so I wouldn't worry about this preventing you moving forward. Knowing what support you will need to make this work is really important to your success. It's the willingness to change that makes the difference. Stay positive and enjoy the beginning of your new life xo

Thank you Melesg, I woke up feeling down, I logged on to BP and received your message. It warms my heart, I really needed to hear that at this moment. Thank you for your kindness and encouragement.

mea

Hi BubblesCT, how are you? How have the past few days been for you? Mel [emoji4]

Hi Melesg, thanks for asking, i’m Doing well off of the sugar and carbs. I stopped phen which has been an adjustment but I’m plugging through. I’m fighting a chest cold but besides that all is good. How’s your weight loss progressing?

Hi Melesg, thanks for asking, i’m Doing well off of the sugar and carbs. I stopped phen which has been an adjustment but I’m plugging through. I’m fighting a chest cold but besides that all is good. How’s your weight loss progressing?

Coming off the carbs and sugar is huge, well done. What changes are you noticing without the phen?
My wt loss has slowed and I think it's time to build up some muscle mass to rev up my metabolism. I have been snacking more of late and a chat with the dietician was great to discuss how to move forward. She said that my choices of food was fine and the nutrients are worth the calories but that snacking can really slow weight loss, so the pay off is more activity. I want to start to tone up too so I am a little excited to attend my first session at the gym in many years [emoji51]

5 hours ago, Melesg said:

Coming off the carbs and sugar is huge, well done. What changes are you noticing without the phen?
My wt loss has slowed and I think it's time to build up some muscle mass to rev up my metabolism. I have been snacking more of late and a chat with the dietician was great to discuss how to move forward. She said that my choices of food was fine and the nutrients are worth the calories but that snacking can really slow weight loss, so the pay off is more activity. I want to start to tone up too so I am a little excited to attend my first session at the gym in many years

Building muscle will definitely help rev up your metabolism and the support of a personal trainer is a big motivator! Great plan.

What I have noticed most off the phen is a lack of energy. I'm dragging my butt around, but the positive is that I'm sleeping well and not getting up in the middle of the night for a 1,000 Calorie snack. I think my metabolism is sluggish, but I will hopefully balance that out with workouts starting next week. I had an increase in appetite for the first few days off phen, but it has since leveled off. Staying off the sugar and carbs stave off my cravings, and if I have the willpower to get into Ketosis, it will accelerate my pre-op weight loss. Taking it one day at a time...

Hey Bubbles that sounds like a great plan. I will do the same and wean myself off of phentermine but when I am closer to my procedure date. 😬😬 You have the right plan and attitude. Just stick to it and I’m sure you will be successful, pre and post op.

18 minutes ago, hope4momof4 said:

Hey Bubbles that sounds like a great plan. I will do the same and wean myself off of phentermine but when I am closer to my procedure date. 😬😬 You have the right plan and attitude. Just stick to it and I’m sure you will be successful, pre and post op.

Thanks Hope4momof4. It will be interesting to see if I'm able to loose off the phen. If the weight does not come off then I will resume taking it. My fear is that the amount of weight loss achieved from the ESG procedure will not meet my expectations. I've been reading many post from the laparoscopic sleeve section and the amount of weight loss the majority achieve align more to what I desire. I have another consultation with a different surgeon who preforms the sleeve to find out some more information. I would like to loose 70 pounds and not sure if this procedure will help me achieve that. Lots of thoughts floating about in my head.