Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting through Thanksgiving 2-3 weeks post op

So, I'll be a little over 2 weeks post-op on Thanksgiving Day. My surgery was 11/8. My Dr. said I could start trying soft/mushy foods this week. My family is going to our extended family's big dinner(s). It will be interesting trying to hide the fact that I'm not eating. I plan to use my 10 month old and just hold her and feed her "off my plate." :P Oh, I guess I should mention, I have kept my surgery a secret. No one knows but my husband. How did everyone do/doing with soft foods? What about like a bite of mashed potatoes? pumpkin? Are these typically well tolerated? I know everyone is different, but just getting an idea. Anything that I should totally not try? I definitely don't plan on eating much at all. I don't have an appetite. Just wondering what everyone else is doing. Anyone in the same shoes?

Edited by Lauren_jos19

I'm 4 weeks post-op and in the soft foods stage. I have been able tolerate all foods except brown rice. It felt too heavy and made me feel uncomfortable. I haven't told the family, either. The family who has seen me recently didn't say anything about my 41 pound weight loss so I might be able to continue with my secret. If they make a big deal about it, I will tell them. It will be easier to let them know rather than hide behind secrets. If they want to criticize me, I will thank them for their opinions and let them know it's falling on deaf ears.

Best wishes to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using BariatricPal mobile app

So, I'll be a little over 2 weeks post-op on Thanksgiving Day. My surgery was 11/8. My Dr. said I could start trying soft/mushy foods this week. My family is going to our extended family's big dinner(s). It will be interesting trying to hide the fact that I'm not eating. I plan to use my 10 month old and just hold her and feed her "off my plate." [emoji14] Oh, I guess I should mention, I have kept my surgery a secret. No one knows but my husband. How did everyone do/doing with soft foods? What about like a bite of mashed potatoes? pumpkin? Are these typically well tolerated? I know everyone is different, but just getting an idea. Anything that I should totally not try? I definitely don't plan on eating much at all. I don't have an appetite. Just wondering what everyone else is doing. Anyone in the same shoes?

I think that’s is a great idea. No one will ever know that’s you had the surgery. You and your baby eating off the same plate is a great idea. I’m going to get a little of turkey and veg.....

2 hours ago, Lauren_jos19 said:

So, I'll be a little over 2 weeks post-op on Thanksgiving Day. My surgery was 11/8. My Dr. said I could start trying soft/mushy foods this week. My family is going to our extended family's big dinner(s). It will be interesting trying to hide the fact that I'm not eating. I plan to use my 10 month old and just hold her and feed her "off my plate." :P Oh, I guess I should mention, I have kept my surgery a secret. No one knows but my husband. How did everyone do/doing with soft foods? What about like a bite of mashed potatoes? pumpkin? Are these typically well tolerated? I know everyone is different, but just getting an idea. Anything that I should totally not try? I definitely don't plan on eating much at all. I don't have an appetite. Just wondering what everyone else is doing. Anyone in the same shoes?

Hey there Same-Day Sleevie (11/8)!!!!!! I've planned a little something with just my mom, dad, and I (family is on the otherside of the country or out of the country).

Here's what's on the menu (for me):

• Mashed Potatoes (not chunky for me)
  • Cranberry Sauce
  • Peas (mashed)
  • Ground Turkey with Stuffing (cooked soft - might not eat it)
  • Baked Cauliflower Mac & cheese (won't eat that day; will freeze for next week)
  • Ricotta Bake

Granted, I'm not going to eat that all at one time (will be spaced out for Breakfast, lunch, and dinner that day, along with one Premier Protein blended with Plain Greek Yogurt for extra Protein -- to drink at two separate times)

We're lucky we're in the stage of pureed/soft foods around this time lol. My doc and nutritionist is fine with it, as long as I get my exercise in every day lol.

Does anyone have some good Thanksgiving recipes? I just started pureed foods this week. I have a turkey breast I was thinking about roasting, adding some gravy, and then puree. What is the baked ricotta - I see that mentioned often. What about fake mashed potatoes with cauliflower? Just wondering!

I'll be around 2 weeks postoperative on Thanksgiving as well. I don't know what your diet has been like, but it's not a good idea to try a ton of things out in one day. Introducing foods slowly is important as some could cause a reaction.

Also to the above poster I would be extremely cautious about cauliflower. Gassy foods can cause major abdominal pain and it's my understanding that cauliflower falls into that category.

I would try thinned mashed potatoes today to see how it's tolerated - you don't want to rush from the table nauseated. You can always fake the 'I have a slight intestinal problem since yesterday' excuse only if someone says anything. If you have not tried minced up meats, I would stay away from trying the turkey - but take some leftovers home and puree them there, pumpkin might be okay, but non-candied sweet potato would be better to try. Bring a lidded stainless steel thermal cup and put your Protein Drink in that so you do have some nutrition with you and no one can see what it is. If there are hors d'oeuvres you could try part of a deviled egg, if you traditionally do hors d'oeuvres, you could make turkey/chicken meatballs in a savory sauce and have one of those.

I would try mashed potatoes or cooked yams/sweet potatoes, stuffing depending on consistency (if it's really dry I would avoid) cranberry sauce should be okay, if there are any cooked veggies that are soft consistency (they can be mashed with a fork) a little pumpkin pie should be okay.

I would pass on Turkey, anything with nuts/seeds, veggies that are uncooked or not soft in consistency, rolls/breads (just because they will fill you up much faster) and any other pies that has fresh fruit, seeds or nuts in it.

As for approaching the family I think using your child is a good plan but also I would just play if off that you aren't feeling the best and you don't want to eat to much.

If you are in the puree stage and can't puree your Thanksgiving food, chew chew and chew your food. Chew at least 20 times and don't swallow the food if it has big pieces intact. Chewing does two things, it slows down your eating and it softens up your food making it easier to swallow. I would reconsider the cranberry sauce since it's loaded with sugar. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

On 11/20/2017 at 6:09 PM, Lauren_jos19 said:

Sounds like a solid plan to me -- I am a fan keeping the surgery on hte down-low.

Thank you ALL so much for the comments! They are so helpful!! I find I can still only eat about 1/4 cup of food at one sitting. I guess this is normal? I don't really feel "full" after, but I feel satisfied. I haven't tried meats yet. I think I'm going to have some potatoes, maybe green Beans (hopefully they go down okay), and a little pumpkin or sweet potato. I would love to try a deviled egg. :)

Edited by Lauren_jos19

50 minutes ago, Lauren_jos19 said:

I find I can still only eat about 1/4 cup of food at one sitting. I guess this is normal? I don't really feel "full" after, but I feel satisfied.

Yes, very normal.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!