Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hunger at 1 Year Post Surgery

I recently celebrated my one year surgiversary! I've lost about 85 pounds since the start of my journey at 247 pounds. I am currently stalled at weight loss but I'm not too worried as I'm still eating and exercising accordingly. My biggest issue, however, is HUNGER. I have noticed in the past few weeks that I am feeling hungrier faster and less satisfied with what I am eating. I question if there is any difference in WHAT I am eating and for the most part it's all the same, not much has changed. My exercise routine hasn't doubled or tripled either. I am wondering if other 1 year sleevers have gone through this very same thing? Is it related to the hormone ghrelin coming back?

I'm almost 8 months out and have noticed increased hunger already. I think it's normal, (and why people tend to gain weight at some point). Try to fill up on more veggies, so the calories don't start going up too badly. I've started having either raw or cooked veggies, ready to eat and available, so when I'm starving, I can grab that instead of chips or bread.

52 minutes ago, workerbeemama26 said:

I recently celebrated my one year surgiversary! I've lost about 85 pounds since the start of my journey at 247 pounds. I am currently stalled at weight loss but I'm not too worried as I'm still eating and exercising accordingly. My biggest issue, however, is HUNGER. I have noticed in the past few weeks that I am feeling hungrier faster and less satisfied with what I am eating. I question if there is any difference in WHAT I am eating and for the most part it's all the same, not much has changed. My exercise routine hasn't doubled or tripled either. I am wondering if other 1 year sleevers have gone through this very same thing? Is it related to the hormone ghrelin coming back?

85 pounds gone forever

Great advice from@Berry78.

Hunger changes and weight loss slows down as you get further out from surgery. Seems to be a normal experience. You still have restriction, but, you can also take in more volume. It will take a bit of trial and error to find what fills you up and what macronutrient ratios (protein, fats , carbs) keep you in weight loss mode.

Volume for me at three years is a bit over 8oz of food. I just had a salad 4.2 oz peppered turkey, half a piece of bacon, 4oz dole salad and lite dressing. I ate half of it..took a break..then finished the rest. I agree, The Fiber and bulk of your vegetables will help you feel more satisfied.

Changing foods to have more variety may help quite hunger.

Keep healthy salty sweet snack options on hand.

Something to try for exercise,

rotate what you do. Don't do the same workout over and over. You are right. increase the intensity. Try intervals. Walk a song five mins. push the intensity five mins repeat the process for the whole workout. You will get stronger and your pace will increase over time.

Hope you find what works for you.

2 minutes ago, workerbeemama26 said:

Thank you!

And Jenn1 I see you are at my GOAL which is 140! I am happy to see the time it took to arrive there and I'm hopeful I will get there soon as well, I'm at 162 right now.

Goal is almost there. Hope you have celebration plans or a goal reward.

Congratulations on your weight loss and your 1 year surgiversary! I am exactly 1 year today.

Great advice from these ladies and I finally clued in a couple of weeks ago and started keeping a ziplock bag in the fridge with cucumber slices, red peppers and baby carrots. I still weigh everything that I put in my mouth, even the fresh veggies. The fresh veggies have helped me a lot over the past few days, because the hunger started coming back for me at around 10 months. I upped my calories 1100-1250 a day and didn't realize until a few days ago that that is why I have been at a stall for over 2 months! Why am I such a slow learner? Duh.

Keep up the awesome work, you are almost there! :)