Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about Recovery House for Dr. Cardenas/Beauty Enhance

dreamingsmall- yes, I'm trying to hide something that I'm uncomfortable admitting to a doctor but totally comfortable admitting to an internet forum full of strangers. [emoji6]

Anyways all sarcasm aside, I intentionally did not go into detail re: my reluctance to do the tests because it was deeply personal and something others may not agree with. But if you are interested, I suppose it's a combination of moral/religious objection and financial thriftiness. It started with visits to the walk in clinic and my primary care physician explaining my plans for PS. They ordered some of Dr Cardenas' required tests with some begging. These were sufficient for the seven other surgeons I consulted with. At most of those PS clinics, the list of required test appeared to come from sort of manual issued by the American Board for plastic surgery (i.e., same order, font, footnotes, etc). Both refused to order the HIV, Hep A/C and blood pregnancy test for a PS patient who had never been sexually active and has no history of IV drugs. Then I figured out that the self pay cost was at least $100 in my area so I went to a walk-in clinic with an elaborate story about how I had unprotected sex with someone in a high risk group, etc but decided against doing that in the waiting room.

If it makes you less angry, I'll reach out to some of my friends in the medical profession who can look up the documents covering standard practices in the American medical profession. If it is the case that these tests are recommended to American doctors, I will go ahead and pay out of pocket for the labs.

I don't need your life story neither did I ask you to share here what you are hiding.i said are you hiding something. . I'm not angry at all. But I wouldn't do surgery on someone who refused a HIV test. So weldone to that doctor. Things are handled differently with someone who has. So if those 7 surgeons didn't care to know what's upto them. Just because one is more detailed and thorough than others is a plus in my book. Goodluck anyway I'm not sure why I'd be angry with u lol I was confused.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

On 11/15/2017 at 11:47 PM, nurse247 said:

I am at the recovery house now. And it’s far superior than any hotel. You are going to need the help. It’s like a family here. Everyone is very friendly. It’s so very comfy here. It’s reassuring talking with a roomie who’s going through the same things. I’ve not had any problems and after having it this way I’d not prefer it any other way. I say this as a current patient and a nurse.

IMG_4658.JPG

Wow, your results are remarkable! I really appreciate you posting your journey -- can't wait to see where you are in 6 months! :-)

ps -- my son's a nurse -- graduating on Friday UMSON >> proud mama

Edited by Apple203

Thank you! The recovery from this surgery has been hard. I don’t know that anything can prepare someone for it. A good support system is vital and a great plastic surgery team. I am very glad I went to Dr Cardenas because not only did her and the team do a wonderful job but they continue to check on me and I have access to her nurse 24-7. She’s extremely responsive and puts my mind at ease when I’m having a neurotic episode lol.

It looks like a hard surgery to recover from -- aren't you glad its over for you?? I know I will need it at my age, but I'm not sure I will be brave enough. Will have to hunt down this thread to remind myself how much better my tummy can look!

dreamingsmall- yes, I'm trying to hide something that I'm uncomfortable admitting to a doctor but totally comfortable admitting to an internet forum full of strangers.
Anyways all sarcasm aside, I intentionally did not go into detail re: my reluctance to do the tests because it was deeply personal and something others may not agree with. But if you are interested, I suppose it's a combination of moral/religious objection and financial thriftiness. It started with visits to the walk in clinic and my primary care physician explaining my plans for PS. They ordered some of Dr Cardenas' required tests with some begging. These were sufficient for the seven other surgeons I consulted with. At most of those PS clinics, the list of required test appeared to come from sort of manual issued by the American Board for Plastic Surgery (i.e., same order, font, footnotes, etc). Both refused to order the HIV, Hep A/C and blood pregnancy test for a PS patient who had never been sexually active and has no history of IV drugs. Then I figured out that the self pay cost was at least $100 in my area so I went to a walk-in clinic with an elaborate story about how I had unprotected sex with someone in a high risk group, etc but decided against doing that in the waiting room.
If it makes you less angry, I'll reach out to some of my friends in the medical profession who can look up the documents covering standard practices in the American medical profession. If it is the case that these tests are recommended to American doctors, I will go ahead and pay out of pocket for the labs.

If it's simply the $100, won't you be saving at least that much having it done in Mexico vs the US?

My surgeon didn't have a list that was copied out of anywhere, it was on his own letterhead and in fonts that matched the rest of their paperwork. I also didn't get a list of pre op tests until I chose a surgeon, so I don't know what tests the other six I met with or corresponded with (in the case of the Mexico surgeons) ordered.

On 12/12/2017 at 7:28 PM, jess9395 said:

If it's simply the $100, won't you be saving at least that much having it done in Mexico vs the US?

My surgeon didn't have a list that was copied out of anywhere, it was on his own letterhead and in fonts that matched the rest of their paperwork. I also didn't get a list of pre op tests until I chose a surgeon, so I don't know what tests the other six I met with or corresponded with (in the case of the Mexico surgeons) ordered.

Actually it is cheaper to get it done locally than in Mexico once you account for the travel costs. Yes, I am fairly lucky that I have affordable local options.

Fyi, after I informed Dr. Cardenas that I scheduled with someone else, I received a phone call with a fairly pushy sales pitch about why going with her was better.

Actually it is cheaper to get it done locally than in Mexico once you account for the travel costs. Yes, I am fairly lucky that I have affordable local options.
Fyi, after I informed Dr. Cardenas that I scheduled with someone else, I received a phone call with a fairly pushy sales pitch about why going with her was better.

You are lucky indeed!

On 12/11/2017 at 7:53 PM, dreamingsmall said:

OMG I noticed mine is poofy too :( but I never noticed it 60lbs ago why do I notice it now. I can't lose weight there can I?!

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

I am so sorry to get a big laugh out of this but I was just picturing a workout on YouTube with a pubic area lifting a tiny barbell. :D

Any good advice for the following weeks and months to come? I'm just 6 days post op and only side effect is coughing phlegm out and having my stomach muscle hurt so much! I hold on to my stomach each time I cough to try and not let any stitches from muscle come undone. Also, continue to get light headed each time I remove body faja to clean and redress incision.

Sent from my SM-J327P using BariatricPal mobile app

Great results!!! Splinting with a pillow over your abdominal area should help some. You sound like you may possibly be a bit low bp wise from the fainting issue. I was the same. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids especially before take the faja off. And sit for a few min after taking it off to let your body adjust a bit. It’s a horrible feeling. I hope the best and a speedy recovery to u!

Yes! In the hospital it went as low as 85/75! Good advice though, thank you. I've been drinking my 2 liters of Water a day but will try to drink a lot before taking it off.

Yes! In the hospital it went as low as 85/75! Good advice though, thank you. I've been drinking my 2 liters of Water a day but will try to drink a lot before taking it off.

Hang in there girl! These difficult days will pass!!

Here’s my updated pic. IMG_5227.JPG

Wow, you look absolutely amazing!!! Have you lost more since surgery?

Thank you. Ya I lost about ten more lbs. I’m still swollen not sure how much more will come off. I tried wearing jeans the other day. What a weird sensation having my hip bones poking out. I’ve always worn waist high jeans and this low rise stuff is new to me. Still trying to adjust.