Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I Tell the Truth---Or Lie???

I am a very honest person and I don't like to lie about anything, but I am starting to have an uneasy feeling that the doctor might not give me a fill (or a very good one) when I see him on Monday. Should I tell him that I'm starving and eating large quantities of food when I'm not at all? Should I lie about my starting weight so it looks like I haven't lost that much. He doesn't know what I weighed to begin with because he didn't do the surgery.

I just hate to think of paying the money (self pay) and not getting a good fill for the money.

What do you all think?

:(

Hon, if you don't need the fill, cancel the appointment. Then you're neither out the money nor overfilled.

You're not starving, not eating large portions, and losing weight. At least that's what I read from your message. Because I don't know what they cost, let's say fills are $100. Here are two scenarios. Certainly they're not the only scenarios, but each is quite likely.

Scenario 1: You go to the appointment and tell the truth. The doctor gives you little to no fill. So you pay $0 - $100. You go home, and continue to enjoy your current level of restriction, which seems to be working (that's a guess based on the above information). Perhaps in a few weeks your restriction changes and you're "for sure" ready for a fill. At that time, you go again, and pay $100. Result is that you're comfortably restricted and have paid $100 - $200.

Scenario 2: You go to the appointment and lie. The doctor gives you a fill, possibly more fill than you can tolerate if you're already at a good level of restriction. $100. You go home, and cannot get any food down. This irritates the esophagus, you swell, and soon you cannot even get your own saliva down, so you're yakking up saliva that looks like a combination of egg whites and soap lather for 10 hours. You call for an unfill, and the surgeon takes out more than he put it. $100. Then, a few weeks later, you've recovered and want to get back to your original level of restriction, or perhaps a hair more. $100. Result is that you're comfortably restricted now, but have been very uncomfortable for some point, and have paid $300 to maybe get back your original level of restriction, or maybe still need additional fills to get there.

I say tell the truth. I went to my dr yesterday and ended up getting a fill. He asked how much I could eat and how much I have lost week by week. I definate weight loss the first 2 weeks and after that I had a few weeks with nothing or 1 pound. I did have a few days of being hungry but was able to control it. So the dr filled me. Not telling the truth can really hurt you in the end, so I say tell the truth and ask for a fill. The worst he can say is "No, come back in a few weeks".

-Leena

Unfortunately I can understand why you feel the way you do. We experience that in other areas of life, and it can imaginably be that way in this instance. After all, business is business. But, thats an emotional response, to anxiety, fear... In a funny way, that is exactly what you should tell your doctor. This is all new, surely your Dr. has experienced all types of people, and he has had people not be entirely honest, perhaps with a variety of consequences. I think you should tell him your concern, and if he reacts with honesty and appreciation, Celebrate, be happy you now have a physician you like and trust. If he gets an attitude, or you don't like him that much after all, go elsewhere. From what I see, there are fill spots all over. :)

I can understand wanting to get a good fill for your money but your doctor knows what is best. Do they use flouro? You honestly do not want to get over filled and then have to have more taken out than they put in at your last fill!

I was overfilled by the primer amount they put in during surgery. It was NOT a good week until they took it all out. The last thing I would want if I was you is to be overfilled. My advice- be honest. You can rebook your apt. for another time.

First decide if you want the doctor's opinion or are you going to self medicate.

If you want to go w/ the doc...let him guide you.

If you want to self medicate... make the decision and say what needs to be said to get the job done...but you must live with any complications that may occur.

Thanks so much to all of you who responded. I have decided to tell him the truth along with my concerns about this. I know I will be happier (and safer) all the way around. Thanks again!!! Lynn

I go for my first fill Monday the 22nd. I had my lapband on 8/30/2007. I have lost 20 pounds. I weighed 253 at surgery and now I am 233. My Dr. said he would do the fill under Xray and make sure that Fluid easily passes so I am not overfilled. I have 2 serious health conditions-diabetes and a pituitay tumor. My Dr. wants me to take it slow. Maybe your Dr. will do the fill under Xray-then you know you are not overfilled? If I am concerned, I usually call and ask and then I know what is the plan before I get there. Good luck to you.

Bret Renee

Ok...I told the truth....well, sort of. I told him that I am not experiencing anything I have not experienced before. I have always been able to go on a diet plan, Weight Watchers, Atkins, South Beach, Sonoma, whatever, and lose the same amount as I have lost....BUT...always end up losing control and gaining it all back PLUS some. I told him I feel NO restriction and that my weight loss is strictly due to not eating more than 3 meals and no more than 1/2 cup or 3 to 4 oz per meal. All of that is true...BUT...to be completely HONEST, I have to say that it has been easier this time and I believe that is because of the band...even without a fill.

So I got the fill and can't tell a bit of difference...yet anyway!!!

:)

LoL Lyn! I said just about the same thing to my doc with fill #2 or #3............. you did the right thing :)

How much of a fill did he give you?

My fill was 1.5cc. From what they said I guess .5 of that primes the tubing from the band to the port and the other 1cc is in the band itself. He said there was nothing in the band to prime it or anything. Is that normal? Do most doctors prime it? Just wondering...