Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you think of these pre-op shake brands?

My surgeon has a very strict pre-surgery diet, consisting of raw vegetables and Protein shakes...for 4 weeks, for me! Ugh! I am starting this next week. I only have a few approved options for my Protein Shakes, and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the idea of spending money on a ton of these and hating them. I also can't make them more tolerable by adding fruit or sugar substitutes or whatever. I was wondering if anyone has any experiences with the protein shakes/powders below? Please give me your opinions! Thanks!

Orgain Organic Meal

Advocare Meal Replacement

Bariatric Advantage High Protein Shake

Core Power

Naturade Total Soy Meal Replacement

2 minutes ago, Katya said:

Your doctor sounds like a sadist. 4 weeks seems ridiculously long. Sorry I can't help since I don't have experience with any of those brands, but I have heard good things about Advocare. Stay strong! You can do this.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Haha, I agree about the sadist comment! The surgeons at my hospital have like, a ridiculously low rate of opening people up unexpectedly during surgery, due to us all having such slim livers! ;) So that's their justification! I'm going to try to power through-good practice for post-surgery, I guess!

I really like the Orgain products, I used them pre op and still do post op. I like them bc they don't have the artificial sweeteners etc. that some of the others have. That being said, they are not as sweet as some of the other products out there. Sometimes you can find single serve packets or individual ready made shakes of various products at GNC, Vitamin Shoppe etc. so you can try them out. Also, be aware that your tastes or tolerance for shakes may change between pre and post op. My surgeon wanted me on whey Protein, which I had no problem with pre-op, post op it made me nauseous...I just gave that $90 jug of Naked Whey to a friend.

Bariatric Advantage is the best. It tastes great, no grit and you can add one stevia to sweeten. Also I use almond milk to make it with. Hope this helps

also Premier is pretty good i like them and no grit! just really taste like a milk shake. 30g of Protein per serving

I drink premier and LOVE them!!! ALL flavors are great. Caramel is my fav but can’t add different flavs to it except PB & banana. I just ordered vanilla and bought sugar free jams to put a teaspoon into and change the flavor. Seedless BlackBerry & strawberry. Yummy.

Edited by Ladycop2070

Wow, 4 weeks preop!! How long does he have you do postop? I did 2 weeks Preop and 4 weeks postop. I really didn't have much trouble with either one due to being afraid he would cancel my RNY during Preop. Postop I really didn't have any PROBLEMS sticking to it due to not wanting to do anything wrong and hurt myself or mess up my weight loss. It's funny how we think at times. I even thought that I didn't want to fail and disappoint my Surgeon. LOL He was doing it for me and not me doing it for him. Funny stuff