Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's Talk About Poop, Baby! Let's Talk About You and Me!

I usually eat 1/4 of an avo which depending on size is about 1 to 1 3/4oz. Any more and I "feel" like it stalls me? Ridic, I know!

I can understand that about your fam. To an extent Mr. Fluffy and I share that dynamic. He's not jealous, rather he's supportive. He is on a mission to get healthy and get his T2 into submission. I'm teaching him as much as I know, as quickly as I can assimilate it. But sometimes it would be nice if he came up with a meal plan on his own. LOL. And then I have to tell him about his business lunches, "The beatings are just gonna continue until morale improves, buddy! So quit eating the dayum sweet potato fries. They are NOT a superfood!" :D But he's great about eating what I put on his plate (except crustaceans and mollusks). And he's very supportive of my journey and just wants me to feel better and have more energy and less pain.

And just hugs to you and your son. You are a great mama and he's very lucky to have you on his team (as you are blessed to have him)! Yes out of the mouths of babes. My niece is an Aspie, and when told about Mr. Fluffy's and my engagement said, "Oh nuts!" :( One of the best things is that you ALWAYS know where you are with them. :D Needless to say she, nor her parents are my biggest fan.

Edited by FluffyChix

Pretty sure my extended family doesn't care for me much either ... I dunno why.. oh well, their loss ;)

I'll have to report back r.e. avacados. Haven't bought one in a while. I figure I can eat half of one, but not sure what I'll be able to eat with it.

Stuffed with salad shrimp.

Sent from my SM-J327T using BariatricPal mobile app

I crave salads now and I eat one everyday for lunch. I put 1 oz of walnuts or almonds, sometimes a little avocado. So delicious and nutritious!!

You can get your microflora identified by a poop sample. I have thought about doing this to make sure I have a good variety of the right types. Fiber is important from what I have been reading lately.

I used to love Avocado. Since surgery they make me feel bad. Too much fat?

It's possible.. could just be a texture or taste thing too. I have some issues with cheese, which is similar to avacado.. heavy and all..

This might be a totally different topic, but it's poop related...somewhat.

I find this really interesting.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-31168511

A woman has dramatically gained weight after a stool transplant from her daughter, doctors report.

It is a genuine medical procedure to transplant healthy bacteria into a diseased gut, but US doctors think it may have affected her waistline.

She quickly gained 36lb (16kg) and is now classed as obese, the case report in Open Forum Infectious Diseases says.

A UK expert said the link between gut bugs and obesity was still unclear.

A faecal microbiota transplant - also referred to by some as a "transpoosion" - is like an extreme version of a probiotic yogurt.

The aim is to introduce good bacteria into the gut and it was officially backed by the UK health service last year.

New treatment

It is used when people have stubborn Clostridium difficile infection in their bowels.

This can cause vomiting, diarrhoea and abdominal pain and cannot always be treated with antibiotics.

The 32-year old woman, who has not been indentified, had an infection that could not be treated with even the most powerful antibiotics.

Dr Colleen Kelly, from the Medical School at Brown University, said the option of a faecal transplant was discussed and the woman wanted to use a relative - her daughter.

The daughter was overweight at the time and was on her way to becoming obese.

The procedure did clear the woman's infection.

But Dr Kelly told the BBC News website: "She came back about a year later and complained of tremendous weight gain.

"She felt like a switch flipped in her body - to this day she continues to have problems."

She started with a Body Mass Index of 26. Sixteen months after the procedure she had a BMI of 33 and three years after it, a BMI of 34.5.

Caution

Previous research has shown that transplanting gut bacteria from obese people into mice led to the animals gaining weight.

Dr Kelly said limited conclusions could be drawn from a single patient, but called the case a warning as "there's not a lot on safety evidence out there".

Dr Kelly has now changed her practices and "as a result I'm very careful with all our donors don't use obese people".

Dr Andreas Karatzas, from Reading University, said: "You have to bear in mind that this person was saved.

"If you run the risk of losing a patient, you don't bother about what could happen 20 years later."

However, he said the evidence that gut bacteria affected human waistlines was still inconclusive.

"There is some evidence in animals, but we have to be careful - it is a different organism. Just because it happens in animals doesn't mean it happens in humans as well."

This is a great article! It would also follow that they could wipe out obese people's microflora and replace with that of normal weight people.... maybe.

Yeah, very interesting article. I'd read about this study in mice and they were postulating if you could do transfers from skinny patients into obese subjects and have remediation of the obesity. :) Love this poopie talk!

@Half-TumPraying that the avo thing is temporary until your tummy gets robust again. I think it maybe could be like eggs? My nut cautioned me to only eat avos that are very soft? Don't know if that might be an issue--maybe it's the fiber in more firm ones?

The thing with bacteria is it grows and wanes based on what it is being fed. So if the actual strains of bacteria present are the same in heavy or light people, and it's just proportionally different based on the diet differences... then a change in diet will make the proportions align, and the microbiota will be the same.

But, if heavy people have completely different strains.. then they WOULD need to be recolonized with the right stuff.

Here's another:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26708682

Composition of the intestinal microbiota is affected by the circadian rhythm, such as in shift workers. Dysruption of circadian rhythm may influence intestinal microbiota. The imbalance between the microbiota and host organism leads to dysbacteriosis. From the membrane of Gram-negative bacteria lipopolysacharides penetrate into the blood stream, via impaired permeability of the intestinal mucosa. These processes induce metabolic endotoxaemia, inflammation, impaired glucose metabolism, insulin resistance, obesity, and contribute to the development of metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, inflammarory bowel diseases, autoimmunity and carcinogenesis. Encouraging therapeutic possibility is to restore the normal microbiota either using pro- or prebiotics, fecal transplantation or bariatric surgery. Human investigations seem to prove that fecal transplant from lean healthy individuals into obese diabetic patients improved all the pathological parameters. Wide spread use of bariatric surgery altered gut microbiota and improved metabolic parameters apart from surgery itself. Pathomechanism is not yet completely clarified. Clinicians hope, that deeper understanding of complex functions of intestinal microbiota will contribute to develop more effective therapeutic proceedings against diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and obesity.

Maybe this is part of why bariatric surgery can be so effective?

If our gut bugs are this important.. and we're busy using antibiotics, C-sections, antibacterial soaps and hand sanitizers, pasteurization, refined, fiber deficient, processed, chemical laden...

It's no wonder 70% of the US population is overweight!

I swear, I'm having hair brained schemes of grabbing my BIL who is so skinny, and pulling him to the potty with with a plastic hat. Then I'd grab an enema bag, collander, coffee filter, goggles, noseplug, shoulder length gloves and go to town! *time to take over the world, Pinky*

Thanks for the belly laugh!!! (Oh man, my overactive imagination went to town on that one!) Eek!!!!

:lol::lol::lol: