Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Petrified and indecisive

Just a thought... if you're concerned about not being able to consume what others do because it will make you seem "different"....

Aren't you different already being obese? Would you rather be different one way or the other?

I do agree with the person above who suggested therapy to see where your head is at. It sounds like t would be quite useful to you!

Funny enough you mentioned that, my Dr referd me today! So hopefully that will help. You've been great too tho [emoji16]

And you're right when I look at myself being big I do class myself different in a negative way, maybe being different can be good too.

Sent from my F5121 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm gonna be honest....
It's not the "I've had 6/7 cocktail nights..." that makes you sounds like an alcoholic. It's the PLANNING for them and feeling anxious that you might not be able to have more of them that does.
We've all had those nights. But it being so important that you make sure you can keep having them that worries me.
Also know that the amount of Alcohil in a jack and coke is way higher than in a glass of wine. Some people get sleepy or flushed or other weird thugs with wine but it's the tannins not the alcohol.
Now that said, I will warn you the coke may be an issue. Carbonation is tolerated differently by many people after the surgery. I still get stomach aches from it four years out. Some people do fine though.

In all honesty it's more about having too much and being sick I'm afraid of. Just wanted to brainstorm some ways of being able to keep up with everyone in a safe way and not have to go home early. Fear of missing out I guess lol.

Yeah I pretty much guessed my usual drink would be a no no! I have no idea why wine makes me feel more drunk than jd, it's strange but after 2 wines compared to two JDs I can definitely feel the difference and more in control.

What drink would you consider the safest after surgery as in low calories and low alcohol percentage? Always seem to be one or the other.

I was in a very similar boat to you! I was just over a 40 BMI, 25 years old, with PCOS and asthma. I had the sleeve surgery in 2014 and lost over 100 pounds and have been maintaining for the past few years. Unfortunately I ended up needing revision surgery because of bad GERD (to bypass), but I am still very happy with my decision and live a pretty normal life. I am able to go out to eat and drink with friends. Feel free to ask questions!

I was in a very similar boat to you! I was just over a 40 BMI, 25 years old, with PCOS and asthma. I had the sleeve surgery in 2014 and lost over 100 pounds and have been maintaining for the past few years. Unfortunately I ended up needing revision surgery because of bad GERD (to bypass), but I am still very happy with my decision and live a pretty normal life. I am able to go out to eat and drink with friends. Feel free to ask questions!

Aha really that does sound similar!
How soon did you have the revision surgery after the initial one? And what is GERD [emoji15] just tried to Google it but couldn't see anything lol

Congrats on weighloss and maintaining!

In all honesty it's more about having too much and being sick I'm afraid of. Just wanted to brainstorm some ways of being able to keep up with everyone in a safe way and not have to go home early. Fear of missing out I guess lol.

Yeah I pretty much guessed my usual drink would be a no no! I have no idea why wine makes me feel more drunk than jd, it's strange but after 2 wines compared to two JDs I can definitely feel the difference and more in control.

What drink would you consider the safest after surgery as in low calories and low alcohol percentage? Always seem to be one or the other.

I drink a glass of wine now and then, or do a shot of hard alcohol in a sugar free or low cal mixer. I like a shot of whiskey in sugar free cider or vodka in low cal cranberry juice. There are "light" margarita mixers. I'm at goal so I do vodka Collins sometimes. If I could do carbonation I'd do gin and soda. Some people use crystal light mixers. If you can tolerate carbonation there are plenty of light beers or heck Jack (or rum) and Diet Coke. Just mix more of the mixer to alcohol than you used to!

I drink a glass of wine now and then, or do a shot of hard alcohol in a sugar free or low cal mixer. I like a shot of whiskey in sugar free cider or vodka in low cal cranberry juice. There are "light" margarita mixers. I'm at goal so I do vodka Collins sometimes. If I could do carbonation I'd do gin and soda. Some people use crystal light mixers. If you can tolerate carbonation there are plenty of light beers or heck Jack (or rum) and Diet Coke. Just mix more of the mixer to alcohol than you used to!

Good info. Thanks for all your help Jess you've been great [emoji16]

17 hours ago, JeezLouise91 said:

Aha really that does sound similar!
How soon did you have the revision surgery after the initial one? And what is GERD just tried to Google it but couldn't see anything lol

Congrats on weighloss and maintaining!

I just had my revision surgery on September 1st. GERD is Acid Reflux, and I got it pretty badly after the sleeve. It was my only complication, but in the end it was worth it to me to get the bypass. I had a very easy recovery and am very happy with my choice. Once I was far enough out from my sleeve surgery I was able to drink wine, low-calorie mixers with hard alcohol, and occasionally beer. I think you have to figure out what works for you, and stay diligent not to let it contribute to regain or become a habit. Even though we can live pretty normal food and drink lives, we have to be more diligent than others not to slip into old habits (for some of us, habits we have had our whole lives). It can feel like an uphill battle, but I can't tell you how good it feels to not feel panicked about your weight every day. Whatever you decide, good luck!

I just had my revision surgery on September 1st. GERD is Acid Reflux, and I got it pretty badly after the sleeve. It was my only complication, but in the end it was worth it to me to get the bypass. I had a very easy recovery and am very happy with my choice. Once I was far enough out from my sleeve surgery I was able to drink wine, low-calorie mixers with hard alcohol, and occasionally beer. I think you have to figure out what works for you, and stay diligent not to let it contribute to regain or become a habit. Even though we can live pretty normal food and drink lives, we have to be more diligent than others not to slip into old habits (for some of us, habits we have had our whole lives). It can feel like an uphill battle, but I can't tell you how good it feels to not feel panicked about your weight every day. Whatever you decide, good luck!

I'm glad that you still think the surgery was worth it even though you had that complication! Thank you for the advice [emoji16]

Concerned that this whole thread was hijacked by alcohol - how to drink, when to drink, what to drink, can I ever have fun drinking again?????

You are young so I get the mentality to an extent. Maybe you compensate while being obese by being the fun, drinking girl? And maybe your fear is more than just the being able to drink part - maybe it's the changes about how others will see you once your at normal weight and aren't the life of the party?

Also not dominating the thread, your health issues. What is more important? Put your priorities in order. With fertility the main one, do you want every chance to resolve the PCOS while you can before premature menopause, or do you want to worry about drinking?

Go to counseling and bring all this up and get it sorted out. I wish you the very best in your decisions and the future joy of good health.

Edited by Sosewsue61

Concerned that this whole thread was hijacked by alcohol - how to drink, when to drink, what to drink, can I ever have fun drinking again?????
You are young so I get the mentality to an extent. Maybe you compensate while being obese by being the fun, drinking girl? And maybe your fear is more than just the being able to drink part - maybe it's the changes about how others will see you once your at normal weight and aren't the life of the party?
Also not dominating the thread, your health issues. What is more important? Put your priorities in order. With fertility the main one, do you want every chance to resolve the PCOS while you can before premature menopause, or do you want to worry about drinking?
Go to counseling and bring all this up and get it sorted out. I wish you the very best in your decisions and the future joy of good health.

Thanks hun. It's not quite that.
I only have one friend who lives miles away so I don't really go on nights out. Only special occasions with my OH and the occasional random night with my cousins. It is honestly just the fact I don't want to get alcohol poisoning or get too drunk when I do go out. More concerned about my health and safety than that!

Hey everyone. I thought I would do a quick update!

I am happy to confirm that I got sleeved on the 8th of February and have lost 31lbs since my preop diet!

Reading this post has made me laugh. I am so much more informed now, but if it wasn't for everyone that reassured me on here I may of not had it done. So thank you so much for all your advice!

Xxxxx

Instagram: @jeez_sleevedlouise
Sleeved 8th Feb 2018
HW 238.6
SW 222.6
CW 216
GW 138

@jeez sleeved Louise so happy it all did good for you and your weight journey. I have felt you were a distant friend but still a friend. I haven't made it to surgery yet, check my Change Your Hospital posting and you'll find out what I had happen. But I'm going forward, I may be an American mutt but I have hybrid strength and enough stubbornness to be divided in 3 parts. I'm going to be a winner in this race, I'm not giving up. This going to be the sweet spring of my life! Keep,up the good losses, that's over 2 of you stones isn't it? Hurrah!

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app