Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded on the 15th..and I'm in SO much PAIN

I was banded on the 19th and didn't expect as much pain or difficulty moving around. I was in tears at my doctor's today, thinking I'd made a terrible decision. I also feel weak and lethargic from just taking fluids. I don't feel I was adequately informed about the emotional side of this surgery. You are definitely not alone!

Hey everyone!

I was banded on the 15th, and I'm still feeling so much pain, especially in my port site! I can't laugh, cough and barely sit up without feeling immense pain...and don't even get me started on my back pain! I've been taking my pain killers as directed...but is there anything else I can do? I am supposed to go back to work on Monday, but I don't know if I will be able to. Anybody else experience similar pains?

I'm having my surgery next week and I must say this thread is not helping my anxiety!! :):eek::( I know it's good to be prepared but now I want to run the other way... :D:D:D

I awoke from surgery filled with joy! No problems. I had surgery Monday w/hh op. Left hosp tuesday and am now at home. Minimal pain and discomfort, but taking the vicodin to help sleep.< /p>

Well I hope I'm as lucky as you citimom... I keep fluctuating between fear, feeling surreal and excitement... now it's just a matter of counting down the next 7 days !! :whoo:

I didn't have hardly any pain day of surgery or after. I did have the left shoulder pain from gas but I did alot of rocking to make it move. During surgery alot of pain comes from what organs have to be moved and how gentle they are on moving them.

I went to my follow up ready to complain because of the pain I was in....and they told me I looked good for being 2 days post op and that some come in crying regretting what they've done. Then he told me those same people come in a month later as happy as can be about their decision. You'll get there soon!

This thread has been an eye opener. If I experience anything like y'all, then I think for at least the first 3-5 days post-op Vicodin is going to be my new best friend.:nervous

This thread has been an eye opener. If I experience anything like y'all, then I think for at least the first 3-5 days post-op Vicodin is going to be my new best friend.:nervous

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best....as the saying goes (did I get that right?) :) Just remember everyone's different and there are actually some who are up and running the day after. I just wish I was one of those! Then again I only took my meds twice and felt I'd rather sit through the pain than taste the medicine...so it couldn't have been that bad. Ha.

I had my psych consultation yesterday and the psychologist told me that 98 percent of the people who get banded are very successful with it. She believes that boards like these, as wonderful as they are for information and support, over-represent the problems. She pretty much advised me not to come to these boards but I told her that I understood that some of what we read here is not necessarily typical but I have learned SO MUCH and, in fact, would probably not have found my doctor if it wasn't for this board.

And I don't mean to downplay the problems that some folks have had or imply that they shouldn't be sharing them. That's also what this board is for. I think it's good to be aware of the possible problems but not worry about them too much. And only other bandsters are going to understand and offer support and suggestions when someone is in pain, physical or emotional.

I totally agree with you, Longhorn--every bandster's experience, while similar, is going to have differences due to their individual body makeup, surgeon, hospital, etc.

My surgeon said the same thing about reading the threads--and our Bariatric Center has a support group that meets twice a month that he suggests that every patient attend.

But as long as we read the boards and take each response with a grain of salt, it gives us some reference material we can read on a daily basis.

It's just interesting to read about so many persons going through similar circumstances at the same time--and it really has helped me know that some of my issues are just normal.

I am also new to this forum. I have my pre-op appt 10/30/07 and surgery 11/13/07. I am not looking foward to the pre-op diet. I want the surgery date to be here. However, I am now getting really scared after reading about how much pain is involved and some about how people have gained weight.:paranoid

"Prepare for the worst and hope for the best." I was prepared for some pretty intense pain, and that never happened. My average pain was a 2 (for about 5 days, then nothing) on a 1-10 scale, and it got as high as a 4 when the gas pain hit my left shoulder. It was nothing a little liquid Roxicet couldn't handle...I love PERCOCET!! :) The incisions never hurt, I was sleeping on my side in 1 day and on my stomach with 4 days. I even went back to exercising (cardio, no weights) 10 days post op. On the other hand, I've heard of people on this board laid up for a couple of weeks.

If you've never had surgery before, recovery could be quite a shock to your system. I've had seven previous surgeries, and I've never bounced back as quick as I did after my banding.

I know that everyone is different, and I feel for you guys who have pain, or intense pain. I was prepared for pain and to my surprise had none at all. The exact same was experienced by my support group buddy who had surgery the same day, immediately right after mine. We were both discharged the next day, and we're both 300 plus. The only difference is the he's a he.

"Prepare for the worst and hope for the best" is a good motto."

Remember, this IS surgery. To expect no pain in recovery is ludicrous. It's good to know that the pain WILL GO AWAY. Just keep on top of it, take your meds, get plenty of rest, and walk as much as you are able.

Get help with the gas pains... they're inevitable... I had gas pains too. (and you'll have gas pains with all surgeries, it's completely normal). Walk; get someone to rub your back; walk some more; take anti-gas meds. It may take a few days before your BM's resemble something normal.

If you're blocked and still have gas, try a warm Water enema (the gas needs somewhere to go). It works wonders.

Pre-banding, I reconciled this way: I can barely stand, barely walk. My body is wrought with pain every single day. What's a few days of post-surgery pain if I'm going to have my other pain subside with weight-loss? Can I take it? I'm going to have to. And I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of pain. Already my 16 pound loss has given me more stamina and lessened the pain so much, that I need my body pain meds less often.

I wish you the best in your recovery!

I'm 5 days out from surgery and can honestly say it wasn't as bad as I thought. The gas pains SUCKED the incisions were/are sore. By day 5 it's the port incision that bothers me the most. Be carefull getting up and down from a sitting position - I tore an internal stich and it hurt like all get out.

The gas pain is worse than anything else and it's finally letting up - just mostly what felt like heartburn and pains in my left shoulder. Get up and move frequently.

On the weight gain/loss side. My doctor - and many other sites really try to emphasis NOT to focus on weight gain/loss in the first month or two. Hard, I know, but we have to let our stomachs heal. We have to learn how to eat - Remember - the band is permanent. We have to learn how to eat and deal with it. I'm trying to focus on where I want to be 6, 9 months from now - not 6 or 9 weeks from now.

Yes, it's surgery. Yes, it will hurt. Plan on taking at least a week of total down time. You may go faster than that (I'm working from home today and moving much better).

Hang it there. It will get better. I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I had zero pain. I was banded on 9/14 and I felt so good that I could have gone back to work on 9/17. I didn't because I told my manager that I went to visit my Mom. Use the pillow it really helps. Ask someone to put a little pressure on the ends of the pillow and then try coughing. Relax and don't push/rush yourself. It will get better!