Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 days out and HUNGRY

Hi all,

I’m 67 years old, had my sleeve surgery on Oct 10 along with a hiatal hernia repair and gallbladder removal. Was nauseous the first week but never vomited and was able to get down all the protien shakes and most of the Fluid requirements. Yesterday the nausea left but HUNGER returned with a vengeance. Any tips on getting through this phase and will the hunger diminish once I can begin eating some ground Proteins? On the next phase I can have cottage cheese, white fish and other soft proteins. Hoping once I can eat something that stays in the stomach longer I won’t feel so hungry. I thought we weren’t suppose to be hungry. This is real hunger as well as cravings.

Hi all,
I’m 67 years old, had my sleeve surgery on Oct 10 along with a hiatal hernia repair and gallbladder removal. Was nauseous the first week but never vomited and was able to get down all the protien shakes and most of the Fluid requirements. Yesterday the nausea left but HUNGER returned with a vengeance. Any tips on getting through this phase and will the hunger diminish once I can begin eating some ground Proteins? On the next phase I can have cottage cheese, white fish and other soft proteins. Hoping once I can eat something that stays in the stomach longer I won’t feel so hungry. I thought we weren’t suppose to be hungry. This is real hunger as well as cravings.

Following!

I’m 8 days post op and felt real hunger for the first time today.

I was hungry the day after surgery. I was insanely hungry literally the day after surgery. it will get better once you start dense Protein, but you will still feel hunger. I am pretty much always hungry. had surgery almost 8 weeks ago.

7 minutes ago, Walter.Sobchak said:

I was hungry the day after surgery. I was insanely hungry literally the day after surgery. it will get better once you start dense Protein, but you will still feel hunger. I am pretty much always hungry. had surgery almost 8 weeks ago.

How do you handle being hungry all the time? Do you feel satisfied after eating for some length of time?

I'm 6 months out, and hungry all the time. I've tried everything, and it won't go away. But you know what? You can be hungry and still lose weight! I wish I was one of the lucky ones who was no longer hungry, but I'm not. I'm not thrilled that I've had to learn to live with hunger, but I'm thrilled that I can fit into skinny jeans, and I look forward to having my picture taken! Hang in there!

45 minutes ago, Mama V said:

I'm 6 months out, and hungry all the time. I've tried everything, and it won't go away. But you know what? You can be hungry and still lose weight! I wish I was one of the lucky ones who was no longer hungry, but I'm not. I'm not thrilled that I've had to learn to live with hunger, but I'm thrilled that I can fit into skinny jeans, and I look forward to having my picture taken! Hang in there!

I know I can lose weight being hungry. I’ve done that more times than I can count in my long life. That’s always been the problem, the hunger which leads to old ways and weight regain. That’s why I decided to take this last drastic step. I sure hope this will be the tool to long term success but I’m feeling reservations. I realize it wont be be easy and I’m willing to do the work. I know I’m very early on but I’m feeling scared. This would be the ultimate failure if it doesn’t work long term for me.

How do you handle being hungry all the time? Do you feel satisfied after eating for some length of time?

I typically feel hungry every two hours dense Proteins seems to help but I’m hungry every two hours

Are you on acid reducing meds like a proton pump inhibitor (omeaprazole or protonix?)

Early out acid can mimic feelings of hunger... like gnawing empty feelings. If you are on one you might need an increased dose.

And when I say early out I mean the first few months. I needed double my initial dose of protonix for 3 months.

9 hours ago, jess9395 said:

Are you on acid reducing meds like a proton pump inhibitor (omeaprazole or protonix?)

Early out acid can mimic feelings of hunger... like gnawing empty feelings. If you are on one you might need an increased dose.

And when I say early out I mean the first few months. I needed double my initial dose of protonix for 3 months.

Thanks, very good point, I am on omeaprazole, 20mg. I’ll talk with the surgeon next week on my first follow up.