Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone know someone who had the ESG procedure more than 2 years ago?

I'm wondering what folks are hearing about the long term effectiveness of the ESG procedure? I've seen the 1 year study (still effective) but am curious about what the early group of ESG pioneers are experiencing today. Is it still working? Would they do it again?

Only 400 ESG procedures were performed in the U.S. and Europe combined in 2015, so it is highly unlikely that anyone who replies will have undergone it more than 2 years ago.

It is still a very, very new procedure.

My best man, 10 years younger than me, had this op 14 days ago.

His surgeon said that, "international evidence is that you may not lose quite as much as other forms of bariatric surgery but you will have better healing, lesser risk of complications and a shorter recovery time."

He added, "whereas others of your relative mass of 190 kg and height of 1.91 metres (BMI 51) could expect to lose 50%-55% of their body mass, your likelihood, ON CURRENT EVIDENCE, is that after 18 months you might have only lost 43%-48% of your body mass. There exists a likelihood of a greater chance of failure or diet recidivism too ... typically about 8%-10% more people than with other WLS."

Jason expressed to me that if he could get under 115kg (BMI 31), he'd be excited by the extra mobility alone. And further success in reaching 100kg (BMI 27.5) would be utter joy.

I had read about ESG 3 yrs ago but couldn't find so much as a study where I could get it done. I got gastric plication which seems to be very similar in mechanism...the stomach is folded up to lessen its size. Plication has been very well accepted and used in Australia , NZ and some European countries for some yrs now with good results so I don't see why long term ESG results will be any different.

1 hour ago, Mountaingal said:

I had read about ESG 3 yrs ago but couldn't find so much as a study where I could get it done. I got gastric plication which seems to be very similar in mechanism...the stomach is folded up to lessen its size. Plication has been very well accepted and used in Australia , NZ and some European countries for some yrs now with good results so I don't see why long term ESG results will be any different.

Great point, Mountaingal. I agree with you on that. The idea is basically the same. I believe though plication involves cutting and staples to fold in the stomach while in ESG there is no cutting, done endoscopicly, and they use sutures or stitches to hold the stomach together. How you done gastric plication? What are your results if I may ask? Thanks for the insight.

Plication does not involve any cutting beyond the laproscopy incisions of which I had four. The stomach is folded into itself and stitched with two rows of stitches, no staples involved. I am very happy with my plication. I weigh 60lbs less than at surgery weight and have maintained that for 2 yrs. This was a fine amount of loss for me as my BMI was not very high. I wish this surgery was more popular as I think many people who will not consider more invasive surgeries would consider it.

14 hours ago, Mountaingal said:

Plication does not involve any cutting beyond the laproscopy incisions of which I had four. The stomach is folded into itself and stitched with two rows of stitches, no staples involved. I am very happy with my plication. I weigh 60lbs less than at surgery weight and have maintained that for 2 yrs. This was a fine amount of loss for me as my BMI was not very high. I wish this surgery was more popular as I think many people who will not consider more invasive surgeries would consider it.

First of all, congrats on those phenomenal results! That is amazing! What is most amazing is how you’ve maintained for 2 years. You really should be very proud because it does take a lot of work on your part to make the most of your tool.

When I said cutting I meant incisions in the stomach to access the actual stomach inside. Our procedures should be the same except they accessed your stomach through those 4 small incisions while mine was accessed through the mouth. I know you still have your stomach and it is just folded up with stitches or sutures just like mine should be. I also know that b/c our stomachs are still intact, we did not get any of it removed like in the traditional gastric sleeve, we have to struggle with our hunger issues because that gherlin hormone is still present.

If you don’t might me asking, what we’re your stats preop? Height? Weight? Age? I’m very curious to see how similar in stats we may be. It will motivate me to try to reach the amazing results you achieved!!

Firstly thank you so much for words of praise and encouragement. I think you have plication figured out perfectly now. Lots of pictures of the procedure on line if you want to see how they tuck the stomach up during the surgery.

I have no problem with sharing any info that will help anyone. Before surgery I was 255 having lost a little during the liver shrink diet. I am 5ft 71/2" (shrinking from 5'8" LOL). My highest weight was 275 several yrs ago. I am now between 190 and 195 not sure how accurate the scale is. I am now 66yrs old, heading for 67 so I was just past my 64th birthday at the time of surgery.

It is a daily battle for though I can't eat large meals I can certainly nibble between meals if I allow myself to do so. I sometimes think even after surgery eating and food take up far more of our energy and time than they should. That said it is so much nicer to not be carrying around that bag of "pig chow" as I imagined my fat. It got used up bit by bit as my body lost weight using it for fuel LOL.

Happy to chat any time and the best of luck on your journey. You can do this!

That is around my current weight now, mountaingal. I’m about at 190 but a bit shorter than you 5’5”. I’m stuck at this weight. I have been stuck here for almost two weeks. I’m very depressed because my ESG was only a month ago and I know the majority of your weight loss occurs in the beginning. I’m concerned that I spent all this $ (out of pocket) for a procedure that only gave me a 12 pound weight loss so far. I’m trying to keep positive and sticking to the plan but I’m not seeing results.

I exercise 4-5 times a week at the gym doing 40-45 minutes of cardio.

My meals are as follows: green smoothie for breakfast— 275 calories and 25g of Protein

lunch— Unjury chicken broth— 90 calories and 21g of protein

dinner— baked salmon with soft veggies or chicken breast strips cooked stir fry with soft veggies or eggs with broccoli and onions— each one has at least another 20 g of protein and no more than 400 Calories

snacks— Bone Broth only 50 calories and 10g of protein, protein water— 90 calories and 20 g protein, a sugar free fudgesicle or popsicle, a serving of sugar free jell-o, or nonfat Greek yogurt.

I’ve even upped my Water intake to 8-10 cups a day. Where am I going wrong?

Hey Hope4momof4 great post, thanks for adding the calories. You are getting more than enough Protein, couple minor suggestions. Here's how your diet compares to mine, I'm eating about 800-1000 calories per day:

2 eggs in morning, have less protein ( only 12G) but also less calories (125) than smoothy.

Morning snack non-fat yogurt. 17 gram protein, 90 calories

For lunch and dinner think about using a scale for protein and veggie portions.

For lunch I eat 3 ounces protein (usually chicken) 23 g protein, 200 calories.

Afternoon snack- sugar free pudding 60 calories

For dinner I'm using 3-4 ounces of protein and 1/4 cup of brown rice or Pasta and 1/4 cup of green veggies. Salmon 2x per week, chicken 2x per week, steak once. Usually about 300 calories, 20 grams protein.

One more thought if I look at weight loss by month, don't get too depressed with only first month, there's more weight loss to come. Stick to your plan, you can

Here's my weight loss by month:

First month 16 lbs

2nd month 13 lbs

3rd month 10 lbs

Let me know what you think, Tex

Hey Hope4momof4 you might not be doing anything wrong. Everyone is different and sometimes comparing ourselves to others is a very big mistake. I was told weight loss with this procedure was slower and lasted longer. I did not lose weight fast but just kept plodding along. Also I was heavier to begin with so it might have come off faster. Hang in there judging this at 4 weeks might be rather premature. I also was self pay so I understand how that plays in ones mind.Hang in there, give it time and and this will work for you. Congratulations on your dedication to exercise!

23 hours ago, Tex Slim 66 said:

Hey Hope4momof4 great post, thanks for adding the calories. You are getting more than enough Protein, couple minor suggestions. Here's how your diet compares to mine, I'm eating about 800-1000 calories per day:

2 eggs in morning, have less Protein ( only 12G) but also less calories (125) than smoothy.

Morning snack non-fat yogurt. 17 gram protein, 90 calories

For lunch and dinner think about using a scale for protein and veggie portions.

For lunch I eat 3 ounces protein (usually chicken) 23 g protein, 200 calories.

Afternoon snack- sugar free pudding 60 calories

For dinner I'm using 3-4 ounces of protein and 1/4 cup of brown rice or Pasta and 1/4 cup of green veggies. Salmon 2x per week, chicken 2x per week, steak once. Usually about 300 calories, 20 grams protein.

One more thought if I look at weight loss by month, don't get too depressed with only first month, there's more weight loss to come. Stick to your plan, you can

Here's my weight loss by month:

First month 16 lbs

2nd month 13 lbs

3rd month 10 lbs

Let me know what you think, Tex

Thanks again Tex. I think that you are right. My calories may be over 1000 for the day but I’m not sure if it’s because of the smoothie. I have been logging my food on the lose it app and it looks like my Snacks are doing me in!😣😖 I was meticulous for two days in logging in all my food and snacks were taking up 300-400 calories 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ I kept thinking, these are healthy snacks like nonfat Greek yogurt and sugar free popsicles and fudgsicles but too many of them add up. Yikes!! Plus I was drinking 2-3 protein waters a day. I may be getting more than enough protein but the calories were too much. I have also paid more attention to drinking Water. That is the only thing I’ll drink from now on. No more crystal lite either.

Your weight loss numbers are great Tex and I agree that as long as I continue to lose even if incremental I’ll get there. This is only my first month— I lost 12 pounds and you’ve lost 16 not much of a difference.

Thanks for making me feel better yet again. I’m going to look at my weight lose by the month and possibly it will put things in perspective.

Hope to post better news next time.

Hope4momof4, that's a really good catch on the snack calories! When I stalled the first time I was eating too many nuts in the evening before dinner. Back to drinking more Water and/or Crystal light when I did this I wasn't "hungry" before dinner. Don't get frustrated, we're all still learning how to live a new healthy life. It's totally normal to have a couple of potholes on the road. Finding them and fixing them is the key.

Maybe also check some other metrics like blood pressure, clothing size and blood work if you get some done. I saw major benefits in blood pressure (down ±20), down 4" inches in waist size and much lower total cholesterol and triglycerides. There are many other signs than weight that you are living so much more healthy. As you keep exercising you will grow muscle mass which add pounds (and adds metabolic activity !) so weight is not the whole story. Stay positive you are off to a great start! Have a great weekend!

Tex

On 3/8/2018 at 10:23 PM, Mountaingal said:

Hey Hope4momof4 you might not be doing anything wrong. Everyone is different and sometimes comparing ourselves to others is a very big mistake. I was told weight loss with this procedure was slower and lasted longer. I did not lose weight fast but just kept plodding along. Also I was heavier to begin with so it might have come off faster. Hang in there judging this at 4 weeks might be rather premature. I also was self pay so I understand how that plays in ones mind.Hang in there, give it time and and this will work for you. Congratulations on your dedication to exercise!

Hey Mountaingal. You are truly an inspiration. Here you are three years out and still very active on this forum. I believe that you have an inner strength and determination. What keeps you so motivated? This is my issue—I get initial results from any diet and once I stop seeing results I begin to lose that excitement and motivation. I start sabotaging my efforts with the idea of —what’s the point? Why try so hard when it’s not working? How do I get through this mentally? How do you do it everyday now for 3 years?

Thanks for the motivation. I know I have to be patient and get through this. You’re right we paid out of pocket and I’m not sure about you, but that was $ I could have used for many, many other things that my family needed.

I need to develop some way to steer clear of those sabotaging behaviors. If I’m not being too annoying, it’s ok anyone else in the ESG forum can tell you that I can be quite a nuisance🤣🤣, please give me some strategies you’ve used throughout the years to stay on track.

BTW, I have read about your journey on this forum. You are pretty amazing to say the least. I’m hoping some of your abdundant determination rubs off on me. Thank you for all of your kind words and advice.