Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie -surprising first consult

Hi Everyone. I'm new here, been stalking for a few weeks now. I really appreciate the support and advice everyone provides here, it has helped me navigate the beginning of my journey. :)

I had my first consult today. My surgeon agreed with me that my choice of Gastric Bypass was the best choice for me, due to my life long issues with acid reflux. I was very nervous going into the appointment, but found the doctor to be really informative, kind, and I appreciated he took his time when meeting with me. However, two parts of the meeting really surprised me.

First, my surgeon, and the practice for that matter, does not require a 2 week pre-op liquid diet. He stated I was the third patient to ask about it in the last week and he was unsure why. He stated he only does that with patients over 500lbs and would rather have his patients not risk malnutrition prior to surgery vs. minimally reducing the size of their liver (his words not mine). I was really surprised by this, as every single surgery story I've read required this pre-op liquid diet. As a personal choice I think I may start switching to Protein Shakes and liquids a few days prior to surgery to help myself mentally prepare for the change. The doctor said this was fine.

Second, I was shocked to find out my insurance does not have a 6 month wait/monitored diet requirement. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield NJ Direct. I have to have 1 meeting with a nutritionist, 1 psych eval, a letter from my primary care doctor, and the usual preoperative tests. The care manager had me pick a tentative surgery date today. At first she suggested 11/3/17 and due to the appointments needed and personal commitments I chose 12/1/17. This really threw me for a loop, I was not expecting to choose a surgery date at my first appointment. Don't get me wrong, I am very thankful my insurance is this good that I do not need to wait, I just expected more on my part and was prepared to have to do more/wait. It was a surprised nervous feeling, never expected things to move so quickly.

I was wondering if anyone else ran into these topics, especially the lack of need for the pre-op liquid diet?

Edited by TimeToDownSize

hi there and welcome! I'm pre op as well!

Sent from my SM-S907VL using BariatricPal mobile app

No I had to do the liquid diet but your surgeon/Dr. Knows what's best for you. I had to pay all out if pocket my insurance did not cover me at all.

Hi Everyone. I'm new here, been stalking for a few weeks now. I really appreciate the support and advice everyone provides here, it has helped me navigate the beginning of my journey. [emoji4]
I had my first consult today. My surgeon agreed with me that my choice of Gastric Bypass was the best choice for me, due to my life long issues with acid reflux. I was very nervous going into the appointment, but found the doctor to be really informative, kind, and I appreciated he took his time when meeting with me. However, two parts of the meeting really surprised me.
First, my surgeon, and the practice for that matter, does not require a 2 week pre-op liquid diet. He stated I was the third patient to ask about it in the last week and he was unsure why. He stated he only does that with patients over 500lbs and would rather have his patients not risk malnutrition prior to surgery vs. minimally reducing the size of their liver (his words not mine). I was really surprised by this, as every single surgery story I've read required this pre-op liquid diet. As a personal choice I think I may start switching to Protein Shakes and liquids a few days prior to surgery to help myself mentally prepare for the change. The doctor said this was fine.
Second, I was shocked to find out my insurance does not have a 6 month wait/monitored diet requirement. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield NJ Direct. I have to have 1 meeting with a nutritionist, 1 psych eval, a letter from my primary care doctor, and the usual preoperative tests. The care manager had me pick a tentative surgery date today. At first she suggested 11/3/17 and due to the appointments needed and personal commitments I chose 12/1/17. This really threw me for a loop, I was not expecting to choose a surgery date at my first appointment. Don't get me wrong, I am very thankful my insurance is this good that I do not need to wait, I just expected more on my part and was prepared to have to do more/wait. It was a surprised nervous feeling, never expected things to move so quickly.
I was wondering if anyone else ran into these topics, especially the lack of need for the pre-op liquid diet?

Hi! And welcome! I'm pre op too! This journey has been so exciting! I have Bcbs of Illinois and my requirements are the same as yours. I am pretty much finished with all my appointments besides the pre op visit they do right before surgery and my Dr. requires two pre op classes at his office before we can schedule surgery. Those I'm doing this and next week! [emoji2] I'm planning on having surgery end of November or beginning of December. I'm pleased with my insurance and hoping everything will run smoothly for approval since I have no other health issues besides a BMI of 48! Hopefully that will be sufficient enough. Good luck in your journey!

I had no pre op diet and no six months. I did just fine!

Me too I didn't do any diet before the surgery and everything went fine thanks God

Let's see if I can remember all the questions -- I'm 13 months out and down 102 pounds.

No 2 week liquid diet - however, I had a 2 week very low fat, 1000 calorie a day diet with the suggestion of 60 grams of Protein a day. So I did a shake for Breakfast, a salad with protein and lemon or balsamic vinegar for lunch and lean protein, salad and veg for dinner. It wasn't horrible.

My insurance had no wait period, but my practice required three months - which was basically long enough to get all the testing taken care of - I had to have pulmonary clearance (I have asthma), cardio, chest x-ray, barium swallow, endoscopy and psych eval. I had to meet with my nutrition team (registered dietician) once a month and learn about my post op eating plan and talk about any challenges pre-op. I had to attend at least 1 support group meeting.

I had to do a 1/2 day education session on the post-op eating phases (I had VSG) in the week prior to surgery. I had to track my foods during the process.

I had to attend an information session before scheduling an appointment with my surgeon My first visit with the team was 3 hours. I saw the nurse practitioner every month to follow up on blood work, etc.

My first appointment was on May 11. My surgery was on August 23. We didn't get to surgery dates until after we were confirmed approved by insurance. I was the first procedure on a Tuesday and was home by 1 pm Wednesday.

Best of luck!

This is the best decision I've ever made (after marrying my husband and having my two wonderful daughters.)