Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My BMI at my first appointment was 33.6, which is lower than many having procedure.

I have 5 comorbidities, besides being 65. My adult weight has been as low as 135 and as high as 240.

Dr. says results are still great at the BMI.

Any one with experience?

Been on pre op 4 days & down 13.7 lbs.

Sent from my XT1575 using BariatricPal mobile app

My high bmi was 35.6, and I had 3 comorbidities. I was down to 32ish at surgery 6 weeks ago. My cholesterol has dropped 50 percent, I just stopped my BP meds, and I'm no longer pre diabetic.

Since June 1st, I'm down from 195 to 162. Surgery weight 180.

I'm so happy I did this!

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

So great to hear. I get that you're not that big comment, but I am obviously not at a healthy weight, nor is my body doing good things. Grateful for your input.

I just had my surgery on Aug 21, 2017. When I went in to see the doctor the beginning of July, I was 31.8 BMI, 174lbs, 5'1". My doctor only put me on a 3-day pre-op diet, and on surgery day I was 31.1 BMI, 170. It has now been 35 days, and I am down 17lbs. I am so glad I did this surgery. I was afraid the doctor would tell me no when I first went in, but he was completely understanding and agreed it was better for me to get it done now before I was 40 BMI. I should also add, I did not have any co-morbidities. He gave me other options like lap-band and the balloon, but after much research, I decided gastric sleeve was a better option because it is permanent. I didn't want a temporary fix, because I knew once I lost the weight, I would have a really good likelihood of gaining it back once these devices were removed. I had such an easy surgery and recovery. The only issue was the bloating from the CO2 gas they use to blow up your body cavity....and that was just discomfort...not horribly painful. Ask your doctor if he uses Exparel....that was what my doctor used in my surgical site and I really had zero pain.

I just set my surgery date yesterday

I am young with a bmi of ~31. I am 31 and want this VSG before I turn 32.

I know people will judge me for going as far as getting 85% of my stomach permanently removed because I don't like being heavy. But you know what? Judge away.

I am a doctor myself. I have seen MANY MANY patients who are in their 30s-60s with BMI 30-35 who have basically zero success losing weight and go on to deal with problems.

I RARELY see people who go from bmi 30 something to 20 something and stay that way for life.

I have no kids yet but I know what obesity+pregnancy is about and I just DO NOT want to deal with that.

I know myself. I know how HARD it has been to manage this over the years. I cannot believe my BMI is over 30! I had tried diets, personal trainers, fasting, everything. I just can't seem to stop the gradual gain. I would say I've put on between 5-8 lbs a year for 6 years and I am stunned at where I have reached.

My WHOLE family is overweight or obese.

I initially thought no one in Canada would do it (privately OF COURSE) with a lower bmi and no comorbidities. I did WAY too much research about alternative providers in USA and even put a deposit to go to OCC in Mexico because my two local surgeons admin people were discouraging.

I eventually went to see one of my local surgeons and alas, he said yes. He agreed this is my best chance and controlling this problem for good and understands why I don't WANT to get to

1) Morbid obesity

2) hypertension, dyslipidemia, diabetes type 2, coronary disease, increased risk of breast and endometrial cancer, increased risk of obstetrical complications, increased risk of basically everything, more permanent joint pain, the list goes on

3) Lifelong dieting and yo yo in and misery

SO ALAS I will be able to do it in Canada. I am able to afford paying the extra ~5000CAD it will cost me relative to Mexico and I will have a tax receipt that may offset some of that extra cost anyways. Plus I get to stay home and not go an extremely long way to Mexico or deal with judgement from local doctors about the "legitimacy" of Medical Tourism. WELL worth it to me. I still have a good impression of Mexican surgeons from all I have read and really to think its a great option for anyone who can't afford the 15-20K it costs to do this in the first world.

I was hoping not to need to do the pre-op diet because I'm sure I don't have fatty liver but the surgeon said best to minimize any possible risk of hepatic laceration if possible. So I'll do it. I expect I wont even be 'obese' on my surgery date of Nov 14

i can't wait to be done with this

I don't know how slow or fast I will recover and lose

I'm scared to go under as I am sure everyone else is. Being a doctor doesn't make me less scared! My risk is very low but anytime you are going under general and operated you're at more risk than not doing that in the short term.

so thats my story! i'll post more as I go

canuckmd, so glad you've worked out the details and are on your way. I am finding the preop do-able, albeit a bit boring. Giving the surgeon a clear surgical field, with minimal risk for liver laceration is well worth being food-bored

I hope you do well! Please keep posting